Query on Sound Quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brianvox

Acrobat
Do I need to replace my downloaded version with the CD version when it is released?

Advice welcomed!

yes.

the quality isn't as good as it should be. Anyone that says that there isn't much of a difference is either lying to themselves or can't hear the difference between a shitty MP3 rip and a CD quality sounding version.

I hear a relatively large amount of distortion scattered throughout the tracks even with the 320 kbps version. I really hope that the cd will take care of that.

i rip all new cd's for ipod to a lossless format. some albums i keep that way, some until i need more room.

nloth will stay that way on the ipod for a long time.

Ok, I have to ask. Where? Can you give me a track and time so I can listen for what you call "distortion"? Thanks.

Sure. As an example, I hear it at 5:06 - 5:09 during the guitar solo of MOS, and again at 5:22 and again right when the vocals come back in around 5:26. This is with headphones at a decent but definitely not excessive volume level. With my regular computer speakers it's even more noticeable.

I guess we'll have to wait until we have the actual CD on our hands to decide this and we have heard it. I can hear the distortion on some tracks, but I'm afraid it is not the type of defects caused by mp3 compressing, it could be the actual mastering in these days. Unfortunately, distortion on CDs is becoming more and more common these days, with the loudness war. Hopefully I am wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if the CD sounds just as bad as the leaked mp3s

I guess we'll have to wait until we have the actual CD on our hands to decide this and we have heard it. I can hear the distortion on some tracks, but I'm afraid it is not the type of defects caused by mp3 compressing, it could be the actual mastering in these days. Unfortunately, distortion on CDs is becoming more and more common these days, with the loudness war. Hopefully I am wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if the CD sounds just as bad as the leaked mp3s

Shit, I really hope not. It's almost unfathomable to me that the production team would hear this amount of distortion and let it slide.

Mark my words; the CD will have the same compression / clipping issues as the mp3s that we currently have. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom