Radio 1 Interview. Raises questions about next album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reptile347

The Fly
I listened to the Radio 1 interview and Bono said no new tour for at least 2 years, I don;'t know if that means same time frame for the album too but there were some interesting things said.

He said U218 was released as an end to the style of the previous 2 albums which I guess would mean windows was also included in that style. He said they were going in a totally new direction.

When ask by the interviewer if they were still going to be a rock band Bono said "We are going to be a band, But the Rock might have to go or it might get harder".
He went on to talk about how he wants to get into Acustic, simple music and how Rick Rubin is a good choice for that.

So now the big question is if the Rock goes what are they going to be going with? Folk? Add more Piano and sound like Coldplay? Or maybe invent something not heard before?
I don't know its a big mystery now but it sounds interesting anyway.

Yes, that was interesting. I don't necessarily see them doing an all acoustic album, but I could see either a full on Beatlesque pop album or harder rock sounding album.

they are not doing anything harder than bomb. bono is talking a load of bullshit regarding the hardness thing. they're gonna do a softer pop album with more acoustic guitars than they normally use. as per usual with rick rubin.

wanna bet? :wink:

U2Man said:
they are not doing anything harder than bomb. bono is talking a load of bullshit regarding the hardness thing. they're gonna do a softer pop album with more acoustic guitars than they normally use. as per usual with rick rubin.

wanna bet? :wink:

The only problem with that is, 2 tunes in with Rubin, and not a acoustic guitar in sight.

I Would like a acoustic album. Some of the stuff they have done such as the Acoustic Stuck alre almost better then the original.

Also brings up another question if the Beach Clips (aside from Windows) will ever get released. Sure Thank You For The Day could fit into that but I am not too sure about "All my Life".

@brau's post.

true, but those tunes aren't on the new album :wink:

maybe i should have said 'less distorted guitars than usual' :wink:'

can you see them do anything harder than bomb right now?

The band takes about two years to put out an album and in that time change directions a few dozen times. Just because Bono is saying the album will be one way now doesn't mean that's what the final product will be.

Truly, Bono's not the best source for anything about the band, anyway.

U2Man said:
@brau's post.

true, but those tunes aren't on the new album :wink:

maybe i should have said 'less distorted guitars than usual' :wink:'

can you see them do anything harder than bomb right now?

If it's harder, I can't see it as "rock" harder. Maybe an artsy, dark "harder."

But I agree---I see them doing a poppy, Beatle-ish album. However, WITS was along those lines, and you can imply from those quotes that WITS is part of the era they're moving away from. :shrug:

Perhaps they'll be WITS-like, but with simpler music.. (isn't that like ATYCLB?)
Perhaps they'll do something that we can't quite describe just yet.
Perhaps we should just be used to Bono's talk & not bother fussing over this. :wink:

No matter what, unless they go and record right now and refrain from spending months re-examining everything, we can pretty much be assured that their current ideas about the next album are not assured to be the concept of the album we end up with. We'll just have to wait and see! :sigh:

The_acrobat said:
I'd say this pretty much rules out a 2007 album release.

Not necessarily. He said at least 2 years until they tour. If they release an album in 2007 (one year), then tour in 2008 (second year), then it'd work. You can read his quote as at least two full years before they tour, or as that they may be touring in two years.

I'll cling to the optimistic interpretation, but not get too disappointed if it doesn't pan out.

i don't think the music will be simpler. i think we'll see more piano and other instruments than ever. they had a string orchestra on stage in milan and an extra keyboard player. i know this single instance cannot be taken as an indication of where they are going, but for some reason i do believe that they want more complex compositions and try to arrange their songs in ways they haven't done before. i would guess a more complex, even more poppy atyclb with arrangements that aren't as 'u2' as we are used to.

just a guess. :shrug:

this past year Bono has been looking and sounding a little darker in his mannerisms and Ive always looked at Bono as the leader in the bands direction. Hes certainly not as happy and gushy as he was in 2000 and not as cheesy as he was in 2004. He seems anxious these days. His voice sounds much brighter and clearer than it has too so maybe that means hes more into it because he knows he can fully contribute his trade.

I really can't picture U2 going too much in the hard rock direction; there's a point at which they would no longer sound like U2 if they went too far that way. It just wouldn't be right. What if they started sounding like Nickleback or something? :no: Horrors! I really don't think they would let themselves do that. Bono is into joy as opposed to depression.

But acoustic? Maybe they'll do an acoustic "Mercy"! :hmm:

Interesting quote about U218 being an end to the 2000's current sound. Very intriguing.

I must say though that I'm perfectly content with hearing absolutely nothing else from or about U2 in 2007. Just let them work their magic and get back to us some time in 2008. 2007 is Radiohead's year. :wink: Yeah baby.

well

MTV...probably the worst source for info, is apparently hyped about a U2 album next year, i was watching a 2006 overview on Christmas eve, and they were going through a few bands that are 'releasing albums in 2007' and it included U2

but like i said, MTV = unreliable

:shrug:

Lancemc said:
Interesting quote about U218 being an end to the 2000's current sound. Very intriguing.

I agree... I'll be psyched if this actually ends up happening. However, since the quote's from Bono, who knows. LOL.

See were Red Hot Chilli Peppers have gone with rubin??? they totally suck now... What they have now is really light pop songs like "Hey oh."

I hope U2 don't go in that same direction.

Jeffo17 said:
See were Red Hot Chilli Peppers have gone with rubin??? they totally suck now... What they have now is really light pop songs like "Hey oh."

I hope U2 don't go in that same direction.

Have you listened to the rest of the album?

Storm in a Teacup
Wet Sand
So Much I
Animal Bar
etc...

are not light pop.

Rubin also produced every album since Blood Sugar Sex Magik.

So with Bono talking about more acoustic things, are we looking at more songs like Running to Stand Still?

Imagine how exciting things must be at the beginning of work on a new album, a new phase of the band. They have no idea what direction to even go yet, they are just brainstorming ideas. Just because Bono says they are going to do more acoustic material doesn't necessarily mean they are going to make an album full of "Wild Honey" and "Man and a woman".

Trust me, if it keeps them interested, then it's not gonna be bullshit for you, alright?

phillyfan26 said:
Bono has no clue what's going on.
This guy knows how we do, yo.

Asking Bono now what a new album will end up sounding like is like asking me what colour shirt I'm going to wear on Christmas Day 2008. He can keep pushing home this idea of Beatlesesque pop, but in the end I think we'll end up with another adult contemporary flavoured album, slathered in the usual U2 echo-epicness.

this is what i think (and hope) he means...

stuck in a moment was thought by the bono and lanois (or was it eno) to be a surefire can't miss hit... and it wasn't.

staring at the sun had huge expectations... and it wasn't.

but both of these songs clearly took on new life when they stripped away the over-production and just played them simple, stripped down and acoustic. the true sound of 4 guys in a room.

there are other expamples... yahweh live vs. yahweh studio... city of blinding lights with the guitar live instead of the xylophone on the studio... how great was first time stripped down naked on vertigo?

that's what i think he meant... or at least hope he meant.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
this is what i think (and hope) he means...

stuck in a moment was thought by the bono and lanois (or was it eno) to be a surefire can't miss hit... and it wasn't.

staring at the sun had huge expectations... and it wasn't.

but both of these songs clearly took on new life when they stripped away the over-production and just played them simple, stripped down and acoustic. the true sound of 4 guys in a room.

there are other expamples... yahweh live vs. yahweh studio... city of blinding lights with the guitar live instead of the xylophone on the studio... how great was first time stripped down naked on vertigo?

that's what i think he meant... or at least hope he meant.

Yes, I really hope that's it. They overproduced Stuck and Elevation on that album, and when they finally changed them both on the Vertigo Tour they were much better. COBL, same deal.

Staring at the Sun, I actually liked the album version, I think they shouldn't have given up too early on an electric version, although I did enjoy the acoustic.

I smell a beatlesesque album which may be their first crap album. And then they'll try to get their fans back and in their desperate attempt they will make another crap album. After which they will be forced to hang up the gloves. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom