Ranking SOE (about 1/3 of it)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
A bit early but here we go...

1. The Blackout (8,5)
2. The Little Things That Give You Away - live version (8)
3. American Soul (7,5)
4. Get Out Of Your Own Way (7)
5. You're The Best Thing About Me (5,5)

The Little Things That Give You Away
You're The Best Thing About Me
Get Out Of Your Own Way
The Blackout
American Soul

The Little Things That Give You Away (8,5)
Get Out Of Your Own Way (5,5)
The Blackout (5)
American Soul (4,5) - "Glastonbury" was better.
Your the Best Thing About Me (3)

Blackout
Little Things
Get Out
Best Thing

Haven’t heard American Soul yet.

American Soul 9
The Blackout 8
The Little Things 7
Best Thing Acoustic 7
Best Thing Single 6.5
Get Out Of Your Own Way 5

1 - You're The Best Thing About Me
No, really. I think it's a good song, and I like the edge's middle 8. It is nothing remarkable by all means, but I think it's the best of this bunch so far.

2 - The Blackout
Studio version is so much better. I kind of like it, but a couple of things let me down, the bridge is too drab and twice as long as it should be, while the rhyming names are obviously stupid. Otherwise, it's a good listen.

3 - The Little Things That Give You Away (Live)
This one isn't a representative ranking as we've not heard the studio version yet, but otherwise, an ok to average song with no hook. Doesn't offend me, nor does it interest me much.

4 - Get Out Of Your Own Way
The song itself is ok but it is just underwhelming and unremarkable. I find it extremely middle of the road. It is catchy, I'll give it that, but I can't see myself getting into this one much. The preaching at the end is absolute crap, I hate it, and it ruins it.

5 - American Soul
This is just crap. Sorry. The chorus isn't even its own. You can't just take a section of a song from your last album and make it a chorus to a song on your next. That is stupid, ridiculous, lazy, and it's annoying the hell out of me. The rest of the song isn't any good either. But this is half a song, and half Volcano, which I find absolutely ridiculous. I hate this song. It is shite!

1. The Blackout - 6.5/10
2. GOO Your Own Way - 3.5/10
3. American Soul - 3/10
4. Little Things - 3/10
5. The Blurst Thing - 1/10

At this point:

1. The Little Things 8
2. The Blackout 7
3. Get Out Of Your Own Way 7
4. The Best Thing 6.5
5. American Soul 4.5

1. Little Things 7.5
2. Blackout 6.5
3. Gooey 6
4. Best Thing 5
5. American Soul 2 (could have made it to 3 but then along came a refu-jesus)

1. Get Out of Your Own Way
2. The Blackout
3. The Little Things That Give You Away
4. You're The Best Thing About Me
5. American Soul

Little Things 7.5/10
Get Out 6.5
Best Thing 5.5
Blackout 4.5
American Soul 2.5

1. The Blackout - 9/10
2. Get Out Of Your Own Way - 8/10
3. American Soul - 7.5/10
4. You're The Best Thing About Me - 7/10

Not gonna rate Little Things since I want to hear it on the same terms (i.e. studio version) as the other songs. But it's shaping up to be a really favorable one in my eyes (ears?), probably in between The Blackout and GOOYOW. If it's a really good version it might even be the best of the bunch, I think it has incredible potential with the right production and vocal delivery.

Last edited:
Little Things
The Blackout

Get Out of Your Own Way
Best Thing Sci Fi mix

American Soul

Best Thing single mix

Little Things and Blackout are both fine.

Blackout 6.5/10
Little Things 6/10
American Soul 5.5/10
Get Out 5/10
Best Thing 4.5/10

Every shade of the mediocrity rainbow has been represented.

It's way too early to give a proper order, but here's my 2 cents:

1. The Blackout - 7.4
2. The Best Thing - 7.2
3. The Little Things That Give You Away - 6.8
4. GOOYOW - 6.5
5. American Soul - 6.4

Can their song titles get anymore clunkier? Seriously, WTF?

Most are long, usually have the word "light", "love" or "away" in them, and just throw in a parenthesis or two for the lolz

This is tough. This is how they fall right now. Not sure after they sit for bit

1. The Blackout - 8
2. The Little Things That Give You Away - 7 now - 8 or higher hopefully for studio version
3. GOOYOW - 7
4. The Best Thing - 6.5
5. American Soul - 6.0

It's hard for me to rank TBT among the others as it's been out ages and the opinion has had more time to form. But when I first heard TBT, I definitely thought "this is a good song", moreso than I have with these other 4. So for that reason, it's only fair to rank it at the top. However, as my opinion settles on it, the enthusiasm for me to listen to it has died down, and now I'm kinda bored with it already, making me wanna rank it 3rd or 4th on my list of 5.

The Blackout and GOOYOW are both songs I like, and either one of them could take the top spot out of this list of 5, but for now they're ranked #2 and #3 respecively. Little Things was #3, but I reckon it's now 4th, but I simply can't rank little things yet.

American Soul is dead last, and I doubt it will ever rise. The remaining songs we haven't heard would have to be totally terrible to rank lower than American Soul for me. I'm never gonna get over the fact that they took a section of an existing released album track for the chorus of another, stupidest decision U2 have ever made. And for the record, I like Volcano, so that's not the point I'm making.

Here's the thing, I don't like to rate songs or albums right away because I do get caught up in "U2phoria" and thats just the fan in me. I really want every song to be great but I like to think that I am very balanced and not an "every things is great" or "everything sucks" fan. I don't care if a song is Pop, rock, experimental or instrumental if its good…its good.

With that said, I really like what I am hearing so far…a lot. Some of these rating will change, for better or worse but likely not by much.

Get out of your Own Way: 8.5/10 - The Chorus is one of the best in a long time and its has a great start, cool lyrics, great vocal delivery and its fun and a song that I would blast with my windows down. It has that AC type feel and is a little subdued but again…a good tune is a good tune. I can see this moving to an 9/10 more so than 8/10. Its going to rock live!

You're The best Thing About Me: 8/10 - Nick mentioned in a post that a song shouldn't need to have great speakers or a special set up to make it sound good but the thing is, it sounds GREAT on headphones. There are so many cool sounds going on that it stays fresh and the drums and bass are on point. It is a cheese deluxe pop song…but its fun and I like it. I can see this going to a 7/10 eventually more so than going higher but we will see how it holds up.

The Blackout: 8/10 - Cool song, very Achtung sounding in parts and it has a really great chorus. Bono sounds great on this song, no voice cracks or strains. The rhyming names don't bother me but maybe they will eventually. My gripe about this song is I wish they made Larry's drumming a little more pronounced in some parts like the live version and Edges Guitar (or whoever might be playing that part) louder in the chorus. While I like the chorus, I want it to "pop" more. I can see this song going to a 7/10 or 9/10 potentially based on how its performed live.

Little Things Jimmy Kimmel : 7/10 - The confined area they played in allowed for some of the production elements to shine. It has great lyrics and a cool build and if done right on the album could be a 8/10 or more and if done poorly could be a 6/10 or less.

Little Things JT30 Live: 6/10 - I like the build in this version and the lyrics are great but it just sounded flat for the most part live on tour. It has potential to be amazing on the album if mixed properly, which based on the other songs released I can see it being done well.

You're the Best Thing (Kygo): 5/10 - A lot of what I like about the Album cut is missing in this song and its beat while catchy at first becomes repetitive and the voice chopping is annoying after a while

You're the Bet Thing (Acoustic): 3/10- Everything I like about the album cut is missing and replacing it is creepy Bono voice. I do like the echo effect however.

I havent listed to American Soul and honestly I am scared to after reading some of the reviews that trash the hell out of it (although there are a few that seem to love it).

SOI is a an album that I really liked. It had a group of solid songs but a lot of them seem to be missing a little something that prevented them from being really good. That album has a lot of 6 and 7's in my rating but only 2 songs that made it over 8(my bar for really good). So far, SOE seems to have taken the songs up a notch and given them that extra push that for me puts them a level up. We are only 3 songs in and there could be some disappointments but the fact that they are 3/3 is very excited for me. The bigger question I have is will there be a "U2 Classic" on this album or hopefully a couple and that remains to be seen (although GOOYOW is a really good tune that may continue to grow on me).

Blackout (I mean come on, this song is awesome and I will fight you)
The Best Thing (I don't understand all the hate)
GOOYOW (only listened to it once; Coldplay called, they want their song back)
Little Things (I've only heard the live versions; not that impressed)
American Soul (haven't listened to it yet, don't know why I'm even in this thread)

Little Things 5.5/10
GOOYOW 4.5/10
TBT 3/10
Blackout 3/10
Haven't listened to AS yet.

Last edited:
Little Things 5.5/10
GOOYOW 4.5/10
TBT 3/10
Blackout 3/10
Haven't listened to AS yet.
What is it you dislike about Blackout? I quite like it musically but am still struggling with the lyrics.

And, if you don't mind, what are your fave U2 numbers?

Back
Top Bottom