Ranking the songs after >10 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 . Magnificent
2. NLOTH
3. Moment Of Surrender
4. Breathe
5. FEZ-being born
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Cedars of Lebanon
8. IGCIIDGCT
9 . White As Snow
10. Unknown Caller
11. SUC

Hard to nail down but here's how I rank the songs on this mother of all albums:

1. Moment of surrender (What can I say It's holy)
2. Unknown Caller (Epic and fresh in it's digitalness)
3. NLOTH (I mean really? just sick)
4. Magnificent (Magnificent)
5. Cedars of Lebanon (Dark, Twisted, moody)
6. Fez - Being Born (Two songs stuck together almost bipolar just brilliant)
7. SUC (Bring on the funk and soul)
8. Boots (I don't care the song is truly reivention)
9. Crazy (I just want to smile and run around naked)
10. Breathe (Awesome U2 at thier most U2ist)
11. White as snow (A sad song that always has it's moment)

All in all I would rate the album as a whole "Classic and Futurisitc" right up there with Achtung and Joshua. I mean there just isn't another group that can deliver this kind of soul searching, rock out, experimental and yes just plain brilliant work. There is not one U2 album I dislike and this just adds another great album to my consciousness.:hyper:

1. Magnificent
2. Breathe
3. Get on you Boots
4. Unknown Caller
5. Stand Up Comedy-NLOTH tie
6. IGCIIDGCT
7. MOS- a lot of people like it i know, i can change my opinion as time passes
8. white as snow- amazing song
9. FEZ
10. Cedars Of Lebanon

I love all the album

No Line 4/5
Magnificent 5/5
MOS 2/5 (shoot me, I think this song blows. Too much Lanois influence)
Unknown Caller 4/5
Crazy 2.5/5
GOYB 5/5)
Stand Up Comedy 4/5
Fez-Being Born 5/5
White as Snow 4/5
Breathe 4/5
Cedars of Lebanon 3/5

No Line On The Horizon 4.5/5
Magnificent 5/5
Moment Of Surrender 5/5
Unknown Caller 4/5
I'll Go Crazy 3.5/5 (live 4/5)
Sexy Boots 3/5
Stand Up Comedy 4/5
Fez - Being Born 5/5
White As Snow i really love 5/5
Breathe 5/5 (in particular live!)
Cedars Of Lebanon 4.5/5

a very good album.

It's been nearly a month, so here goes:

No Line on the Horizon 4/5
[Really strong opener - and a real grower too. I'm surprised at how much this keeps revealing]

Magnificent 4/5
[Good, with a really great chorus, some nice slide guitar too, though not the great song it might have been]

Moment of Surrender 5/5
[What an incredible song - who thought they could have produced something this good so late in their career? That first line is just superb, the chorus is great, the lyrics are excellent, and Eno's broken cartwheel sequence underneath the track is just a lovely touch. Who knows where the 7.20 goes - it never drags.]

Unknown Caller 4/5
[That intro is amazing, Edge's chiming guitar back again and a little irritating, but the song is saved by a chorus that I had stuck in my head from the time I saw it in Lanois's film. Love the arrangement of this song too: just different enough to be really intriguing and to keep rewarding repeated listens]

Crazy Tonight 3/5
[Chorus is great, chiming guitar is irritating, and the 'Baby, baby, baby' bit just puts me off]

Get On Your Boots 3.5/5
[I love the percussion loop in the first verse, but the track itself is a little too forced and too loud. Still can't get my head around the 'You don't know...' part which I find a little too disruptive, but the 'Let me in the sound' part is excellent]

Stand Up Comedy 2/5
['Stop helping God across the road like a little old lady' - enough said]

Fez - Being Born 4/5
[Again really interesting mix of styles and driving guitar. The arrangement is perhaps the most curious thing about this track - where is this going to? Answer: nowhere really, with no chorus, but three parallel verses that are still intriguing and keep giving more. There's Edge's chiming guitar again at the end though, which does grate a little. Can someone take it off him/turn it down/off?]

