Ranking 'No Line On The Horizon' as an album title

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mine is probably some of the poor mixing. Or mastering. The washiness of some of the cymbals.

I think you might benefit from going out an getting the remastered gold CD version and a great pair of headphones.

It doesn't completely cure all of the problems that you mentioned, but it takes a lot of that muddiness away. Its like cleaning up an old painting and seeing the dull colors get brighter. Its not going to change the composition or subject matter of the work, but it'll allow you to appreciate it in a form that is much closer to what the artist intended.

I think poor mixing and mastering has been one of the things that has haunted U2's work for years. I don't understand why because as they have gotten bigger they have the ability and resources out there of more advanced equipment and premier sound crews. I don't get how they just can't put out one clean and crisp sounding album that doesn't sound like complete shit when you turn the volume past level 3.

It truly depends on the music itself. I mean, Achtung Baby, what kind of title is that?! But because the album is sooo good - the title becomes totally magnificent. They could have called it Best of U2, Humpty-Dumpty or I love you and I would still love the title to death - because of the music.

I like NLOTH. It's elusive and mysterious yet gives the album an edgy tone in a more mature way. Achtung Baby! wrapped the albums deeper cautionary tale of the dangers of falling in love with a fun, almost lighthearted sounding title. NLOTH is a separate beast I think, but we will have to hear the album.

I like these lots:

War
Zooropa
The Joshua Tree
No Line on The Horizon
Under A Blood Red Sky

I like these:

Boy
October
The Unforgettable Fire
All That You Can't Leave Behind

I don't like these:

Pop
Rattle & Hum
Achtung Baby

I despise this:

How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

I would have love a more tongue in cheek name like Achtung baby. No line on the horizon sounds too pretentious to me, but if the songs are great i dont really give a F%$%.

I like this title a lot, I think it's beautiful. I don't think that it's as cool or exciting sounding as Achtung Baby or Rattle and Hum or as provocative as Pop and War. It's in the same vein as The Unforgettable Fire, more dreamy and surreal. I usually don't like when an album is titled after a song, I think the album gets more weight to it when it is given a name of its own but I don't mind this time, I guess because it sounds beautiful.

I actually think it's one of the best. I think "All That You Can't Leave Behind," "The Unforgettable Fire," "The Joshua Tree," and "Under a Blood Red Sky" rank out the top five imo. The rest aren't really that good. I like the meaning behind HTDAAB, but I don't think it's amazing.

Some album titles just seem to suit their collection of songs perfectly (namely Boy, Rattle & Hum, War, All That You Can't Leave Behind), while some not so much (PoP, How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, The Unforgettable Fire.

Achtung Baby is pretty wacky (Attention Baby!), bizarre, but it compliments the whole European thing, and I suppose it might be considered to work well with the ZooTv concept.

Zooropa is a cool album title, but I don't understand how it works with any of the other songs on the album aside from the splendid title track.

I actually would have preferred U2 to have stuck with calling PoP, POP POUR HOMME, just would've completed a trio of titles that have relevance to continental Europe and the disintegration of borders between the continent and GBR/Ireland.

We can only wait and see with No Line On The Horizon.

No line on the horizon sounds too pretentious to me

Actually I thought that ATYCLB and HTDAAB sounded pretentious. I like NLOTH and think it sounds complete. The last two albums had titles that seemed like they were cutout from a sentence or something.

Example: Your soul is all that you can't leave behind when you die.

I never liked it...but thats just me.

1. The Unforgettable Fire
2. Rattle & Hum
3. War
4. The Joshua Tree
5. No Line On The Horizon
6. Achtung Baby
7. Boy
8. Zooropa
9. October
10. All That You Can't Leave Behind
11. Pop

12. HTDAAB

Once I hear the album, I'll let you know.

as a name itself - i really like it and think that if the music fits it, it could very well be their best title. Though the Joshua Tree is awesome and tough to top.

1.Joshua Tree
2.The Unforgettable Fire
3.October
4.No Line on the Horizon
5.Achtung Baby
6.Rattle and Hum
7.War
8.Boy
9.Zooropa
10.POP
11.HTDAAB
12.ATYCLB

As long as it's a good album, I wouldn't have cared if they named it "Banana Hammock" or "The Spaghetti Incident Revisited." The name is quite secondary.

Back
Top Bottom