Rank SOI acoustic songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owl

War Child
Worth ranking? This shouldn't necessarily reflect your SOI favourites if possible. Could be interesting.

1 - California (I'm sorry but this tune can do no wrong for me :love:)
2 - Wolves
3 - EBW
4 - SFS
5 - Cedarwood Rd
6 - The Miracle

1. EBW
2. SFS
very good

okay
3. California

meh
4., 5. Wolves Cedarwood Road

why?
6. Miracle

Worth ranking? This shouldn't necessarily reflect your SOI favourites if possible. Could be interesting.

1 - California (I'm sorry but this tune can do no wrong for me :love:)
2 - Wolves
3 - EBW
4 - SFS
5 - Cedarwood Rd
6 - The Miracle

Same ranking for me. I actually prefer this version of California to the album's.

Overall, I really like the acoustic set. Nice enhancement of album .

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I like all the songs....apart from The Miracle. i find it bland and uninspiring. Im not really a fan of just edge and bono versions of tunes

1: EBW: fantastic version on the piano, I was expecting more people to rave about it, as the substance of the song and Bono's voice really shine through on this version

2: California (as good or better than the album version

3: SFS (similar to the album version)

4: The Miracle: I really like this version, clapping and all. It does have a busker feel to it, like a couple of people playing this down in the subway/underground station or the middle of a city square

5: Cedarwood Road: Bono's voice is a bit too strained on this one

6: Raised by Wolves: Same as with Cedarwood Road for Bono's voice, and in addition the power of the song just doesn't come through well here.

I do wish they'd made the acoustic tracks separate though. Seems a little silly.

I've only listened once so this is subject to major change, but I think

1. Raised by Wolves (possibly better than the original, if it had an electric guitar it would be - chorus is so much better here)
2. Every Breaking Wave (epic, beautiful, whatever you want to call it; rivals the original which is pretty great to begin with)
3. California (I really love this, I like the album version better but this is great; the horns on this are amazing)
4. Cedarwood Road (pretty good version of a pretty good song; not sure really, might have to listen to this again)
5. Song for Someone (very similar to the original which is my least favorite on the original album, might actually be better though)
6. The Miracle (did pretty much nothing for me; this song needs to be heavy and electric)

1 RBW- not a fan of the album version, but this version is great
2 Every Breaking Wave
3 The Miracle
4 California
5 SFS- adds nothing to the song
6 Cedarwood Road -pointless

i really like that they put this out. glad that they're different performances and arrangements and stuff (same could be said for the alt perspective SLABT). the whole thing is a fun little gimmick, and it does accomplish the goal showcasing their songwriting, of which i get the sense they're quite (justifiably) proud.

these guys are smart and accomplished.

no ranking, but here are some thoughts.

cedar wood road - it isn't better than the original to me (but then i always love their rockers and when they do a big jamming and rocking out outtro (like gone, one tree hill, end of the world, etc..) in a song, and CR does that). Still, wow. i fucking love this take. starts great as acoustic and voice, and then it fucking turns into "Eleanor Rigby". totally awesome.

california - well i just think this song is fucking fabulous. after hearing the original - prob my favorite on the album. awesome songwriting. the acoustic version features a really competent bonovox, great edge rhythm playing, and a pretty hot performance from LMJ. they seemed tu use the horns in the chorus like that big washed out synth on the album version. cool arrangement

RBW - another cool one that isn't quite as cool as the album version, but still pretty cool to hear. what i think is really interesting is that like the whole first section of the song is edge playing a single guitar note, and bono just sings around it and all the chord changes are implied. it's really smart stuff. they're good at this song writing/arranging thing.

EBW - really like this tune on the album, and also glad to have this arrangement. bono keeps singing pretty good throughout this thing. sure, he misses some notes, but overall he's pretty on. pleasing (if expected) arrangement, and they nail it.

SFS - same reaction as EBW.

The Miracle - okay, this song is growing on me in a weird way. i guess it works pretty good as an acoustic duet. a good way to, again, showcase their songWRITING, and this does that. I don't think it's the best songwriting they have on the album, but it's pretty progressive and catchy, and this definitely presents that. Also, edge is a really solid guitar player and bono is a good singer.

this whole thing and the stuff with the promo tours gets me thinking that maybe they'll feature a more prominent or grander version of the acoustic portion of the show on the tour. more like they did on zooTV - like 4 songs with the band, rather than 2 of bono and edge walking around doing a duet. i don't know. maybe. that would probably be cool.

the thing about u2 is that my very favorite moments listening to them are the ones where it really hits like 4 dudes in a room just blasting away. i love the production on SOI - it works great. but i just still get a visceral thrill when it sounds like 4 dudes in a room. these acoustic sessions don't do exactly that for me, on the whole (lots of additional flourishes), but it still does some killer things - primarily it demonstrates to me some of their technical skill and performance gifts - they're great at songwriting and then delivering convincing, passionate performances in different arrangements. it's like better than "baby" achtung baby. it's just what you want as a fan - only in the past you had to find it in bootleg shops or wait for the 20th anniversary cash grab.

grab my cash now. you can grab it again in 20 years.

With the possible exception of California, the entire acoustic series, I hate to say, is pretty bad. Most of them sound crappy. Minus drums and bass especially, the guitar work is basic and not really noteworthy, and on many of them Bono's vocals sound terrible -- strained, out of tune in many places.

Thank God they put all the acoustic tracks as one megatrack because I am skipping it entirely now.

And while I'm at it, the Deluxe Disc #2 is only saved by The Crystal Ballroom, which is a truly fantastic track. The rest of it, I can do without. I have no idea what Lucifer's Hands is doing on there (especially as a first track!), nor any of the acoustic tracks really, nor any of the remixes/alternate mixes.

Maybe I need to go back and listen to it a few more times but that's my initial take so far. Huge thumbs up to The Crystal Ballroom but an unfortunate big thumbs-down to the rest of it.

They should've put Crystal Ballroom on the "regular" album and it should've been somewhere between tracks 7 & 10, and then been done with it.

With the possible exception of California, the entire acoustic series, I hate to say, is pretty bad. Most of them sound crappy. Minus drums and bass especially, the guitar work is basic and not really noteworthy, and on many of them Bono's vocals sound terrible -- strained, out of tune in many places.

Thank God they put all the acoustic tracks as one megatrack because I am skipping it entirely now.

And while I'm at it, the Deluxe Disc #2 is only saved by The Crystal Ballroom, which is a truly fantastic track. The rest of it, I can do without. I have no idea what Lucifer's Hands is doing on there (especially as a first track!), nor any of the acoustic tracks really, nor any of the remixes/alternate mixes.

Maybe I need to go back and listen to it a few more times but that's my initial take so far. Huge thumbs up to The Crystal Ballroom but an unfortunate big thumbs-down to the rest of it.

They should've put Crystal Ballroom on the "regular" album and it should've been somewhere between tracks 7 & 10, and then been done with it.

My Take:

Crystal Ballroom is fantastic
Sleep Like a Baby Alternate is very good(although if you don't like the album version you probably wouldn't like this)
The Troubles Alternate isn't that good at all and is made worse compared to the far superior album cut
Lucifers Hands isn't good either. The first 35 seconds are really good, then it falls flat

I haven't listened to the acoustics yet but the consensus seems to be EBW and California are very good, Wolves and Ceaderwood are good(in that order) and SFS is basically the same as the album cut just more subdued.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I associate myself with this comment.

So we know what we like but what does the world like?

Since you can purchase the acoustic songs via iTunes, they are in fact charting on the worldwide iTunes chart and doing so in this order:

Every Breaking Wave
Song for Someone
California
Raised by Wolves
Ceaderwood Road

On a side note, how pissed are brink and mortar stores? The album exclusive goes to iTunes but they are promised a 2nd CD and told iTunes won't get to sell that CD until November. Turns out you can still get half of the tracks off the 2nd CD from iTunes anyway!

The world according to iTunes has spoken.

So we know what we like but what does the world like?

Since you can purchase the acoustic songs via iTunes, they are in fact charting on the worldwide iTunes chart and doing so in this order:

Every Breaking Wave
Song for Someone
California
Raised by Wolves
Ceaderwood Road

On a side note, how pissed are brink and mortar stores? The album exclusive goes to iTunes but they are promised a 2nd CD and told iTunes won't get to sell that CD until November. Turns out you can still get half of the tracks off the 2nd CD from iTunes anyway!

The world according to iTunes has spoken.

Interesting that their single, The Miracle, is not on that list. Pretty soon it's time to move on. i personally don't see the fan-favorite EBW being too popular in the USA. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

Interesting that their single, The Miracle, is not on that list. Pretty soon it's time to move on. i personally don't see the fan-favorite EBW being too popular in the USA. I could be wrong, but we'll see.

In fairness, those are acoustic tracks that just went on sale (you could buy the acoustic songs only). As for the Miracle, everyone on iTunes already got it free, so no one will buy it.

I think the next best 4 single options would be:

Every Breaking Wave
Song for Someone
The Crystal Ballroom
California

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Back
Top Bottom