White As Snow 3.5/5
[Nice song, whose lyrics still remind me of 'Peace on Earth' in the first verse. The intro with the backwards loop is great and the Morricone-style French horn bridge is really good too, but it doesn't quite reach the heights it might, or those that 'Cedars of Lebanon' manages. Still, a good link at this point in the album and makes sense in context]

Breathe 3/5
[Great rolling drum and cello intro, great verses with a brilliant vocal delivery, less interesting bridge to the choruses, even less interesting and blindingly obvious (I might even say boring) chorus, which lets the song down a little. Seems a little too much like 'U2 by numbers' - as the critics are wont to write - for my tastes]

Cedars of Lebanon 4.5/5
[Now this is more like it and one of their best endings to an album. Lanois using the sample of Eno and Harold Budd, with the guitar moving through it is an inspired start, followed by one of Larry Mullen's most interesting drum tracks on the album (interesting for its understated simplicity), with a brilliant 'Walk to the Water' vocal delivery from Bono and one of the most interesting lyrics he's written in years. Eno's addition of the background samples that jump in and out of the second verse is brilliant, and then there's that chorus and the short bridge to the final verse that is possibly my favourite 'moment' of the album. Great finish]

No Line On The Horizon 4/5 - kick ass song. Loud, energetic, dark, arty lyrics (she said time is irrelevant, it's not linear) and a bit of fun in there too ('then she stuck her tongue in my ear, oh no woo woo woo woo-oh'). Not sure about the ending though - kinda just fades out, should have ended in a blaze of glory with another chorus or a guitar solo...

Magnificent 5/5 - amazing song. Magnificent is right. U2 are the only band in the world who can produce this kind of work - it is an uplifting, soaring, epic song. Sounds even better when played to visuals of your favourite sports team coming from behind to win (c'mon Ireland!)

Moment Of Surrender 5/5 - great vocal, great bass (this could be Adam Claytons best work?), great lyrics, great everything to be honest. I love it.

Unknown Caller 5/5 - a really unusual one but it is starting to be my favourite. At first the lyrics seem throwaway but then they reveal themselves with each further listen. Really interesting guitar work from Edge and one of his best album solos (usually he reserves the killer solos for live shows - with his best solos of all time being live efforts of Bullet the Blue Sky, Love is Blindness, All Along the Watchtower and Street Mission)

I'll Go Crazy 3.5/5 - haven't quite cracked this one yet. It's the catchiest and most accessible tune on the album. Some nice lyrics in there but it's not in the topp 100 U2 songs for me unfortunatley. Not so far anyway.

Sexy Boots 4/5 - terrible choice for a lead single. Gave the wrong impression for the album and put doubts in peoples minds. I agree with PookaMacP - still don't know if I like the 'You don't know...' part. Having said all of that it does eventually grow on you though. The guitar riff is great. It really gets into your head. I love the vocal delivery of ('I don't wanna talk about the wars between nations, Not right now, Sexy Boots', and also the 'Let me in the sound' part. Brilliant!). I suspect it will come into its own when played live. If they re-work the 'You don't know...' part it could be a classic.

Stand Up Comedy 4/5 - by all accounts a very under-appreciated song. I don't know what's not to like here guys. Great vocal with the payoff of a rousing, call to arms (c'mon you people, stand up for your love), some great lyrical moments ('stop helping God across the street like a little old lady'), funky rhythm and guitars. The chainsaw style guitar at the end is my fav bit. I love it. It won't be a U2 classic and it won't be a live favourite but as a mid album track, it is a really good one.

Fez - Being Born ? - haven't worked this one out at all yet. Still working on it.

White As Snow 3.5/5 (with the potential for more). This one is growing on me but I don't love it yet. As a slow paced song its better than Peace on Earth. I'm not sure its as good as One Step Closer though and it's nowhere near as good as something like Love is Blindness, 40, So Cruel or the Wanderer.

Breathe 5/5 - great vocal, great guitars, great lyrics. I love it. Along with Magnificent, MOS and UC this is one of the masterpieces of the album. This will get even better when performed live.

Cedars Of Lebanon 4/5 - I'll confess that I don't like the 3rd person lyrics but I love this track for its mood, darkness and style. Very interesting work.

Great Songs:
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
White As Snow

Good:
Breathe
No Line
Cedars of Lebanon

Mmeh:
Fez:Being Born [like An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart from Boy but nowhere near as good]
Boots [sharp, no soul]
Go Crazy [sloppy and saccharine, some terrible lyrics]

Erm, of no interest at all:
Standup Comedy (l don't like the Black Crowes. This is bad Black Crowes)

Love the whole album. So I just shuffle this CD and i have never ever skipped one song.
All the songs are great. Every song as a different thing. None of the songs are the same.
Very very very deep songs ... but if I still need to choose .. than MOS.

Sitting at the couch ... lights out ...and music turned on loud ...

amazing :drool::drool::drool:

No line - 4/5
Magnificent - 4.5/5
MOS - 5/5 - Top 10 U2 track for me (with Streets, One, Please (live), WoWY, Beautiful Day, Pride, Running to Stand Still, Acrobat and Bad)
Unkown Caller - 3.5/5
Crazy Tonight- 4.5/5. It used to be a 3 at best but it has become a guilty pleasure.
Stand Up - 3/5. I think there is probably a 5/5 sitting on the cutting room floor
Fez - 4/5
White as Snow - 3.5/5. Could have been so much better.I would have liked a strong instrumental bridge or ending

Breathe - 4/5 - will be a five live.

Ceders - 5/5 Brilliant final track - one of there best final tracks.

Boots - 2/5. In the context of this album, it is a bit too granpa down the disco for me. Might have worked better as a bonus track (like Train in Vain on London Calling).

NLOTH - 4.5/5
Magnificent - 5/5
Moment of Surrender - 4.75/5
Unknown CAller - 4.65/5
Crazy Tonight - 4.25/5
Boots - 4.25/5
Stand Up - 4/5
White as Snow - 5/5
Breathe - 4.75/5
Ceders - 4.25/5

revised rankings

NLOTH: 4.25/5
Magnificent: 5/5
MOS: 4.75/5
UC: 4.5/5
Crazy Tonight: 4.5/5
Boots: 4.25/5
Stand Up: 3.75/5
Fez: 4/5
WAS: 4.5/5
Breathe: 5/5
Cedars: 4.5/5

Overall: 4.5/5...one of my all time fave u2 albums! just amazing!

i'm not here to rank any songs, but just to merely say that the title track has grown on me a ton. it's rapidly turning into one of my favorites.

Other thread maybe, but MOS is definately one of the worst songs on the album. The way Bono sings the chorus gives me the creeps and it has the worst line: 'even on our wedding day':doh:

I'm sorry guys, but i'm really not impressed with this album.

Magnificent
NLOTH
Breathe
IGCIIDGCT
COL
FEZ
Boots
Stand up
Unknown Caller
WAS
MOS

And what about the 'oh's' in every song??

Other thread maybe, but MOS is definately one of the worst songs on the album. The way Bono sings the chorus gives me the creeps and it has the worst line: 'even on our wedding day':doh:

I'm sorry guys, but i'm really not impressed with this album.

Magnificent
NLOTH
Breathe
IGCIIDGCT
COL
FEZ
Boots
Stand up
Unknown Caller
WAS
MOS

And what about the 'oh's' in every song??

Well. tks for sharing. :wave:

It's a remarkable album, so this is very difficult.

Today, this is the list. It will change tomorrow. And it will change again during the tour:

1) Unknown Caller (Started at the top, and has remained, although some others have gotten closer.)
2) Breathe (The live performances pushed this way up the list.)
3) Winter (Yes, I'm counting it. Only needs a little more polish. The transition from verse to pre-chorus is a bit awkward, and the spoken part could have a bit more definition, but other than that, it's absolutely beautiful.)
4) Magnificent (Another great live song, and classic U2.)
5) Moment of Surrender (I'm still not entirely sure why I love this so much.)
6) No Line on the Horizon (Best opener since Streets, but not at that level.)
7) I'll Go Crazy (Not too sure if the energy is there for a huge live hit.)
8) Fez - Being Born (Climbing quickly, and has the potential to be a magical live performance.)
9) Stand Up Comedy (Pretty much stayed where it started for me.)
10) Ceders of Lebanon (Definitely growing on me. Very subtle special moments.)
11) White as Snow (Some strong moments, but I still think this could have been a whole lot better.)
12) Get On Your Boots (It's just... there. Fits on the album, but nothing special.)

moment of surrender (rips my heart out every time. pure beauty.)
unknown caller (uplifting and quirky, very optimistic and flies out of the car window it's so big in it's sound! very colourful...)
breathe (This song grinds me down,makes me want to rock out!)
no line on the horizon (crescendo, crescendo, build up, tension and intense sonic fusion and fuzz...)
fez-being born (bizarre and hypnotic)
magnificent (reminds me of galloping into the sunlight. Fantastic introduction and a glimmering riff, a slick basline and smooth vocals. sharp drums and a very typical U2 sound)
stand up comedy (nice rock out song, love Bonos yelling of 'come on ye people!')
get on your boots (another one to bang my head to. can't stop tapping my foot to it!)
I'll go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight (trying to throw your arms of no line.)
cedars of lebanon (Very mellow and abrupt in its ending. fantastic ending.)
white as snow(good, but doesn't do what the others do.)

