Raised By Wolves - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it is one of the weaker tracks for me unfortunately. I think the main chorus seems forced. Wedged into what could have been a much better song. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now and Raised By Wolves are the only two tracks that just do not hit me at all on this album. :shrug:

I think it is one of the weaker tracks for me unfortunately. I think the main chorus seems forced. Wedged into what could have been a much better song. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now and Raised By Wolves are the only two tracks that just do not hit me at all on this album. :shrug:

I guess it depends on one's musical tastes, which is what is so great about U2 fans, we all differ a bit in that regard. Those two songs are the most heavy rock U2 has sounded in ages, if ever. I like that sound for them once in a while, but I like their other sounds as well. It's somewhat satisfying to hear some clean, heavy riffs and some piercing rock vocal choruses from musicians that are so talented.

I guess it depends on one's musical tastes, which is what is so great about U2 fans, we all differ a bit in that regard. Those two songs are the most heavy rock U2 has sounded in ages, if ever. I like that sound for them once in a while, but I like their other sounds as well. It's somewhat satisfying to hear some clean, heavy riffs and some piercing rock vocal choruses from musicians that are so talented.

It does, because I think the heavy rock on the album is Volcano and Cedarwood Road for me and somewhat with Miracle. I do not see This Is Where you Can Reach Me Now as heavy rock. :shrug: Differing opinions, music is such a subjective thing.

I get that from 'Sleep like a Baby'--its very 'Chaffeur-esque, or 'Sing Blue Silver' or 'Lonely in You Nightmare'

But that's a good thing for me too, and just goes to show the boys reaching to the past for influences. One of my favorite stories about Bono comes from Simon Le Bon. During the recording of 'Do They know its Christmas" apparently Bono was feeling like quite the outsider--and Bono always said how nice and welcoming Simon made him feel.

I love it when my fandom's collide. and yes, I agree with the Chauffeur-esque quality.
Simon just made a nice comment on twitter about U2:
"Well my favourite track on @U2's Songs of Innocence is "Song For Someone". It's the kind of thing I wish DD'd written." :hug:

And "This is where you can reach me now" also has a Duran/Killer's vibe to it big time.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The chorus of Raised by Wolves is the best moment on the ALBUM.

I would like the chorus more if there were a more distorted vocal, like Zoo Station. Bono's cartoonish "RAAAISED by wolves" is a little jarring.

I also don't like the repetition of the title. I like "Raised by wolves, stronger than fear." But then he just repeats it, which comes off a little awkward IMO: "RAAAIISED by wolves...We were raised by wolves." I wish he'd had another line there to parallel "stronger than fear."

I would like the chorus more if there were a more distorted vocal, like Zoo Station. Bono's cartoonish "RAAAISED by wolves" is a little jarring.

I also don't like the repetition of the title. I like "Raised by wolves, stronger than fear." But then he just repeats it, which comes off a little awkward IMO: "RAAAIISED by wolves...We were raised by wolves." I wish he'd had another line there to parallel "stronger than fear."

Eh. I just love it all the way through. U2 doesn't often write songs as good as this. And we almost never hear anger in their work anymore.

After the struggles Bono had with his voice, he's showing off a little bit. He couldn't have sung that chorus 10 or 15 years ago.

I loved RBW first time I heard it -- still do and always will. Easily one of the best tracks on the album.

:up:

The section just after the first 'I don't believe anymore' line where Edge's stereo panned guitar cuts through & Adam's bass is just left to keep the groove is one of my favourite little moments of the entire album.

Eh. I just love it all the way through. U2 doesn't often write songs as good as this. And we almost never hear anger in their work anymore.

After the struggles Bono had with his voice, he's showing off a little bit. He couldn't have sung that chorus 10 or 15 years ago.

:applaud:

Ok, this song is definately growing on me. The main chorus does not make me cringe like it did when I first heard it. I think it is a pretty good song, should be great live if they attempt it. I pretty much like the entire album at this point. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now is my least favorite, but I am starting to like it more as well.

what do you guys think of this Boston rock band that implied that U2 ripped off the chorus of Raised By Wolves from their song?

Did U2 Rip Off a Boston Band? - Music - Boston.com

I honestly don't see it, but I was surprised the Boston.com published it as a news story.

The part where they sing "raised by wolves" is very, very similar... cause how would they have ever possibly heard this unknown, and frankly, awful band before?

Ok, this song is definately growing on me. The main chorus does not make me cringe like it did when I first heard it. I think it is a pretty good song, should be great live if they attempt it. I pretty much like the entire album at this point. This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now is my least favorite, but I am starting to like it more as well.

The chorus is the only thing that keeps me from loving this song. I feel like its muted, not by Bono but Edge. I feel like thats a good time for his guitar to explode but it just doesn't.

Lyrically, it might be the best song on the album, very emotional and its a story that you can follow. Bono's voice sounds great but it doesn't have that..."boom" moment. At the moment, I'm giving it a 5.5 on the Cosmo U2 song scale.

Also, you should give This is Where You Can Reach Me more of a chance, that song is...."groovy" and really fun. The song should be called Adam is a Boss.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The chorus of Raised by Wolves is the best moment on the ALBUM.

I don't know if it's the best moment but it sure does get one's attention. My first thought was "Is this U2"?

The part where they sing "raised by wolves" is very, very similar... cause how would they have ever possibly heard this unknown, and frankly, awful band before?

Because they are God/Satan and Boston is where...well those Irish people live. Other than that...I wish U2 would rip off more often.

The chorus of RBW was easily the most exciting moment of the album for me on first listen. I'm not wild about Bono's vocals at this point of his career, but the way he screams the lyrics here is truly gripping (ditto the outro of Cedarwood Road).

Last edited:

It is good to hear him howl like that again...though personally my favourite part in the song is the chilling "I don't believe anymore".

This to me is the most under rated track on the album. Great song!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's the best song lyrically on the album. I would argue it's one of the best songs lyrically of their entire catalog. For me though, it's the chorus that doesn't take off the way it feels like it should take off and makes the song feel flat.

With that said, I honestly think i underrate this song myself!

I really like this tune; it has a fervency and passion that has been missing from their songs for years. I think that for most of the album as well.

Blood in the house blood on the street the worst things in the world are justified by belief

Did anybody else miss the weird wolf breathing sound while listening to the acoustic version for the first time? :shifty:

Sent from my GT-I9060 using U2 Interference mobile app

Did anybody else miss the weird wolf breathing sound while listening to the acoustic version for the first time? :shifty:

Sent from my GT-I9060 using U2 Interference mobile app

I used a program on my computer to insert the wolf breathing into every song on the album. If sounds pretty great on "Song For Someone".

Back
Top Bottom