Q Magazine - U2 in October 2008 - In the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so... U2 copies Coldplay's "42", but longer?

I hate comments like this. :mad: It shows people know nothing about music.

Coldplay seem to be fooling lots of people. 42 is not original. The opening of the song is basically a rip off of John Lennon's imagine. The middle part of the song sounds like Bends era Radiohead, and the end sounds like many songs from The Strokes. You can clearly hear the cut and pasting that the band is doing. It's forgettable fluff.

U2 are not copying Coldplay. U2 have their own sound. Coldplay is still looking for one. Even the lead singer of Coldplay has already admitted this. If any U2 song on the new album sounded like 42 it would be a disappointment.

Doesn't Coldplay actually know how to make their own sound? Even the earlier albums are basically Jeff Buckley and Radiohead. Now they are just cutting and pasting more people.

Coldplay seem to be fooling lots of people. 42 is not original. The opening of the song is basically a rip off of John Lennon's imagine. The middle part of the song sounds like Bends era Radiohead, and the end sounds like many songs from The Strokes. You can clearly hear the cut and pasting that the band is doing. It's forgettable fluff.

U2 are not copying Coldplay. U2 have their own sound. Coldplay is still looking for one. Even the lead singer of Coldplay has already admitted this. If any U2 song on the new album sounded like 42 it would be a disappointment.

Doesn't Coldplay actually know how to make their own sound? Even the earlier albums are basically Jeff Buckley and Radiohead. Now they are just cutting and pasting more people.

As I've said numerous times, Viva La Vida is only innovative to people who own about 50 albums. It's lyrically pompous, making statement after grand statement without saying anything at all that sticks, and the band cherry picks from countless sources, never fully realizing their sound. Regardless, I do enjoy the record, but it's far from being a masterpiece.

As I've said numerous times, Viva La Vida is only innovative to people who own about 50 albums. It's lyrically pompous, making statement after grand statement without saying anything at all that sticks, and the band cherry picks from countless sources, never fully realizing their sound. Regardless, I do enjoy the record, but it's far from being a masterpiece.

:applaud:

Has anyone put together a list of the dates of all of U2's major album releases?

Its seems like they've almost ALWAYS released their albums in the fall. Is that true?

Boy - October 1980
October - October 1981
War - February 1983
The Unforgettable Fire - October 1984
The Joshua Tree - March 1987
Rattle And Hum - October 1988
Achtung Baby - November 1991
Zooropa - July 1993
Passengers - November 1995
Pop - March 1997
Best Of 1980-1990 - November 1998
ATYCLB - October 2000
Best Of 1990-2000 - November 2002
Bomb - November 2004

Boy - October 1980
October - October 1981
War - February 1983
Zooropa - July 1993
Pop - March 1997
ATYCLB - October 2000
Bomb - November 2004

I'm definitely sensing a pattern here...

omg....yes....yes yes yes yes yes yes........

finally.....

I never realized that JT and POP were both in March ten years apart.

Boy - October 1980
October - October 1981
War - February 1983
Zooropa - July 1993
Pop - March 1997
ATYCLB - October 2000
Bomb - November 2004

you could throw in 18 Singles in November of 2006 and the Joshua Tree remaster in November of 2007. U2 :heart: November

Discounting the two Best of Releases - There is a pattern!

October, October, February, October, March, October, November, July, November, March, October, November, ________

OR

Autumn, Autumn, Not Autumn, Autumn, Not Autumn, Autumn, Autumn, Not Autumn, Autumn, Not Autumn, Autumn, Autumn, ___ ______

Yup, that's right people, the missing piece of the pattern is Not Autumn!! I've solved it
:p

Of course, winter includes December which is still 'Not Autumn', right? So we could still be in for a 2008 release! :wink:

I used to listen to the "elders" in my local record store bash U2 endlessly to the point that I had to sneak my CDs to the counter to buy them.
Now I get to listen to fellow U2 fans bash coldplay.
It is immature, senseless and insecure.
More than that, it is embarrassing.
If you really think U2 don't sound like anyone else, you are fooling yourself.
Bono would you rip you 7 ways from Sunday if you brought this argument up to him.
Let it rest already.

