Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I find it more unbelievable that 50 U2 fans gave it ten

This place never fails to amaze me either. As if its worth a 10!! lol

I give it a 7.

I just listened to it with Vertigo back to back. It IS Vertigo 2.0...just a better song than Vertigo.

It really pisses me off that you can't believe that a person can actually like to the point they give it a 10.

I did, I like it that way.
Why do guys have such a big problem with that???

just asking...

Honestly, a 1. If this is what the album is going to sound like I may be checking out as a U2 fan. A. the vocals, if this is the best bono can sound with all the studio effects they have then, it's over..have another cigarette. B. The guitar/groove of the song...the riff sounds like the first thing every guitar player or bassist figures out how to play while jamming in dads garage, but then tires of because its comepletely boring and stagnant. C. the lyrics... the phrase "douche chills" comes to mind. How many time came a 25 yr old guy rock out to how beautiful he is, and still maintain a heterosexual persona. I mean I can play the zootv opening for friends and not be ashamed... but this, i mean the first time somebody mentions this song to me i'll have to hang my head in shame for pumping these guys up for so long. D. The whole "this is a really cool guitar part because we left out the big epic solo -edge." That view lost its novelty a long time ago. I'd be happier if the edge just came out and said, "listen guys, actually i kinda suck, never really studied music and every good thing i've ever come up with was the result of copying and pasting tiny bits together." I really feel bono has lost touch with the music, and it's become just a job for him and the rest of the group. Long live POP, the last great era.

Get lost,asshole...as it's so obvious you just joined to bash the band...what's the phrase?..."Talkin' shit sayin' nohing"..that about sums you up

I'd just like to know- people who are giving this as eight, nine or even a ten, :scratch: do you honestly belive this song is up there with the fly, streets, pride, etc? I mean if you're rating this song an eight you obviously do believe it's up there with U2's best

I don't think "The Fly" deserves a 10.

However, I did give GOYB an 8 - about the same I'd give "The Fly".

Both songs have fun, yet strong lyrics that aren't corny (ala "Discotheque"). Both songs don't cater too much to the mainstream (ala "Desire" or "Beautiful Day"). Both songs are rather unique in sound for U2 (not a classic rocker like "Desire"). And while I admit GOYB is new, unlike many, I wasn't over-anxious for this song. When it came out, I downloaded it from iTunes, but I wasn't listening to every snippet offered. I heard the beach clips twice - months apart - and only obtained them just to see if any of those songs became actual tracks. So my anxiety wasn't high. Hence I don't have this "I love it because it's new U2" aspect. In contrast, I feel it is a solid song and a great lead track. But I'm not playing it non-stop.

However, one reason I didn't go higher is that it's not a "Pride" - something that not only was a powerful lead single, but a classic. Some may hate "Vertigo", but its catchiness made it an instant classic. WoWY is an outstanding ballad - simple in lyrics, but masterfully sung. Those are classics. In contrast, GOYB won't be quite remembered that high - but that's also part of its appeal. It won't be remembered and sung by every day people - much like "The Fly". And as a result, I appreciate that extra risk. That alone pushes both tracks up from a 7 to an 8.

Get lost,asshole...as it's so obvious you just joined to bash the band...what's the phrase?..."Talkin' shit sayin' nohing"..that about sums you up

very sad that someone cannot give an opinion on this forum without having a few dumshits like you retaliating. Get a life.

Insulting other members is against the rules. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. If you don't like it, find a way of expressing it without resorting to insults.

The same goes to you, andromeda.

I'm starting to think I would like it a lot more if "Vertigo" did not exist. It's just that the similarities between them are so many (rythm, main riff, general structure, both are 1st singles from their albums, "yeah, yeahs" become "hey, heys") that it actually makes me feel a little uncomfortable.

But I'm still listening to it on repeat. The neighbours are starting to complain.

Ok after several more listens of the song - I'm bumping it up to a 3 - just. The chorus is really what lets the song down - it's cringeworthy. The verses are ok - it has a nice edgy beat to it.

What really gets me is Lanois hyping it up as one of the best albums. I remember when Pop came out Bono was quotes as saying that Pop was one of their greatest albums. Why lie? You make yourself look bad.

