Rate The Album: Songs of Innocence (2 1/2 months later)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CosmoKramer

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Just rate the album and songs and after a week or so, Ill go through and get the average scores. So that we are all using the same rating system, the following is the scale(feel free to use 1/2 points or 1/4 points if it makes you happy):

10/10- Classic
9/10- Excellent
8/10-Very Good
7/10- Good
6/10-Pretty Good (missing something)
5/10-Average
4/10-Pretty Bad
3/10-Bad
2/10-Terrible
1/10-Epic Failure

I'll start it off(if you can rate everything in the following order it will make it easier for me to track):

Songs of Innocence: 8/10

The Miracle: 8/10
Every Breaking Wave: 9/10
California: 8/10
Song for Someone: 8/10
Iris: 7.5/10
Volcano: 7/10
Raised by Wolves: 5.5/10
Ceaderwood Road: 5/10
Sleep Like a Baby: 7/10
Reach Me Now: 7/10
Troubles: 6/10
Invisible: 8/10
Crystal Ballroom: 8.5/10
Lucifers Hands: 4.5/10
Sleep Alternate: 6.5/10
Troubles Alt: 4/10

Have at it Interference!

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Depends on the day. I'd give it no less than an 8 out of 10, and no more than an 8.5 out of 10. :wink:

Still loving it and listening to it on a daily basis. I still dont skip a track

9.5/10

9/10 definitely. The weakest track for me is most U2 fanatics' favorite. Go figure. But, of course, it's not a weak track at all.

I'm surprised how The Miracle has grown on me. California also did, but rather quickly.

Great ALBUM!!!! Oh, and I love the Deluxe Disc 2, even the acoustics have grown on me, particularly Raised By Wolves.

1.The Miracle: 8 This song has really grown on me.

2.Every Breaking Wave: 8. Acoustic version is fine but the album cut is better.

3.California 9 I think this could be the big song from the album if they market it right, it's an absolutely thrilling song.

4. Song For Someone:7 Another that has grown on me and could be a good single but I'll never be a huge fan.

5. Iris: 8 This song gets better every time I listen and it will probably end up getting a 9 at a later date. Bono's songs about his mum are nearly always classics eg Tomorrow and Lemon.

6. Volcano: 6 Liked it at first but is now my least favourite song.

7. Raised by Wolves: 7. Love the piano refrain, very Endless Deep, could end up being an 8.

8. Cedarwood Road: 9 Reminds me of Crumbs, just way better executed, like a Dublin based wild west song, very Dangermouse/Rome to my ears.

9. Sleep Like A Baby:9 Stunning, reminds me of the Zooropa album, love the subtle lyrics, the scuzzy guitar and the menacing creepy lullaby keyboards.

10. Reach Around:10 Everything about this song is utter perfection, it's already in the pantheon of my favourite U2 songs, as is track 11.

11. The Troubles: 10 Please, please please make this a single.The tie in with The Walking Dead showed the potential this track has as a soundtrack song. Getting Lykke Li involved was a genius move, she's perfect for U2, hope she appears on Songs of Experience.

Disc 2:

Lucifer's Hands: 6 A decent b-side but much much preferred Stingray Guitar.

Crystal Ballroom:9 Great song, should have made the album, could have been a single.

Acoustic : 6 Way better than i thought it would be, I just dont think that U2 are a band that should play acoustic, almost everything that makes them unique is lost when they do.

Invisible: 9 Love it. Shame it didnt get on the album

Sleep Like A Baby 2 : 6 Not a fan.

The Troubles 2 : 6, the original version is soooo much better.

The Miracle: 5.5/10
Every Breaking Wave: 6.5/10
Song for Someone: 5/10
California: 6.5/10
Iris: 6/10
Volcano: 7.5/10
Raised By Wolves: 7.5/10
Cedarwood Road: 7/10
Sleep Like a Baby Tonight: 7.5/10
Reach Around: 7/10
The Troubles: 7.5/10

Overall: 6/10

Somewhere between 4 and 5.

First seven songs are a 2 and last four songs are a solid 8.

I would rank it slightly behind AB and JT. I´m still amazed how powerful, ambitious and unconvential to their standards material they put out. Big respect!

9.5 out of 10 - EBW album version is still letting it down for me but I do still listen to it without skipping (yet!)

Pretty much everything average, so according to your rankings 5/10. I still like the single, the rest was so forgetful I skip them already when they come on shuffle. Bonus points for acoustic EBW though.

A solid 8/10 from me. There's not a track i skip and love The Crystal Ballroom.

A good bit better and certainly more cohesive than NLOTH and way, way better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

For me its the best thing they've done since the AB, Zooropa, Pop period.

Miracle -7-
EBW (Album) -9-
California -7-
Song for Someone -7-
Iris -6- I don't like the "hold me close", needs better chorus/hook. Love the second half, though.
Volcano -7-
Wolves -8-
Cedarwood -9-
SLABT -8-
Reach Me Now -8-
Troubles -8-
---
Crystall Ballroom -8-
Lucifer's Hands -7-
EBW (Acoustic) -8-
Invisible -9-
Ordinary Love (Epworth) -7-

---

The Sum of its Parts: 8

(I didn't bothered with the rest of acoustic/alternative material... it would've been 5 at best)

1.The Miracle: 8 This song has really grown on me.

2.Every Breaking Wave: 8. Acoustic version is fine but the album cut is better.

3.California 9 I think this could be the big song from the album if they market it right, it's an absolutely thrilling song.

4. Song For Someone:7 Another that has grown on me and could be a good single but I'll never be a huge fan.

5. Iris: 8 This song gets better every time I listen and it will probably end up getting a 9 at a later date. Bono's songs about his mum are nearly always classics eg Tomorrow and Lemon.

6. Volcano: 6 Liked it at first but is now my least favourite song.

7. Raised by Wolves: 7. Love the piano refrain, very Endless Deep, could end up being an 8.

8. Cedarwood Road: 9 Reminds me of Crumbs, just way better executed, like a Dublin based wild west song, very Dangermouse/Rome to my ears.

9. Sleep Like A Baby:9 Stunning, reminds me of the Zooropa album, love the subtle lyrics, the scuzzy guitar and the menacing creepy lullaby keyboards.

10. Reach Around:10 Everything about this song is utter perfection, it's already in the pantheon of my favourite U2 songs, as is track 11.

11. The Troubles: 10 Please, please please make this a single.The tie in with The Walking Dead showed the potential this track has as a soundtrack song. Getting Lykke Li involved was a genius move, she's perfect for U2, hope she appears on Songs of Experience.

Disc 2:

Lucifer's Hands: 6 A decent b-side but much much preferred Stingray Guitar.

Crystal Ballroom:9 Great song, should have made the album, could have been a single.

Acoustic : 6 Way better than i thought it would be, I just dont think that U2 are a band that should play acoustic, almost everything that makes them unique is lost when they do.

Invisible: 9 Love it. Shame it didnt get on the album

Sleep Like A Baby 2 : 6 Not a fan.

The Troubles 2 : 6, the original version is soooo much better.

Good ratings. I especially agree with 10/10 for Reach and The Troubles. Best songs in years. I love California now too after it first being my least favorite. Maybe because my 5 year old likes singing it :)

Overall it's a solid 8/10 rating. Best album of the 2000's by far

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

1. Every breaking wave 10/10
2. Cedarwood Road 9/10
3. The Troubles 9/10
4. Iris 9/10
5. California 8/10
6. Sleep like a baby tonight 8/10
7. Song for some one 7/10
8. Crystal Ballroom 7/10
9. The miracle 7/10
10. Raised by wolves 7/10
11. Lucifer's hands 7/10
12. Volcano 7/10
13. This is where you. ... 6/10

Sent from my GT-I9505 using U2 Interference mobile app

Miracle -7-
EBW (Album) -9-
California -7-
Song for Someone -7-
Iris -6- I don't like the "hold me close", needs better chorus/hook. Love the second half,

The 'hold me close' portion is just a setup for the '..light inside of me' payoff, imo.

Sent from my fingertips.

Iris is a clunky mess until after the first chorus. It jumps from one section to the other haphazardly, the worst being the "something in your eyes" part, which sounds like it belongs in a different song altogether. Eventually the song gets its act together though and it's fine, it just takes forever to get going.

Iris is a clunky mess until after the first chorus. It jumps from one section to the other haphazardly, the worst being the "something in your eyes" part, which sounds like it belongs in a different song altogether. Eventually the song gets its act together though and it's fine, it just takes forever to get going.

The only part of Iris I don't really like is the "see yourself to be yourself only you can free yourself" bit. Did she really say that Bono? Sounds a bit to much like a 2000s self help slogan/inspirational quote to me, but if she really did then the apple did not fall far from the tree!!

Miracle -7,5-
EBW (Album) -7,5-
California -9-
Song for Someone -6-
Iris -9,5-
Volcano -8-
Wolves -8,5-
Cedarwood -7-
SLABT -9-
Reach Me Now -8,5-
Troubles -9,5-
---
Crystall Ballroom -9,5-
Lucifer's Hands -7-
EBW (Acoustic) -9-
Invisible -8-
Ordinary Love (Epworth) -7,5-

Best album since POP! Fresh and fun, I love it!

Miracle -7,5-
EBW (Album) -7,5-
California -9-
Song for Someone -6-
Iris -9,5-
Volcano -8-
Wolves -8,5-
Cedarwood -7-
SLABT -9-
Reach Me Now -8,5-
Troubles -9,5-
---
Crystall Ballroom -9,5-
Lucifer's Hands -7-
EBW (Acoustic) -9-
Invisible -8-
Ordinary Love (Epworth) -7,5-

Best album since POP! Fresh and fun, I love it!

Best album since Pop sounds about right to me.

The Miracle: 6/10
Every Breaking Wave: 8/10
California: 7/10
Song for Someone: 7/10
Iris: 9/10
Volcano: 5/10
Raised by Wolves: 7/10
Ceaderwood Road: 7/10
Sleep Like a Baby: 8/10
Reach Me Now: 8/10
Troubles: 9/10
Invisible: 8/10
Crystal Ballroom: 9.5/10
Lucifers Hands: 5/10

SOI 7/10

The only part of Iris I don't really like is the "see yourself to be yourself only you can free yourself" bit. Did she really say that Bono? Sounds a bit to much like a 2000s self help slogan/inspirational quote to me, but if she really did then the apple did not fall far from the tree!!

:) :) :)
Bono in his mentor mode :)

Has this been stated by him ie that she used to say this line to him? I've either forgotten or didn't read that in the first place. I want to know that first before I comment..

Sent from my ass crack

I agree with this, I don't mind Iris but the beginning sounds so forced it really kind of sours me on the overall song.

I think I'd give the album a 7.5 overall? I can't remember what I gave it originally but I think it was about the same.

Songs of Innocence: 5.5/10

The Miracle: 4.5/10
Every Breaking Wave: 3.5/10
California: 5/10
Song for Someone: 1/10
Iris: 5.5/10
Volcano: 6/10
Raised by Wolves: 6.5/10
Ceaderwood Road: 7.5/10
Sleep Like a Baby: 8/10
Reach Around: 8.5/10
Troubles: 8/10