Ranking the songs after >10 days

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dont like
Unknown Caller ( I dont get why so many people seem to like this one)
Fez - Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon

Maybe cos its the best song they've done in 12 years. Great intro, great song and a superb solo at the end. Couldn't ask for more really unless you want the coke riff in there!

mos - the more you listen to it the more it gets inside of you, jesus christ if this isnt the epilogue to SHFWILF then WTF?

= great song

breathe= so punk rock its sick

No Line - the beef is in the verse not the chorus, unreal

Fez - scrares the shit outta me, must be good

maginif - the atomic bomb that they were unable to dismantle

Unkonwn caller - a song destined to be xplained in a live situation - i expect a speech before this song in concert a la one

cedars - amazing not in immediate hearing but because it sounds to me like it could have been part of the culture of zoo tv

1. MOS
2. Breathe
3. Magnificant
4. UC
5. NLOTH
6. WAS
7. Crazy
8. Boots
9. FEZ
10. SUC
11. Cedars

Note: No song is pants on this album. Love them all.

OK I will admit in my first ranking I was ready to drop FEZ but it's currently my #1!

1. FEZ
2. Magnificent
3. Breathe
4. Unknown Caller
5. Moment of Surrender
6. Crazy
7. NLOTH
8. White as Snow
9. Stand Up Comedy
10. Cedars
11. Boots

4-7 are really interchangeable.

Why not.

Day 1:

Timeless U2 masterpieces:
1. Magnificent
2. Breathe
3. No Line On The Horizon
4. FEZ/Being Born
Very good U2 songs:
5. Unknown Caller
6. White As Snow
7. Get On Your Boots
8. Cedars of Lebanon
Good U2 songs:
9. Moment of Surrender
10. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (I hate typing this)
Average U2 song: (but it still captivates me somehow)
11. Stand Up Comedy

Now:

Timeless U2 masterpieces:
1. Magnificent
2. Breathe
4. FEZ/Being Born
5. Moment of Surrender
Very good U2 songs:
6. Get On Your Boots
7. Unknown Caller
8. White As Snow
9. Cedars of Lebanon
Good U2 songs:
10. Stand Up Comedy
11. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (I hate typing this)

I'm a bit late here, but I just heard the album for the first time tonight...

But its all Bono's fault. . . Why oh why does he have to jam so many words into some songs these days. He's much better on some of the other new songs, where he says so much more, with far fewer words. And it fits the music better when he doesnt sound like hes trying to pack a novel into a song.

Yes! I think you have made a great point. You know, I was listening to "Crazy Tonight" (I refuse to type out that ridiculous title), and I was thinking, what a great song -- classic U2 melody, great guitar, lovely harmonies, catchy chorus, etc. -- but why oh why can't Bono just sing about something simple? I think this song could have been a classic if he'd written it about, say, a forest or a waterfall.

Often, by trying to say a lot, we say less. This is another reason I believe bands should never be allowed more than 5 or 6 weeks in the studio to make an album.

1. Moment of Surrender
2. FEZ-Being Born
3. Magnificent
4. Breathe
5. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
6. Unknown Caller
7. White As Snow
8. No Line On The Horizon
9. Get On Your Boots
10. Stand Up Comedy
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

Almost every song has improved for me in some way, except for Stand Up Comedy. FEZ-Being Born has made a huge improvement, glad it's getting at least some love here at Interference (not nearly enough, though), FEZ is weird in that bizarre, great way and actually now a few weeks later I have to say that I'd rather have more of those experimental "Eno-songs" that they apparently made but dropped (hopefully now returning for Songs of Ascent) than for example Stand Up Comedy and Get On Your Boots (well, Boots is a tad experimental in a way, but not in that way). Being Born also brings back alot of memories and while it's absolutely not suiting for today's music industry, it's a song for the fans, and the fans only. And it's absolutely brilliant.

Cedars of Lebanon is still at the bottom but it has grown as well. Still haven't found what I'm looking for when it comes to that song, though.

I'm surprised people like Crazy tonight as much as they do. I find it so cheesy. It's the worsst.

I like Cedars more than most people I'd say. I'm not ready to rank the songs.

but...

MOS = the best!

I'm surprised people like Crazy tonight as much as they do. I find it so cheesy. It's the worsst.

I like Cedars more than most people I'd say. I'm not ready to rank the songs.

but...

MOS = the best!

I didnt like Crazy Tonight that much at first but its grown on me since.Right Now I would rank them:

1.Magnificent
2.Unknown Caller
3.Breathe
4.No Line On The Horizon
5.Moment of Surrender
6.Crazy Tonight
7.Get On Your Boots
8.Stand Up Comedy
9.Fez Being Born
10.Cedars Of Lebanon
11.White As Snow

I dont think there are any bad songs on this album.

1) Magnificent
2) Breath
3) NLOTH
4) Cedars
5) FEZ/BB
6) Stand Up comedy
7) Unknown caller
8) MOS
9) WAS
10) Crazy
11) Boots

1. Magnificent
2. Breathe
3. Unknown Caller
4. Moment Of Surrender
5. Cedars Of Lebanon
Winter
6. Get On Your Boots
7. White As Snow
8. Fez (Being Born)
9. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
10. No Line On The Horizon

11. Stand Up Comedy

After a Week:
1) MOS
2) NLOTH
3) Magnificent
4) Crazy Tonight
5)WAS
6) Fez
7) Cedars
8) UC
9) Breathe
10) Boots
11) SUC(K)

trying not to overdose

After a week-

1. MOS
2. Unknown Caller
3. Magnificent
4. Crazy Tonight
5. Breathe
6. White as Snow
7. No Line
8. Fez/Being Born
9. Cedars
10. Boots
11. Stand up Comedy

Love :hyper:
NLOTH
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Fez Being Born
Cedars of Lebanon

Like :)
Unknown Caller (could have ranked higher but the "Force quit and move to trash/Restart and reboot yourself" lines make me wince)
Get On Your Boots (I know I gave this one a 4 when it was released but it's grown on me, though I'm still uncomfortable with the "audience shopping" singles)
White As Snow (I don't quite like the production of the song, the mandolins, etc. - a more stripped production could have made it rank in the "love" category)
Stand Up Comedy (good but it's a bit off the feel of the album)

Don't care much about :|
Crazy
Breathe
These (both Lillywhite productions) show remnants of of the over the top stuff we were subjected to by the previous two albums (on a much more tolerable dose however - at least I don't need to skip them). IMO Breathe would have worked better in slot nº5 just after Unknown Caller (like in Linear).

stand outs are

Moment oo
Ceders
Magnif

A very solid album....with a slight diff to their past 2. Will be interesting to see how they mix them / present them in their concerts....maybe some longer edge guitar parts...?

I can say that the one constant on this forum has always been the musical tastes of all of the fans here. You will have 10 people say they love a song like Miami but 10 other people will hate it. That goes for every song on every album (pride, With or with out you, ect...). I am still in SHOCK that I Still Haven't Found was voted out of the "survivor" round 3 or 4 of the favorite JT song thread in "Everything you know is wrong". With that said, I find it unreal that it is almost unanimous that Magnificent is one of, if not the, favorite song of almost everyone here. That is not supposed to happen...not here! Oh and for the record, its my favorite song too. How is this happening? Did they lace it with audio crack or something? How the heck is it possible that a guy like me, who's favorite U2 song is Still Haven't Found, likes Magnificent just as much as a guy who's favorite song is <insert song I don’t like>. Its really....well.....cool. :hyper:

After 10 listens or so:

1. Magnificent
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. White As Snow
4. Moment of Surrender
5. Unknown Caller
6. Fez Being Born
7. Cedars Of Lebanon
8. Breathe
--------------------------
9. Crazy Tonight
10. Get On Your Boots
11. Stand Up Comedy

I gotta say that after repeated spins the drop in quality for the three middle songs sticks out more and more.

My first impressions changed from my latest feelings for certain songs:

Love-
Magnificent
I'll Go Crazy
Stand Up Comedy

Like-
No Line
White As Snow
FEZ-Being Born

Dislike-
Unknown Caller (Absolute disappointment with this one. I love the intro but the 'choir' singing is bad.)

1. Breathe (Climbed rapidly after performed live at the Brits)
2. Stand Up Comedy
4. Moment Of Surrendor
5. Crazy (falling)
6. Fez-Being Born (rising)
7. Boots (rising; finally)
8. Magnificient (Still low, don't like disco)
9. White As Snow
10. Cedars
11. Unknown Call (hate the chanted chorus)

NLOTH A-
Magnificent A
Moment Of Surrender B (the ATM lyric kills me)
Unknown Caller A+ (one of Edge's best solos in a long time)
I'll Go Crazy C (HTDAAB material)
Sexy Boots B
Stand Up Comedy B-
Fez - Being Born A-
White As Snow B
Breathe B+
Cedars Of Lebanon A+

Overall, I enjoy the album quite a bit. B+

Today's ratings:
NLOTH B
Magnificent A
Moment of Surrender B-
Unknown Caller A
I'll Go Crazy B-
Boots B
Stand Up Comedy C+
Fez B+
White As Snow B
Breathe A
Cedars A

Album is still a B+

1.) Unknown Caller - was my initial No. 1 ...still is No. 1 killer solo by Edge

2.) Breathe - enough said

3.) Stand Up Comedy - killer riff !! for that reason alone it's up there

4.) Moment Of Surrender - truly the most soulful U2 has ever sounded

5.) No Line On The Horizon - this song has finally moved up after I initially liked version 2 better

6.) Magnificent - this song has slipped a little,much better live than on record and I wish they would have kept the cello intro that we heard on the beach clips that keyboard on the intro ruins the song a bit for me

7.) Crazy Tonight - classic U2 pop song...I really think this one if released will sell the album a little more in the U.S.

8.) Get On Your Boots - it's a shame that if Magnificent or another song was released as the single this song would not have faced half the criticism it did and more people would like it...it's only crime was that it sounded like a relative of Vertigo,so poor single choice.

9.) FEZ - Being Born - great daring track in the spirit of Passengers almost sounds like an instrumental and barely a song would be great on a movie soundtrack

10.) Cedars Of Lebanon - love the way this song ends...gives me the chills

11.) White As Snow - good song... rated it last on the album only because it borrows somewhat from the old church hymn(yes I know the music was credited "Trad.")

NLOTH may not be on the same block as "The Joshua Tree" or "Achtung Baby" both A+
but it is just around the corner in the same neighborhood so NLOTH is an A-

For the record ATYCLB and HTDAAB aren't in this neighborhood(they played it too safe).....they're in a much poorer one C-

Stand outs for me are:

Moment of surrender

Unknown Caller

Magnificent

Cedars of Lebanon

White as Snow

Breathe

There are 6 songs that are Classics or near-classics. What more do i want from an album?..... Nothing.

NLOTH is my 2nd most favourite album after Achtung Baby.

Its hard but i'll name a top 3:

1. Unknown Caller
2. Fez - Being Born
3. Cedars Of Lebanon

:up:

After more than 4 weeks the album still moves me.

1. Magnificent. Live better than album version
2. Unknown caller. choir sounds excellent with super ending of the song.
3. White as snow. This song grows and grows on me.
4. Breathe.
5. Fez-Being Born
6. No line on the horizon (like NLOTH2 more)
7. Moment of surrender
8. Stand up comedy
9. Crazy
10. Cedars of Lebanon (fine tune but too short. it would 've been better with more instrumental interludes)
11. Get on your boots (still a grower)

If winter was a track on the album I would place it at no 4.:applaud:

After three weeks, the album still sounds brilliant to me and some songs which I didn't initially care for too much are now moving up in the rankings. Boots has actually grown on me (was probably my least favorite to begin with...didn't have anyting to do with the music really, was more the lyrics). But when listening to this album in its entirety, Boots really kicks butt and fits perfectly IMO! Can't wait to hear this one live/in person.

On to the rankings:

Magnificent
Unknown Caller (all the shout-outs should be great live - with full fan participation)
MOS
No Line on the Horizon
Boots
Fez:Being Born (Being Born shoudl be GREAT live)
Breathe
White as Snow
Stand up Comedy
Cedars of Lebanon (I don't dislike it. On the contrary I think it was a great decision to put it as the last song. I hope they play a snippet of this and White as Snow in the live show)
Crazy (again, don't dislike it other than Bono hitting the high notes at the beginning, but from "It's not a hill, it's a mountain" it's ok)

Top 3 albums

NLOTH
AB
JT

If anything this album is getting better with age.

NLOTH is one of U2's best openers, is lyrically mad, and is sexually textured. I love it.

Magnificent is so uplifting, even if the lyrics are a bit Bono-by-numbers.

MOS is good, but not as good as many say.

UC is incredible, mainly because I don't have a problem with the technology references. Solo rocks the casbah.

Crazy Tonight is maybe the best straight pop song U2 has recorded, and fits perfectly after MOS-UC. Wonderful.

Boots is good. I've still never tired of it despite hearing it so many times. Just a bit of a mess.

As much as I should hate SUC, I don't - it's like a guilty pleasure, and it will probably be a bit of fun live. I like this, whereas I can't stand ABOY. Go figure.

FEZ-Being Born is really, really fucking good. I've wanted something like this from U2 for years.

WAS is heartbreakingly beautiful. Perfect.

Breathe is pretty rad too. What a chorus. Just something about the production leaves something to be desired.

And COL is one of the best closers since... well, LIB. It's on par with WUDM.

As an album, it is cohesive, and never feels like a drag when you're listening to it.

I couldn't ask for much more from U2 here. A giant step up from Bomb, and songs like WAS and COL, and Winter, and FEZ-Being Born if you want, give enormous promise for Songs of Ascent.

:heart:

1. Magnificent 10.0
2. White As Snow 10.0
3. Cedars Of Lebanon 10.0
4. No Line On The Horizon 8.0
5. Breathe 7.5
6. Get On Yor Boots 6.5
7. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight 6.5
8. Moment Of Surrender 5.0
9. Unknown Caller 5.0
10. Stand Up Comedy 4.0
11. FEZ-Being Born 2.5