What is the criteria for "bashing"?

I guess it is subjective so you tell me.
For me it is not being able to use them in a sentence whatsoever without people getting riled up on this site.
It's silly.
So you don't like them, so what.
People are downright militant about it.

Newsflash: Coldplay sound like U2. They have a drummer, a guitarist, a bass player and a singer.
U2 sound unique and at the same time have been compared to the Beatles, The Clash, Floyd, The Stones and many other bands in their time.
And believe me, I know fans of those bands that were insulted by the comparison. I guess those people just didn't have the internet to whine about it on.

Coldplay doesn't sound like U2. There are many lesser known bands that sound(or at least try to) more like U2. There's no point in comparing those two bands. Period.

Newsflash: Coldplay sound like U2. They have a drummer, a guitarist, a bass player and a singer.
U2 sound unique and at the same time have been compared to the Beatles, The Clash, Floyd, The Stones and many other bands in their time.
And believe me, I know fans of those bands that were insulted by the comparison. I guess those people just didn't have the internet to whine about it on.

Care to point out a source? U2 may have been mentioned alongside those bands in terms of their popularity, passion, creativity, politics, whatever. But as they don't sound like ANY of those bands, I'm having a hard time believing they were accused of downright emulating the aesthetics.

Coldplay's sonic similarity to U2 is mentioned in almost EVERY review and article about the band, even the positive ones.

Coldplay doesn't sound like U2. There are many lesser known bands that sound(or at least try to) more like U2. There's no point in comparing those two bands. Period.

Coldplay doesn't sound all that much like U2.

But you know who wants Coldplay to sound like U2? Chris Martin. That's why the comparison is warranted.

Guys,

The reason why U2 are better than Coldplay is all down to having a musical maestro like The Edge - sounds original............no one plays or sounds like the Edge........the guitarist in Coldplay is not in Edge's league.

Thing is though people love Coldplay and even Noel Gallagher mentioned that Coldplay are popular worldwide (and he would love oasis to be loved the same).............they are not a rock band like Oasis and U2 are rock bands.

Anyway, sounds like another thread this discussion..........think its time to close this thread now that the Q magazine is in the shops.

Now you all believe me!!!!!

Q Magazine article... so whats the story???

Read a little bit of that Q magazine article that someone had posted online. It appears that there are some conflicting accounts as to wether the album will come out before Christmas (Nov. 14th release??) Whats the deal...???

New song... "Fuck-off Live Rocker".... interesting.... :hmm:

Although, I think HTDAAB sufferred from the delay.

I like Native Son better than vertigo, Xanax and wine better than fast cars, and thought smile would have been one of the better tracks, had it been included. Not to mention, appearantly, Mercy was on the tracklisting till it was dropped last minute.

Either way, the song descriptions sound very cool, no doubt we will have a few special songs on this disc, regardless of when it comes out!

While I disagree (in that I like "Vertigo" more than "Native Son" and "Fast Cars" more than "Xanax and Wine", the latter of which I felt had rather weak lyrics), I do agree that "Mercy" deserved a spot on the album (especially over the horribly weak "A Man and a Woman" and "One Step Closer"). In other words, I do feel that the more time U2 spent on the album, the weaker it became (and I say this as a person who likes HTDAAB more than ATYCLB).

Another person wrote that it could be a "hats vs. hairdos" situation and that the hairdos usually seem to know what they are talking about. Really? Because had Bono and Edge gave in circa 1990/1991, we wouldn't have had "Achtung Baby".

As we aren't privy to what's going on, we don't know where the split is (for all we know, Edge might be alone in his views).

Given the state of album sales today, U2 missing the holiday rush (i.e., not hitting a pre-Thanksgiving release) would definitely cause a decline. Yes, albums released earlier this year did sell well (like the last Coldplay album), but the holiday sales will definitely add to that sum.

However, given that we are a heartbeat from Sept. and still have almost no "official" information, it does tend to make one think 2009 is it. I just hope U2 recognizes what the delay could cost them. If they do and don't care, then that's saying a lot. :yes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom