Rate the Song: Invisible

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rate Invisible on a scale of 0 to 10.

• Total voters
I gave it 5/10.. its a ok song but lacks depth and warm organic sound.. i find this song too cold and computerised, and the chorus is a little too "teenager" for me..

Hope the album is better :D

I went ahead and gave it an '8' initially because of reasons I can't quite sort out.
Guess I just like it. Its quite a bit more impressive than Ordinary Love, its instantly recognizable, catchy, unmistakenly U2, etc.

I wouldn't surprised if a longer video is released to this and I also would be surprised if the album name was 'invisible'

My cats don't seem to hate it, and they are rather picky. So if it passes their test then it must not be too bad.

Scale of 1-10 compared to Boy/October/War period songs:
Invisible: 8
Other songs: 7

UF/JT/R&H period:
Invisible: 5.5
Other songs: 10

AB/Zooropa/POP period:
Invisible: 6.5
Other songs: 8.5 (would've been a 10 just for AB alone but the other 2 bring the score down)

ATYCLB/HTDAAB/NLOTH period:
Invisible: 7
Other songs: 5 (would've been much lower but BD, Kite, IALW, and COBL bring it up)

I gave it a 5.

I wanted to give it more but even though the song is good... it's certainly nothing groundbreaking. I feel that these days, U2 are devoid of any new ideas and any experimentation they try is too prescriptive and formulaic. It sounds too over-produced in the sense that it doesn't sound spontaneous.

Hopefully though... and I still live in hope, that this is one of the more 'accessible' tracks from the forthcoming album and its release as a freebie is a reflection of this.

If you want to hear a great comeback single, listen to the new release from Embrace. They've been away for eight years and have come back with something fresh and different :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI96y3I7ZHM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I never understand why people want U2 to be groundbreaking on every new album I am a U2 fan because well I like U2

I never understand why people want U2 to be groundbreaking on every new album I am a U2 fan because well I like U2

I know what you mean....every song needs to be 'the fly' or 'Fez-BB' or 'Mofo' or whatever. The new song does sound different enough to get people's attention, yet it still sounds U2*ish at the same time. That seems like a win-win to me...still not enough for some though.

I know what you mean....every song needs to be 'the fly' or 'Fez-BB' or 'Mofo' or whatever. The new song does sound different enough to get people's attention, yet it still sounds U2*ish at the same time. That seems like a win-win to me...still not enough for some though.

Totally correct oh well, how's your bush

For a long time U2 shifted gears to some pretty significant degree on each album. It's natural that this is one of the things that a lot of their fans really liked, part of what they found attractive to begin with, and would really like to see again. They've kind of switched from keeping a 20% core of U2 on each album while shaking up the 80% around it, to keeping 80% and slightly shuffling 20%.

For a long time U2 shifted gears to some pretty significant degree on each album. It's natural that this is one of the things that a lot of their fans really liked, part of what they found attractive to begin with, and would really like to see again. They've kind of switched from keeping a 20% core of U2 on each album while shaking up the 80% around it, to keeping 80% and slightly shuffling 20%.

Nice work with the ratio there. I'm one of those fans that liked how much they changed from album to album. I became a fan during ZOO TV when I was 13, and it was so exciting working backwards and hearing how different each album was. I never knew what to expect. The Unforgettable Fire was the last one that I heard and it came as such a shock. It sounded even stranger than Zooropa to me.

Passengers was their first album that came out when I was a real fan, and again I can't express the excitement that came with hearing the first notes of United Colours. I'd never heard anything like it, and couldn't wait to hear where the album would go. It took me a while to get it, but it was fascinating. This excitement continued with Pop and ATYCLB (though that was the first one I didn't like upon first listen). I never knew what the album was going to sound like, what they'd look like, what the art would be like...

Since ATYCLB they've become predictable, and it's frustrating to me as a fan of a band who's identity was largely defined by unpredictability and reinvention.

There are some bands who do the same thing over and over again, and there's nothing wrong with that. But U2 were never that band, but they have been for nearly half their existence now (!)...

Anyway, I'd like to change my vote from a 6 to a 7. It's a 7.5 for me, but I'll round down because I might just be excited. Invisible is quite good.

80-83: average quality
84-88: below average, it would have been a b-side
91-97: below average, would have been saved for the next album and maybe had parts salvaged
00-14: great, one of their best

But that's sorta bullshit...

There are two major shifts in U2's history... War to Unforgettable Fire... Rattle and Hum to Achtung Baby.

I don't consider Pop to All That You Can't Leave Behind to be in that same category... Although it certainly was a shift. I consider the post 2000 era U2 to be the culmination of all they ever did over the previous 20+ years of existence. If you took everything pre 2000 and put it in a blender, you'd have post 2000 U2.

Now does this mean they aren't "pushing the envelope" as much any more? Sure, I guess. But what exactly would you like them to do at this point that they haven't done before? I mean they've been post punk, they've been arena rock, they've been etherial and moody, they've been industrial, alternative, electronic and pop.

Tough to keep pushing envelopes when you've already opened most of them.

Their past history prevents them from doing much that wouldn't come off as forced (see Get On Your Boots).

At this point in their careers, all I want is for the music to be good. If they can break new ground I'm the process, that's just gravy.

Springsteen gets credit for "experimenting" with drum loops and samples on his last two records, and deservedly so... but U2's already done that.

So honestly... the push the envelope crowd? What exactly is it that you want that they haven't done already?

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

After a bunch more listens, I'm dropping from a 7 to 6. Still above average. And I have hopes that the album version will give us something better than that terrible outro/bridge.

After a bunch more listens, I'm dropping from a 7 to 6. Still above average. And I have hopes that the album version will give us something better than that terrible outro/bridge.

Let's be honest though you can listen to a song too much that you will start getting bored of it

There are two major shifts in U2's history... War to Unforgettable Fire... Rattle and Hum to Achtung Baby.

I don't consider Pop to All That You Can't Leave Behind to be in that same category... Although it certainly was a shift. I consider the post 2000 era U2 to be the culmination of all they ever did over the previous 20+ years of existence. If you took everything pre 2000 and put it in a blender, you'd have post 2000 U2.

Now does this mean they aren't "pushing the envelope" as much any more? Sure, I guess. But what exactly would you like them to do at this point that they haven't done before? I mean they've been post punk, they've been arena rock, they've been etherial and moody, they've been industrial, alternative, electronic and pop.

Tough to keep pushing envelopes when you've already opened most of them.

Their past history prevents them from doing much that wouldn't come off as forced (see Get On Your Boots).

At this point in their careers, all I want is for the music to be good. If they can break new ground I'm the process, that's just gravy.

Springsteen gets credit for "experimenting" with drum loops and samples on his last two records, and deservedly so... but U2's already done that.

So honestly... the push the envelope crowd? What exactly is it that you want that they haven't done already?

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Very good points. They've dipped a toe into almost every pool to some degree or another. Anything they haven't delved into at this point probably wouldn't really jive with them at this point.

They could go darker and heavier and start a storyline of how they used to listen to Metallica and Anthrax on the tour bus in the 80's

Those are big shifts, but it's not just about massive reinventions. Rattle and Hum was very different from The Joshua Tree, Zooropa was vastly different from Achtung, and Passengers even more so. I remember feeling Pop was a bit too much like Achtung, but it still had a whole bunch of sounds that they'd never used before. And it was a completely different kind of record from OST 1 and Zooropa.

ATCYLB was a huge shift. It wasn't a shock because they were using old sounds, but it was a dramatic change of sound, of style, of the type of songs they wrote...It was foreshadowed by the Sweetest Thing, Ground Beneath Her Feet, and Stateless, but it was still quite a surprise, and rather pleasant too.

U2000-14 isn't a mix of their first 20 years. They've basically ignored the sounds they introduced in the 90s and have focused on a clean version of the public's idea of what U2 sounds like.

As for "What do i want U2 to do?" Mainly write good songs, but I also want them to change. I don't know what I want them to sound like, but I know that I never would have thought they should make a record like Zooropa or Rattle and Hum. I want to be surprised. U2 spent 20 years surprising us, and it's hard to get used to them staying in one room. There are only so many things one band can do, though, so it's reasonable. Only so many different sounds are pleasant or inspiring to a person, and their lack of chops limits what they can do.

That being said, I'd love them to do a loud, heavy shoegaze style record, something like Jesu or Alcest. I think they'd do that really well. Just let the band serve as a canvas for Edge to create a world. It'll never happen though.

That being said, I'd love them to do a loud, heavy shoegaze style record, something like Jesu or Alcest. I think they'd do that really well. Just let the band serve as a canvas for Edge to create a world. It'll never happen though.

You have no fucking idea how happy I would be if this unlikeliest of scenarios somehow actually happened.

You have no fucking idea how happy I would be if this unlikeliest of scenarios somehow actually happened.

Based on your avatar I think I have a pretty good idea!

Nowhere is such a great album. Dreams Burn Down has always reminded me a bit of U2, until it explodes. Then it's just RIDE.

Rattle and Hum was very different from The Joshua Tree, Zooropa was vastly different from Achtung, I remember feeling Pop was a bit too much like Achtung,

I don't mean to be rude but I couldn't disagree with those statements any more if you held a gun to my head. The fact you even stated those things is bizarre to me.

I don't fully agree either, but seriously...Pop to ATYCLB was a ridiculously massive shift. A good chunk of the fanbase never fully recovered from it.

Back
Top Bottom