Anyway - the only songs I would rate a 10 are the all time classics: Stay, Pride, One, WOWY. Boots, at best - maybe a 7, maybe.

I give it a 5. It was a 6 earlier today. It may get back there. They sound like a cross between Queen and Muse here, but that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing if the song was much good. Unfortunately, it isn't, IMO.

I never liked Mysterious Ways or EBTTRT, either (both bore me), but I still consider AB a classic, so this has no necessary impact on my expectations for the album as a whole.

very sad that someone cannot give an opinion on this forum without having a few dumshits like you retaliating. Get a life.

Uh yeah...that's right,Einstein.... when your post count reads 4 with the first post being the one ripping the band a new a-hole....then yes it's pretty obvious what the poster's intent is...this isn't youtube........if this person had a number of posts behind him and was critical of the single in a way that wasn't malicious....then there's no worries.....that post wasn't it.

Tough luck if the truth hurts...its very sad when you're too naive to know the difference between a personal critique and a troll basher.

Uh yeah...that's right,Einstein.... when your post count reads 4 with the first post being the one ripping the band a new a-hole....then yes it's pretty obvious what the poster's intent is...this isn't youtube........if this person had a number of posts behind him and was critical of the single in a way that wasn't malicious....then there's no worries.....that post wasn't it.

Tough luck if the truth hurts...its very sad when you're too naive to know the difference between a personal critique and a troll basher.

In case you havn't noticed there are a lot of new members on this forum since the single has come out.

Are you saying that because they are new and have only a few posts that they are not allowed to have a negative opinion on the song?

Opinions certainly have changed from last night after everyone was creaming their pants when it they first heard it....glad people wised up.

What's funny was everyone was commenting how this was the exact opposite of "Vertigo", while really it's just Vertigo re-written with a more electronic shine.

Loved the post that pointed out the "Yeah Yeah Yeah's" turned into "Hey Hey Hey's!"

I guess I have to reconcile the fact that since ATYCLB, their songs just don't have that much "weight" to them anymore.

Thanks for the laugh - i needed that after listening to the single. Ummm....you mean 84 posts??? I know i know it's hard to read sometimes.

I grew to love The Fly, also, but although I didn't like it much when I first heard it, there was something deep within it that made me feel it was a grower.

I don't find enough here to feel the same about Boots.

first time i heard the fly, i HATED it. excitement quickly turned to disgust. after several months, it became just ok. of course now, it's one of my alltime favorites. all i can say about this one is if this song is this album's vertigo, i cannot wait to hear the rest of the album. it is already setting up to be 10x better than HTDAAB. :up:

bugger off no one cares about you mean bashing of other forum members.

In case you havn't noticed there are a lot of new members on this forum since the single has come out.

Are you saying that because they are new and have only a few posts that they are not allowed to have a negative opinion on the song?

Did you actually look at the guy's first post or are you blind???...there are a couple of negative reviews by some first timers that are nowhere on the level of that guy's post...it's quite obvious he came on board to stir things up and the funny thing is..you're too naive to know the difference

Did you actually look at the guy's first post or are you blind???...there are a couple of negative reviews by some first timers that are nowhere on the level of that guy's post...it's quite obvious he came on board to stir things up and the funny thing is..you're too naive to know the difference

Oh yes he MUST be stirring shit because the single is just way too good to be knocked. I admit his comments were harsh - but I kinda agree with a lot of them. But hey if he was stirring shit then it worked!!!! Well done!

All the bickering needs to stop. People will have different opinions of the song. Someone (regardless of their post count) may legitimately think it's the worst song U2 have done. I may not agree with them, you may not agree with them, but attacking/insulting them isn't allowed.

And if you think someone posted something just to stir shit, then wouldn't the best thing be to ignore it so the shit remains unstirred? If the post is out of line and violates forum rules, use the report button.

Last edited:

I read his post and I agree with it to some extent. I don't think he came on to stir things up I think he came on to give his perfectly valid opinion. You need to get over it

I gave it a 7, but like alot of people said I think it's one of those songs that tend to grow on you after awhile.

Back
Top Bottom