Q Magazine - U2 in October 2008 - In the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not really concrete per se.. but the latest Rolling Stone had a blurb about retailers being prepped for some big releases mid-late fall for Christmas shopping- U2 included

The only thing I want to know that hasn't been mentioned: when was this interview taken? Is it specified in the article anywhere?

exactly, i think that will say a lot about whether we're looking at 2009 or not. i remember a rumor about mid June that said we wouldn't have a new album this year, but then July brought reports of the album being finished and an Oct/Nov release. so we'll see i guess. still nervous that we don't have any official news yet.

windylad72, you sure you're not making this up?

Are there any other Q Magazine subscribers in here? How can the October issue be out if it's still August? The September (Metallica) issue has only just hit the stores and there is no info yet on the Q website.

Having that said, I think a January release would be a very clever commercial move :)

Mr U2 Search

Oh ye of little faith!!

There isn't much new in the article..........it's half a page long with a picture of Edge playing an acoustic guitar and Adam playing the base. Q aways have a monthly slot about new albums around the corner and they love U2.

Keep the faith brother!

Thanks, now I do remember seeing that! But that was some news posted to U2Star by a fan, who didn't give a source. How can we know that the source actually talked to Corbijn? It might just be speculation from some newspaper, who thought that he would edit the band in later as they were not present for the shoot. I'm still not convinced that the guys will be in this video at all.

Thanks, now I do remember seeing that! But that was some news posted to U2Star by a fan, who didn't give a source. How can we know that the source actually talked to Corbijn? It might just be speculation from some newspaper, who thought that he would edit the band in later as they were not present for the shoot. I'm still not convinced that the guys will be in this video at all.

That's totally fair to be suspicious of the source - make of it what you will I guess.

I think that the idea they won't be in the video is extremely unlikely. It has to be identifiable as a new U2 song, the first of their new album. Since when have U2 not been in the video for their first single?

That's totally fair to be suspicious of the source - make of it what you will I guess.

I think that the idea they won't be in the video is extremely unlikely. It has to be identifiable as a new U2 song, the first of their new album. Since when have U2 not been in the video for their first single?

That's a good argument :up:

I guess, I just think it sounds strange that Corbijn would edit the band in, as it doesn't seem like something he would usually do. Anything is possible, though, and I was curious, that you might be talking about an interview I hadn't seen.

I don't see why they should be behind schedule, just because we haven't got the information we had four years ago. We know they started shooting the video, and that would be early for an album coming out after christmas. The Vertigo video was shot in September, I think.

Pfff inexcusable to me if they put it in for 2009, they already got it finished no need to wait so long and i think they won't if they are smart.

I guess, I just think it sounds strange that Corbijn would edit the band in, as it doesn't seem like something he would usually do.

He could include scenes of the band mixed in with the rest of the video shot on location, like he did for the Electrical Storm video?

Well, in the post-production, they've gotta make sure everything recorded is up to eleven, so it's a wall of sound like HTDAAB. :up:

That takes time. Spring it is. :up:

:|

If they did release it this year Barack Obhama will be playing it all over America for the US elections in November!! He's playing all the back catalogue already.

Maybe a springtime release after the US elections would be better.

He could include scenes of the band mixed in with the rest of the video shot on location, like he did for the Electrical Storm video?

Yes, that is possible, I guess. Even though I remember him saying he really didn't like to see bands perform in videos, he often did that anyway (One, Please, Electrical Storm).

Electrical Storm was on the same location, wasn't it? On the beach where they live and the train nearby. But Please looks like it's done in some studio. He's a great artist, who is likely to experiment, so we can expect anything. I think it's exciting that they have chosen him for the first video.

Come to think of it, a whole different scenario is if there are two singles or if they have given Corbijn a lot of time to work for the second single..

If they did release it this year Barack Obhama will be playing it all over America for the US elections in November!! He's playing all the back catalogue already.

Maybe a springtime release after the US elections would be better.

Election Day in the States is 4 November. Maybe President Obama will feature Breathe at the inauguration. :wink:

I thought it was on the Complete U2. I got it from Interference like anyone else, so I didn't know where it came from. I wasn't to impressed with it so I didn't really care where it came from.

I thought so, too. And I wasn't impressed with it, either. Good post.

I thought it was on the Complete U2. I got it from Interference like anyone else, so I didn't know where it came from. I wasn't to impressed with it so I didn't really care where it came from.

Nah, supposedly, Bono gave a fan a disc with Mercy on it and they leaked the song.

Personally, I think it's better than any of the beach clips so far, and has potential to be one of U2's all-time best songs. For them to toss it out because a few thousand people on the internet heard it would be a travesty.

Nah, supposedly, Bono gave a fan a disc with Mercy on it and they leaked the song.

Personally, I think it's better than any of the beach clips so far, and has potential to be one of U2's all-time best songs. For them to toss it out because a few thousand people on the internet heard it would be a travesty.

Ahhhh. Anyway, I like it better than any of the beach clips so far, but that's as far as my agreeing with your statement goes.

Ahhhh. Anyway, I like it better than any of the beach clips so far, but that's as far as my agreeing with your statement goes.

Ha, that's fine. I just think it would work well with what we've heard, and a ton of fans absolutely love it, so it would be like signing an all-star mid-season.

Relax, the album will be out this year. It simply HAS to!
Remember Lanois saying early in June that there were 3-4 weeks work left? Then there were those stories in the newspapers at the end of that month saying how U2 were celebrating finishing the album. Then all of a sudden Bono is in France for weeks and blaring out finished songs on his stereo. It's done, guys. And from a business standpoint, to delay the album from November (huge Thanksgiving, then Xmas sales) to the deadness of January or later when nobody has any money and no one is buying albums would be completely stupid. With the state that the record industry is in at the moment it needs U2's huge sales, and let's be honest, after the huge success of the last two albums, the only way this album could fail is if it's completely rubbish, and having heard the beach clips, one may assume that it's not.
Either way, i guess we'll know for sure within a few weeks.

Edge didn't mention Cedars Of Lebanon.

Oh well, its good to hear someone finally speak up after a while.

And for those that believe the release of UABRS will interfere with the new album and vice versa, well that wouldn't be the case. The remaster of UABRS will have sold all it's going to sell by the end of October, once all the die-hard fans have grabbed it. Look at the last 3 re-releases, they debuted on the chart outside the top 75 and disappeared.

Can't believe Moment Of Surrender is gonna be 8 minutes long, that is incredibly long :drool: And you know how I feel about amazing long songs, well maybe you don't. :hyper: :love:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom