Rate: No Line on the Horizon Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How is NLOTH?

• 10: Best

Votes: 45 5.4%
  • 9: Masterpiece

Votes: 240 28.9%
  • 8: Extraordinary

Votes: 246 29.6%
  • 7: Great

Votes: 152 18.3%
  • 6: Good

Votes: 91 11.0%
  • 5: Average

Votes: 26 3.1%
  • 4: Mediocre

Votes: 16 1.9%
  • 3: Bad

Votes: 7 0.8%
  • 2: Terrible

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1: Worst

Votes: 8 1.0%

• Total voters
7 out of 10, at best. I wouldn't call it "great", by any means, though. Maybe "average" or "decent" in comparison to other albums out there. For U2, though, it's mediocre and it doesn't have songs as good as "Miracle Drug" and "Original of the Species" or "Stuck in a Moment" and "In a Little While", which I enjoyed most from the previous 2 albums.

I don't agree with the scale descriptions at all. I'd go with:

10: Flawless
9: Fantastic
8: Great
7: Good
6: Decent
5: Mediocre
4: Weak
3: Lousy
2: Terrible
1: Unlistenable

Separate options for "this is my favorite U2 song" and "this is my least favorite U2 song" could be interesting, but placing them on the 1-10 scale screws it up.

I don't agree with the scale descriptions at all. I'd go with:

10: Flawless
9: Fantastic
8: Great
7: Good
6: Decent
5: Mediocre
4: Weak
3: Lousy
2: Terrible
1: Unlistenable

Separate options for "this is my favorite U2 song" and "this is my least favorite U2 song" could be interesting, but placing them on the 1-10 scale screws it up.

I agree strongly. Mixing options for absolute quality and quality relative to other U2 songs makes things messy.

I was listening to atomic bomb today and it reminded me of how much i liked it. The only track skipped was one step closer.

Now when nloth came out i said it was better then bomb and atyclb but i must admit i only listen to a few tracks on a regular basis now

Got me thinking what the perfect album would be from the 3 in the 2000's and how many would make it from each album .Id go with

1 beautiful day
2 magnificent
3 sometimes you cant make it on your own
4 stuck in a moment
5 miracle drug
6 vertigo
7 city of blinding lights
8 breathe
9 kite
10 elevation
11 no line on the horizon
12 walk on

Now that would of been a masterpiece.

3 from nloth
5 from atyclb
4 from bomb

I was listening to atomic bomb today and it reminded me of how much i liked it. The only track skipped was one step closer.

Now when nloth came out i said it was better then bomb and atyclb but i must admit i only listen to a few tracks on a regular basis now

Got me thinking what the perfect album would be from the 3 in the 2000's and how many would make it from each album .Id go with

1 beautiful day
2 magnificent
3 sometimes you cant make it on your own
4 stuck in a moment
5 miracle drug
6 vertigo
7 city of blinding lights
8 breathe
9 kite
10 elevation
11 no line on the horizon
12 walk on

Now that would of been a masterpiece.

3 from nloth
5 from atyclb
4 from bomb

1 Beautiful Day
2 Magnificent
3 Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
4 Crumbs From Your Table
5 Miracle Drug
6 Vertigo
7 A Man and A Woman
8 Breathe
9 Kite
10 In A Little While
11 White as Snow
12 Walk On

5 Bomb
4 ATYCLB
3 No Line

Unknown caller came on random on my ipod yesterday, what an epic tune that is. I have fallen back in love with it!

And here's my track list.

1.breathe
2.vertigo
3.miracle drug
4.stuck in a moment
5.unknown caller
6.love an peace
7.no line on the horizon
8.beautiful day
9.moment of surrender
10.kite
11.sometimes you cant make it on your own
12.city of blinding lights

Sent from my GT-P3110 using U2 Interference mobile app

I loved nloth when it came out but now i dont really find myself listening to the whole album,infact i dont listen to many tracks at all

I listen to no line on the horizon and breathe and i would put those two tracks up there with anything theve done in the 00,s

I find myself always skipping magnificent.i loved it when it first came out but i find the middle section really boring and the gap between the verse and chorus to long winded.

Boots,mos,unknown caller and crazy tonight are alright but i very rarely listen to them.

Fez is different but i dont really listen to it

White as snow and suc are abit crap arent they and cedars ive hated since day one.

Ill have to downgrade it from a 9 when it came out to a 6 now!

Moment of surrender came on shuffle on my iPod,I haven't listened to this song in ages but I was reminded me of how great it is. It then made go back and listen to the album and wow,its a really great album!

Obviously there are a couple of weak tracks,but overall I have fallen back in love with it.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using U2 Interference mobile app

The highs are lower than the highs if any U2 album aside from NLOTH

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using U2 Interference mobile app

Id give it a 5, the only songs i ever listen now are breathe,no line on the horizon and moment of surrender. Dont listen to any of the other tracks. Loved it when it first came out but has not stood the test of time for me. Where as i still listen to songs of innocence from start to finish

Id give it a 5, the only songs i ever listen now are breathe,no line on the horizon and moment of surrender. Dont listen to any of the other tracks. Loved it when it first came out but has not stood the test of time for me. Where as i still listen to songs of innocence from start to finish
You're forgetting White As Snow, which is probably the most underrated song they've released since the 90s. It hearkens back to the sparseness of songs like Running to Stand Still, The First Time and If You Wear that Velvet Dress.

7/10

Stand Up Comedy is one the worst songs they've ever done. Boots had potential but is a clunky mess as it is. Same goes for Unknown Caller.

The rest of the album is pretty good though.

This is the ONLY album i actually wont listen to front to back.
I pulled the 3 songs i can tolerate off of it and put it in my U2 hits playlist.
This is by far their worst album imo.
BUT.. with that said.. i love the albums people dislike. Zooropa and Songs of Innocence are in my top 3.

Excellent album, i'd go as far to say it's their most underrated ahead of Pop.

Certainly doesn't deserve to be last on people's album rankings

6.5/10

Excellent atmospherics, but some of U2's most incomprehensible lyrics. Highlight is obviously the first three songs; fantastic music with mostly good lyrics (dock a point for some weird turns on the title track; tongue in my ear?) The middle "rawk" trio are fine, but they do not fit in and sound like they're beamed in from Atomic Bomb. Of the last three songs, Breathe is a good rocker but the other two are pretty low key. Some may like that, but I like my U2 swinging for the fences. The album "sounds" good, but Bono just wasn't on his A-game lyrically; the whole "writing from different characters" thing just doesn't read through the songs. The lyrical improvement on SOI was leaps and bounds.

Top Songs:
Moment of Surrender
Magnificent
No Line on the Horizon
Breathe

This album never clicked with me and while I enjoy some songs, I can't stand others...very up and down.

Enjoy: (in order of enjoyment)
1-Magnificent
2-Breathe
3-Moment of Surrender
4-Crazy Tonight (yes, I like it with its cheesy lyrics and all)

Don't like at all:
1-Cedars
2-White as Snow
3-Fez
4-Unknown Caller (soooooo much potential and the original lyrics I heard of this being played, would have bumped it into the enjoyable category)
5-SuC

Meh:
1-Boots
2-NLOTH

Overall the album is a 5/10 for me

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I'm with you here- but that middle 3 songs after MoS, for me, and the weird tonal shifts at the end of the album make this one a train wreck. I remember the first time I played the album I was in the car. When Crazy Tonight came on I audibly said, out loud, "WTF?". I hated Boots, along with its video, and think the album is one of the weakest lyrically since the first two.

I wanted to love this one- I wasn't a fan of Bomb and was hoping for something mixing krautrock, ambience, and energy like they said in the buildup, or what I heard in the Lanois trailer and beach clips. But this is a mess. I will occassionally play Breathe or Magnificent, or a live version of NLOTH, but otherwise I never listen to it. This was a bad one in my book.

This one, maybe more than any other record, is an example of where they should have trusted their gut, barred a personal need for acceptance on the pop charts, and just gone for it. The energy seemed with them- but man, too bad. This is off the mark, at least for me.

It's a mess that had the potential to be a masterpiece.

I like Crazy Tonight, don't hate Boots, and don't passionately hate SUC, but it's weird that they're all on the album. They sound like throwaway B-Sides for ATYCLB. No Line on the Horizon is best when it's stark and moody, and those middle three are giant WTFs for the ambience it's supposed to have.

It's a mess that had the potential to be a masterpiece.

I like Crazy Tonight, don't hate Boots, and don't passionately hate SUC, but it's weird that they're all on the album. They sound like throwaway B-Sides for ATYCLB. No Line on the Horizon is best when it's stark and moody, and those middle three are giant WTFs for the ambience it's supposed to have.

Couldn't agree more. This could have been a tight 9 track album with some Berlin-era Bowie Eno interludes, about 2-3 minutes each. I actually started to dislike this album more when I listened to the alternate tracks, beach clips, and Lanois documentary promos, where the raw or world music sound seemed a more natural fit than pure pop tracks. My track listing for this one would be:

1. Fez/Being Born
2. No Line ver. 2
3. Unknown Caller
4. MoS
5. Magnificent
6. Instrumental Interlude 1
7. Kingdom
8. Breathe
9. Interlude 2
10. White As Snow
11. Cedars of Lebanon

That's my version. No SUC, no Boots, no Crazy tonight, though I loved it live and thought the alt version with the dance track was great. If i kept it, I'd tuck it in right after Breathe instead of the 2nd interlude, transitioning to White As Snow with the muezzin call they used on tour. Trims some of the most regrettable and jarring lyrics on the album for me, which helps. Before I'd give it at best a 5. With these swaps I'd bump it to a 7 or 8.

Last edited:
6/10

Great songs:
Breathe
White As Snow
Magnificent

Good songs:
Fez-Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon
No Line On The Horizon
Moment of Surrender

Ok songs:
Stand Up Comedy

Bad songs:
Crazy Tonight
Unknown Caller

Awful songs:
Get On Your Boots

No Line is probably the first U2 album where this is a song I cannot stand, and that is Boots. Probably one of the worst U2 songs in their catalogue and they chose it to be the lead single for the album!

The album has some great moments but is so uneven. The mid section really lets it down.

Didn't really age as well as HTDAAB for me, some great song still but most I will skip if spotify reaches them. Shame it's downhill since atomic for me, new album didn't do anything for me (no song would be above 'meh' category). I just hope they can find a new direction and get out of this depressing dribble they've been making recently.

superb
Moment of Surrender
Magnificent

great
Fez-BeingBorn
Unknown Caller
Stand up Comedy
Crazy Tonight

bit meh
No Line on the Horizon
Get on Your Boots

Shit, won't listen again
Cedars of Lebanon
Breathe
White as Snow

OK, here goes:

7/10

Great songs:
Breathe
Cedars of Lebanon

Good songs:
Get On Your Boots (like overall but lyrics and 'let me in the sound' a little too clunky )
Magnificent
No Line On The Horizon (another chorus that was a level below the verses)
Moment of Surrender (chorus detracts from an otherwise great song)

Ok songs:
Unknown Caller
Fez-Being Born

Bad songs:
Crazy Tonight

Awful songs:
White As Snow
Stand Up Comedy

In thinking about this, this album might stand out from the rest in terms of how much
better the verses were than the choruses in so many songs. Not sure I can recall a U2 album with so much disparity between the two...so consistently.

The only songs I can't stomach on NLOTH are Crazy Tonight, SUC and Unknown Caller. If they had have swapped those out for Winter and the original Every Breaking Wave it would have been right up there with TJT and AB. The rest of the album is fantastic and still gets regular play from me.

Back
Top Bottom