Ranking the songs after >10 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And unknown caller? Another low ranking gem. What not great about this song? Its a great one. The guitar work is top shelf. I heard when the tour starts the play stand up comedy 8 times and unknown caller 7 times. And standup comedy is the encor! Enjoy all
I actually like the song but its not popular around here (the forum) if it makes you feel any better, Crazy Tonight is hated even more and I think its the 3rd best song on the album.

Magnificent-Classic
Breathe-Classic
Crazy Tonight-Great
MOS-Great
Boots/Stand Up-Good
Stand up/boots-Good
NLOTH-Good
Unknown Caller-okay
the "other 3"-Barf

This is a very good album, extremely different from anything they've done before, and it's turning out to be very underrated, and I think it's already lost on the mainstream listeners.

Best Song - 1. Stand-Up Comedy
2. Fez (wonder if they'll remix this one??)
3. Breathe
4. Magnificent (remixes are awesome)
5. Boots (Love the psychedelic licks)
6. No Line
7. Crazy
8. MOS
9. UC (The organ/horn ruined this gem - if not for these might be my #1)
10. WAS
11. Cedars

EDIT**********************

I just read through the previous threads.......What the hell is with the hate on Stand-Up?!!??!?!

i think in ranking s.u.p. so low you are now the u2 fan that confuses U2. they love this song. and Edge loves playing it

after around 100 listens, mine has settled here for now. it changes a lot, especially the top 5. couple of things are constant, SUC is embarrassing. magnificent is a good song and i like it, but sounds like u2 by the numbers to me and don't really get why so many rank it so high. boots is still very mediocre. i hate that there are so many good songs on this album and they will be playing suc and boots every night.

1. no line on the horizon
2. breathe
3. cedars
4. mos
5. white as snow
6. unknown caller
7. crazy tonight
8. fez
9. magnificent
10. boots
11. suc

Breathe:drool: A+
Magnificent A+
MOS A+
Unknown Caller A+
IGCIIDGCT A+
Stand Up Comedy A-
White As Snow A-
GOYB B
Fez-Being Born B-
NLOTH B-
Cedars Of Lebanon C:reject:

Updated Rankings

MOS 10/10
Breathe 10/10
Magnificent 10/10
UC 9/10
Cedars 8.5/10
White As Snow 8.5/10
FBB 8.5/10
Crazy Tonight 8.5/10
GOYB 8/10
NLOTH 8/10
SUC 7/10

This is a very good album, extremely different from anything they've done before, and it's turning out to be very underrated, and I think it's already lost on the mainstream listeners.

That wouldn't be a first. :up:
And you are right by the way. :wink:
My line up is differerent, but who's isn't?

MOS - 10/10
Magnificent - 10/10
Fez -Being Born 10/10
NLOTH 10/10
White As Snow -10/10
Breathe - 10/10
Cedars of Lebanon -10/10
Unknown Caller - 10/10
GOYB - 9/10
SUC 9/10
Crazy Tonight - 8/10

1 Magnificent
2 Breathe
3 Moment of Surrender
4 No Line on the Horizon
5 I'll go Crazy if I don't go Crazy tonight
6 Unknown Caller
7 Get On Your Boots
8 Fez- Being Born
9 Stand up Comedy
10 Cedars of Lebanon
11 White as Snow

I will add that any of the first three can be interchangeable. And I really don't think there is a "bad" song on this album. They made the album I wanted them to make.

big shakeup on my list:

Unknown Caller
White As Snow
No Line On The Horizon
Fez-Being Born
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Winter
Cedars Of Lebanon
Get On Your Boots
Breathe
Crazy Tonight
Stand Up Comedy

Ok here's my list:

1 - Magnificent
A very good song on the whole. Although as I said in a previous thread, there are other songs on this album that compete with it.

2 - Moment Of Surrender
It is a good song. But it's way too long. I know a lot of people think it's justified in it's length, but I personally still think it aught to be a bit shorter. Still a good song anyway.

3 - White As Snow
I think this is a very good song. Not an obvious favourite for most out there, it is a bit slow, but when I'm in the mood for the song I think it's really good.

4 - Breathe
Another good song. Nothing wrong with it. I don't always listen to it though, I think I need to be in the mood for it.

5 - Fez - Being Born
This is a good, experimental piece of work. At first it was one of my favourites. Gone slightly down these days as I think it was a shower rather than a grower, but yeah it's still a decent song.

6 - No Line On The Horizon
Decent song. For some reason though I rarely listen to it. I just think it's a good song, but that's as far as it goes really.

7 - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
The tune is decent and I'm up for listening to it most of the time. But two things put me off, one being some of the lyrics, and two being Bono's ridiculous falsetto vocals that he can't pull off (in certain bits) of the song.

8 - Cedars Of Lebanon
Most of the time I find it boring and find that there's too many syllables squeezed into a short space of time which slightly puts me off. However, when I'm in the mood for the song I think it's really good.

9 - Unknown Caller
I'm sorry, I just don't like it. I've given it a chance and have decided that this is not a song I enjoy. It's mainly the chorus for me - The lyrics sound forced and silly for the sake of being abnormal. Flame me all you want, but that's how I feel about the song. Also, the opening riff sounds way too similar to walk on.

10 - Stand Up Comedy
Again, I don't like it. And for me, the lyrics are even worse than that of UC, which is why it ranks lower. Bono's going on about standing up for poverty and all that stuff, the sort of stuff that puts people off the man. I guess in all fairness the tune itself is ok (although a bit unoriginal), but the lyrics destroy it for me.

11 - Get On Your Boots
IMO it was a terrible mistake to release this as the first single. This is because 1 - it doesn't fit on the album or represent it in the slightest, and 2 - it's just a plain bad song. It's a poor man's vertigo.

updated list

MOS
Magnificent
UC
NLOTH
Cedars
Breathe
Crazy
FEZ
WAS
SUC
Boots

MOS
Magnificent
Breathe/UC
NLOTH
Cedars
Fez
Crazy
WAS
SUC
Boots

But like others said, I don't really hate/skip any song.

MOS
Magnificent
Breathe/UC
NLOTH
Cedars
Fez
Crazy
WAS
SUC
Boots

But like others said, I don't really hate/skip any song.

good to see you're liking the new album. i just wish i liked Breathe more, though the live version was pretty cool.

Classic, 10
Unknown caller
Moment of Surrender
White as Snow
Magnificent

Awesome, 9
Breathe
No Line on the Horizon
Cedars of Lebanon

Great, 8
Fez- Being Born
(NLOTH 2)...maybe

Pretty good, 7
Stand Up Comedy
Crazy Tonight
Get on Your Boots

Decent enough, 6
(Winter)

The last three songs are all saved by their last third (or there about)

What I think now

Classic
Moment of Surrender
White as Snow

Awesome
Magnificent
Unknown Caller
Breathe

Great
Cedars of Lebanon
Fez

Good to Great
NLOTH

Good
SUC
Crazy Tonight
Boots
NLOTH 2
Winter

good to see you're liking the new album. i just wish i liked Breathe more, though the live version was pretty cool.

At first I only liked the chorus on Breathe and then it just clicked, maybe the live version helped, I don't know. It's interesting that even my least favourite song - Boots - still is a better song to me than the weakest song on any of the albums after AB.

Yeah, I like it a lot and I think it will age well ... I think the main reason it's this good is Bono's heavily improved lyrics - I don't mind the other 00s albums but he was the weakest link. I had two hopes: I felt they can make a better record than Zooropa/Pop/ATYCLB/Bomb (which IMO has happened) and I was expecting a proper album with a theme (which may not be as big as JT or AB, but there are hints of it) - but I guess Songs of Ascent will be a bigger "theme" album.

unknown caller
moment
magnificent
no line
fez
cedars/ boots/ breathe
stand up comedy
white as snow
crazy

good to see that Unkown Caller is growing on people. it's the first song i choose to listen to now.

1 - Magnificient :)heart:)
2 - MOS (Perfection in motion)
3 - Cedars (Holy Crap, it's not crap :D :love:)
4 - I'll Go Crazy (Who says POP songs can't be good? :up:)
5 - SUC (No, you don't suc! :rockon:)
6 - Breathe (It is U2 :))
7 - Boots (Your Sound is weird but awsome)
8 - NLOTH (You're in this spot just because NLOTH2 exists)
9 - WAS (There's something missing on it)
10 - Unkown Caller (it doesn't connect with me)
11 - FEZ (annoying, don't ask me why)

WoW now that my excitement about a new U2 album is over I'm starting to realise there are so many mediocre songs on it and even two terrible ones.
But I'm happy there is also the magnificent Magnificent. :D

1 - Magnificient; the best song and miles ahead of the rest, if only the rest of the album was that good. It somehow sounds like an UF/JT song but at the same time it doesn't.
This is the U2 sound I love to hear
---------------------------------
2. Crazy Tonight; Great song as well, love the guitar sound.
---------------------------------
3. MoS; Very nice, love bono's singing.
4. Stand Up Comedy; Thought the song was a mess at first. But I'm starting to like it, cool riff.
5. Get on Your Boots; Was cool when I first heard it, then I played it to death:)doh:), but now after a break it sounds pretty cool again :)
6.Cedars; nice vocals on a nice ENO song.
7. NLOTH; Would've been 2nd on this list if it were NLOTH2, NLOTH1 is dull and never takes off for me. NLOTH2 is (almost) as great as Lady with the Spinning Head.
8. FEZ - Being Born. Good tune but would've rather wanted it without the Bono screams at the start of Being Born as if he was delivering a child at that moment.
9. Unknown Caller. Loses me at the intro, the rest is nice but yeah the thought of waiting 1/2 minutes for the song to begin puts me off. I prefer Walk On.
10. Breathe - This song does nothing for me, sounds as if it was a weak HTDAAB B-side, you get the point.
11. White As Snow - Bores me to Death, U2 + acoustic has always been a bad combination and this proves it.

No Line On The Horizon is the best song on the album. It just has a swagger to it. The way he sings the "its me that wants to get away" brings me back to Rattle and Hum days.

I know you've all been aching to know this. So I'll just tell you.

This is the order of the songs I was most excited about before hearing them:

1. Unknown Caller
2. Breathe
3. Cedars of Lebanon
4. NLOTH/Fez
5. Magnificent/MOS/Crazy
6. White as Snow
7. Stand Up Comedy

Today, this is how I love them:

1. Magnificent
2. Moment of Surrender
3. Fez-Being Born
4. Get on Your Boots
5. No Line on the Horizon
6. Breathe
7. Unknown Caller
8. Crazy Tonight
9. White as Snow
10. Cedars of Lebanon
11. Stand Up Comedy

And the only one I have really much of a beef with is SUC!

untouchable:
  • NLOTH
  • Breathe
  • Being Born (skip the Fez interlude)

solid:
  • MOS
  • UC
  • Magnificent
  • GOYB

ok-ish:
  • Crazy
  • SUC

kinda sucky:
  • Cedars
  • WaS

My order has been shook up a little bit, I think:

1. Breathe
2. NLOTH
3. MOS
4. Magnificent
5. Cedars
6. White As Snow
7. Fez-Being Born*
8. Stand Up Comedy
9. Crazy Tonight
10. Unknown Caller*
11. GOYB

*Will likely climb up the list when/if performed live

My order has been shook up a little bit, I think:

1. Breathe
2. NLOTH
3. MOS
4. Magnificent
5. Cedars
6. White As Snow
7. Fez-Being Born*
8. Stand Up Comedy
9. Crazy Tonight
10. Unknown Caller*
11. GOYB

*Will likely climb up the list when/if performed live

i WILL get you to love Unknown Caller. :wink:

here's my updated list:

1. No Line On The Horizon
  2. Unknown Caller
  3. Fez-Being Born
  4. Moment Of Surrender
  5. Stand Up Comedy (yes, i finally love this song. it just clicked the other day)
  6. Magnificent
  7. White As Snow
  8. Cedars Of Lebanon
  9. Get On Your Boots
  10. Breathe
  11. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight

Back
Top Bottom