FEZ, then 2,3,1,4,10,9,5,11,6,7

And, btw I said in another thread that my favourite moment on NLOTH is " Two souls too smart to be in the realm of certainty, even on our wedding day"

1. NLOTH- still a superb opener, should have been the first single
2. Crazy Tonight- has really grown on me the last week. At first I hated it.
3. Breathe- was my favourite, but I overplayed it!
4. Magnificent- I really want to love this as much as everyone else seems to love it but I just don't seem to be able to!
5. MOS- loved it at first, again too many listens.
6. Get on Your Boots- nobody's favourite, but undeniably catchy and a grower. Should have been released as the third single ala Elevation.
7. Cedars of Lebannon- haunting. I love it when U2 finish the album on a dark track ala POP, AB
8. White as Snow-Another nice suprise on the album.
The rest I just can't get into at all
9. Fez
10. Unknown Caller
11. Stand Up Comedy

in order of personal listening enjoyment, rather than any pretense at 'objectively' rating the songs:

No Line on the Horizon
Breathe
Cedars of Lebanon
Magnificent
Fez - Being Born
White as Snow
Get on Your Boots
Moment of Surrender
Stand Up Comedy
Unknown Caller
I'll Go Crazy...

I'd still say there are really no tracks on this album I actively dislike, although Crazy is bordering on it.

1. Breathe (Still moves me every time I hear it – phenomenal song! The power of this thing is something to behold)
2. No Line on the Horizon (One of the most powerful songs they’ve written that is a successful fusion of the Eno/Lanois vibe with a punk-ish sensibility)
3. Get on Your Boots (A lot more going on here than you’d think. A really complex song structure and kind of the heart of the album with a mixture of themes and thoughts from all sides of the fences)
4. Stand Up Comedy (Just a great bluesy number that has a kick ass guitar solo)
5. Unknown Caller (U2 does Bowie. Good atmospheric tune that reminds me how to use the functions buttons on my mac)
6. Fez - Being Born (U2 does Genesis. Like the Eno Intro, like the vibe of the song, but the keyboard breakdown in the middle reminds me a lot of something off Abacab)
7. I'll Go Crazy... (Fun pop tune. Could have been on HTDAAB, no doubt.)
8. Cedars of Lebanon (Great moody piece. Love the vocal. Wish Lanois wasn’t so prominent in the backing vox)
9. Magnificent (Sometimes I like this song, other times it annoys me. I get what they’re going for, but parts of it sound a little too forced to me. Reminds me of COBL, my least favorite on the last album)
10. Moment of Surrender (A good tune, but on par with WOWY or One? No. Those songs actually have an aascent, a lift that leads to something. This…just…kinda…chugs…along. I’m sure it was absolutely magic in the studio, having this song just appear out of nowhere. But here, it sounds kind of one note. Once again, Lanois’ backing vox…bug me)
11. White as Snow (Why? It’s a nice tune, but album-worthy? If you needed a winter-related song then…well…just re-work ‘Winter’ and put it on there.)

Perfection:
1.Breathe

Near-perfection:
2. Fez-Being Born
3. Magnificent
4. Cedars of Lebanon

Almost-near-perfection:
5. Moment of Surrender

Nice:
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Stand Up Comedy
8. White as Snow

Still unsure about:
9. NLOTH
10. Unknown Caller

Eh, all right:
11. IGCIIDGCT

it's so hard for me to rank the songs at this point, since i seem to have a new favorite every day. but these 3 songs have always been at the top of my list:

Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Fez - Being Born

also, NLOTH and GOYB are steadily increasing as my favorite songs on this album.

I honestly cant make a top 10 as it changes from day to day but I think as the tour evolves all of us including myself will have a concrete top 10.

After owning the album for a month...

1) Stand Up Comedy
2) Magnificent
3) Cedars Of Lebanon
4) Breathe

5) Unknown Caller
6) Get On Your Boots
7) IGCIIDGCT

8) Fez-Being Born
9) No Line On The Horizon
10) White As Snow

11) Moment Of Surrender

Unknown Caller = best thing U2 has done in more than a decade.
Magnificent = self explanatory
NLOTH = best opener since Zooropa
Moment of Surrender = U2 should make long songs more often.
FEZ-being born = daring and the first time U2 has done a two-parter on one track
Get On Your Boots = I learnt how necessary this song was in the context of the album. [see above track]
Ceders of Lebenon = best closer since 'Love Is Blindness.'
Breath = whatever her name is, this woman is an amazing celloist. Best walking groove from Adam and Larry since I Trip Through Your Wires.

IGCIIDGCT and SUC = two reasons why this should have been a nine-track album.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom