Rate Boots!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

How do you rate Get On Your Boots?

Votes: 70 7.1%

Votes: 136 13.9%

Votes: 282 28.8%

Votes: 231 23.6%

Votes: 113 11.5%

Votes: 44 4.5%

Votes: 36 3.7%

Votes: 24 2.4%

Votes: 16 1.6%

Votes: 28 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I give it an 8. Of course like many have said... could go up or down in a few months after soaking it in and becoming the soundtrack of my life. On first listen tho I am pleased! Sounded pretty good on my home theater system with the base kickin'.

How would you go about fitting GOYB into HTDAAB? That's quite a challenge you would be taking on. You would have to surround it with some of the heavier b-sides, and even then, it still sounds like the work of a different producer.

Well my ABSOLUTE first opinion of it during my absolute first listen was that it sounded like the bastard child of vertigo and fast cars... (ok the production is different and in that respect it might not fit into htdaab but i'm not talking from a production point of view)

Ok i've listened to it a hell of a lot more since the first listen and it has grown on me (slightly) but i still cant get away from that vertigo/fast cars thing.... vertigo/fast cars = htdaab = not good

I have been a massive U2 fan for a long time and this is the only time i have ever felt disappointed by a first single.

I am going to reserve judgement til i've heard the album but i was really hoping for something quite different after the last two albums which i'm not a massive fan of to be honest...

i really REALLY miss the days when hearing a new U2 single and album used to scare me (in a good way) the last two albums didn't do that at all...

It's catchy. Especially the bass just seems to get stuck in my head somewhere. But the lyrics? Eh. And the whole "sound" bit seems like it was cut from another song and stuck in randomly. I do really like the "You don't know how beautiful you are" parts, though.

Not nearly enough change from Vertigo.

I was gonna give it a 6, but then I listened to it again and changed my vote to an 8.

I didn't give it a 10 because I was factoring in the excitement factor and the fact that it's new. Also, I really don't like the verses as much as I like the rest of the song; Edge singing "You don't know hoooow..." is excellent and the middle eight is a great twist.

^And it is a little similar to "Vertigo," as stated by others. I hate to say it, but it appears to be true.

i really REALLY miss the days when hearing a new U2 single and album used to scare me (in a good way) the last two albums didn't do that at all...

Exactly!

I was totally freaked out the first time I listened to Achtung Baby (still my absolute #1 album ever) and Zooropa. I was so psyched to feel that again and to hear something DIFFERENT and exciting, but so far Boots just sounds like Vertigo Pt II. I'm still optimistic for the album, though.

6...It's interesting, but I wouldn't consider it to be good.

Doesn't really have a catchy chorous. If they're trying to show off the different textures that the album will have, I say good, but if this is the catchiest song on the album (from a radio standpoint), then I think they may be in trouble.

its supposed to be a fun song......not change the world. and i think it succeeds as that. edge sounds great, the lyrics are better than vertigo, larry has a great drum song, the bass is driving. perhaps the sexy boots part is iffy...........but what the hell...........the production on this is way better than the crap on htdaab....there is a lot going on

Exactly!

I was totally freaked out the first time I listened to Achtung Baby (still my absolute #1 album ever) and Zooropa. I was so psyched to feel that again and to hear something DIFFERENT and exciting, but so far Boots just sounds like Vertigo Pt II. I'm still optimistic for the album, though.

yeah totally - numb, lemon, mofo, miami all scared the shit out of me and i fookin' loved it!

THAT was pushing new boundaries. - haven't had that feeling since 1997...

i know its pessimistic of me but i cant see anything that 'scary' being on this album... but lets see shall we :waiting:

I give it a 10 for the moment, but if I rate it again in a week it may drop to an 8 or 9. However, at the moment it just seems to be growing & growing!

its supposed to be a fun song......not change the world. and i think it succeeds as that. edge sounds great, the lyrics are better than vertigo, larry has a great drum song, the bass is driving. perhaps the sexy boots part is iffy...........but what the hell...........the production on this is way better than the crap on htdaab....there is a lot going on

I've seen a few people describe this as a "fun" or "light" song, which I find strange. Fun songs don't usually namecheck Satan or hint at suicide bombing and military-oil connections. It's not black and white, however, as the song obviously has some fun/joyful references. The reference to boots has a double meaning--one of which is military/violent and the other of which is sexy/fun. I also happen to think that the musical elements of the song very adequately keep pace with the duality of the lyrics--we have the hard-rocking, almost-metal riff juxtaposed with funky percussion and a scat-type delivery by Bono. You also have the middle eastern-tinged backing vocals from Edge, a very fuzzed out bass with bizarre guitar twanging after the first chorus, and a creepily seductive vocal from Bono throughout.

With all due respect to everyone's opinion, I think that equating this with Bomb musically and lyrically is quite imperceptive. There's a lot going on here. I appreciate the fact that U2 didn't go for the most immediate sound possible like they did for the last 2 lead-off singles. The fact that this one can go in the middle of the album speaks volumes about U2's album approach--this one actually "fits" into the album; it doesn't have to be a lead-off world-beater, but rather can humbly nestle in with the rest.

Well people who say its not catchy should listen to the radio presenters and general people who think U2 are ok but nothing more. Examples:-

Radio 1
Chris Moyles crew all loved it right from the word go
Sara Cox - Its amazing! sounds so young and fresh
Edith Bowman - I Love it it really does rock

I have talked to several of my friends today who have all heard it and none of them are big U2 fans and all of them have commented on how good the think the track is and how different it sounds fromanything else out there

This song is soo catchy its untrue the riff and bass line are simply brilliant

Honestly, a 1. If this is what the album is going to sound like I may be checking out as a U2 fan. A. the vocals, if this is the best bono can sound with all the studio effects they have then, it's over..have another cigarette. B. The guitar/groove of the song...the riff sounds like the first thing every guitar player or bassist figures out how to play while jamming in dads garage, but then tires of because its comepletely boring and stagnant. C. the lyrics... the phrase "douche chills" comes to mind. How many time came a 25 yr old guy rock out to how beautiful he is, and still maintain a heterosexual persona. I mean I can play the zootv opening for friends and not be ashamed... but this, i mean the first time somebody mentions this song to me i'll have to hang my head in shame for pumping these guys up for so long. D. The whole "this is a really cool guitar part because we left out the big epic solo -edge." That view lost its novelty a long time ago. I'd be happier if the edge just came out and said, "listen guys, actually i kinda suck, never really studied music and every good thing i've ever come up with was the result of copying and pasting tiny bits together." I really feel bono has lost touch with the music, and it's become just a job for him and the rest of the group. Long live POP, the last great era.

Honestly, a 1. If this is what the album is going to sound like I may be checking out as a U2 fan. A. the vocals, if this is the best bono can sound with all the studio effects they have then, it's over..have another cigarette. B. The guitar/groove of the song...the riff sounds like the first thing every guitar player or bassist figures out how to play while jamming in dads garage, but then tires of because its comepletely boring and stagnant. C. the lyrics... the phrase "douche chills" comes to mind. How many time came a 25 yr old guy rock out to how beautiful he is, and still maintain a heterosexual persona. I mean I can play the zootv opening for friends and not be ashamed... but this, i mean the first time somebody mentions this song to me i'll have to hang my head in shame for pumping these guys up for so long. D. The whole "this is a really cool guitar part because we left out the big epic solo -edge." That view lost its novelty a long time ago. I'd be happier if the edge just came out and said, "listen guys, actually i kinda suck, never really studied music and every good thing i've ever come up with was the result of copying and pasting tiny bits together." I really feel bono has lost touch with the music, and it's become just a job for him and the rest of the group. Long live POP, the last great era.

What a load of Boll****!

I laughed out loud at least 4 times while reading this post. I guess it's kinda sad that you feel that way though. Will we never get a 2nd post?

it is kinda sad isnt it, and thanks andyuk, i knew if i gave an honest thought out opinion on here it would be respected and responded to in kind. keep on living andy because you dont know how beautiful you are..gag

4 Better than some of their recent lame ‘rock’ efforts (Vertigo, All Because of You), but nowhere near as good as some of their historical efforts (Beautiful Day, any of those off Pop or Achtung). Also hope it’s not indicative of the rest of the album. Do think it’s a sign of more effort being put in though, so there’s that. It’s catchy. It will get spins initially. Won’t be as big as the last two lead singles. Runs a high risk of being hated by the general public.

It's a little above average on some Hypothetical Song Scale, so I gave it a 6. There are some interesting, creative ideas in the song, but it doesn't come together. Particularly the ending- I can practically guarantee live that U2 are going to work that final bridge up, at which point everyone looks at this version again and wonder just why it's not like that on the album.

What does "laughter is eternity if joy is real" mean?

any more negativity........come on you can do it............

negativity? if you are a member of the band than expect you to take this personally, if not, try and gain some perspective, i have a negative opinion of this song, that is all, it's not super happy funtime where i love every note these guys put out, you wanna make an arguement with something i mentioned than do it, otherwise stop wasting your time

Back
Top Bottom