Q in the United States

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2387

Refugee
Mods, feel free to move/merge.

Has anyone in the US, preferably New England, been able to get their hands on a copy of the Q edition for February at their local Borders or Barnes and Noble? Up here in Burlington, Vermont, I have been checking both stores almost daily and still see the January edition out there. I would have thought for sure the Feb U2 cover edition would be in by now.

Anyone else running into the same problem? Those familiar with Q, what day of the week do they usually arrive in the US? How far into the month?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

I live in Kansas City Missouri and check every week to no avail. So I usually settle for Cat Fancy.

My local Borders also has the January issue. I've been calling them every week for about three weeks now. I'm not in New England, but anyway...

I live in New York City. The Virgin Megastore in Union Square finally got the Q issue featuring U2 in. Barnes and Noble still doesn't have it though.

My local B&N didn't have it when I was in there this past weekend. I'm in New England.

I think it will be at the stores at the end of this week at the latest next week. It's always been this way with these foreign publications.

I'm in Orlando and was checking B&N today and the employee I spoke to was also waiting for the issue to come in. He said that they haven't gotten it and don't know when or if they will get it. He wasn't too happy about it either. He said he had also checked at Virgin and they didn't have it in yet either. I believe people in New York and in LA have gotten it. I'm wondering if they didn't underestimate the demand and run short. Normally B&N gets the issue in one month off from the UK release date but we are at least a week past that so something seems fishy.

Dana

Not wanting to alarm you all, but I already have the March issue - got it over a week ago, here in the hinterlands of Canada, of all places.

Thanks everyone. Keep the replies coming, want to hear people's stories here.

The final straw in making this thread(other than the constant cycle of walk to car in 0 degree weather, warm up said car for 15 minutes, treat frostbite, drive to bookstore, ask to no avail, return to school having wasted time and $ that could be spent on U2) was an employee and B&N who tried to tell me this was a quarterly magazine and they had no February issue. I had no energy to argue with him. At this point, it would SAVE me money to haul my ass down from Burlington, VT to some subway station in Fairfield county, CT and go into NYC and get it! In fact, if we get the warm up to 30 degrees they are predicting for this weekend, and my paycheck is as big as I expect it to be, I just might do that!

Interference road trip to NYC this weekend for Q!!!:wave:

Yeah I've given up I think. I keep checking my local B&N and Borders.. nothing.

I've always been able to get it 5 to 6 weeks after it's released in England, so I'm going to go this week and see. I was very surprised to hear people saying in the beginning that their bookstore said in would be in a week after it was released in Englad since that's never been my experience. I have every Q magazine that has U2 on the cover and have never had a problem getting it, just had to wait.

I was surprised to finally see the U2 Q issue at the Virgin Megastore in NYC. Someone had scanned the magazine when it initially came out so I read the magazine then. I'm sure Rolling Stone and other music magazines will have full articles on the new album soon so I'll wait to buy one of them.

Ladies and gentlemen, I have in my hands the U2 edition of Q. I picked it up today at the Pike Place Market news stand in Seattle.

You may all bow before me and my awesome Seattleness.

Have any of you guys tried asking if you could speak to one of the people who shelves periodicals at your Borders or B&N about taking your name and # and possibly calling you when/if the magazine you're waiting for arrives? I've had them do this for me before; sometimes they can even put a copy aside for 24 hours or so.

From having managed a bookstore for several years, I can vouch for the fact that unfortunately booksellers have very little control over the reliability of periodicals shipments. Typically magazine shipments will arrive every day, but multiple distributors are used, and except for weekly magazines like Newsweek or whatever, it's impossible to predict exactly when the shipment containing the next edition of a particular magazine will arrive. Nor, unfortunately, is there much control over shortage issues; if the distributors have less to go around of some particular magazine than usual, then some stores are going to get shorted, and there's nothing the individual store can do about it when that happens. Specialty stores might occasionally receive direct shipments from the magazine publisher itself, which makes supplies more reliable, but this is rare.

Last edited:
Yeah I've given up I think. I keep checking my local B&N and Borders.. nothing.

No don't give up. An international magazine store near me, which gets all sorts of rare European stuff only had the December issue 2 weeks ago. The Feburary issue is actually coming out in February in North America. It'll turn up.

Typically magazine shipments will arrive every day, but multiple distributors are used, and except for weekly magazines like Newsweek or whatever, it's impossible to predict exactly when the shipment containing the next edition of a particular magazine will arrive.

Yeah, I didn't want to run the risk of that happening, so I ordered my copy thru the Q website directly. I'd rather it come late than risk not being able to get a copy from one of my local bookstores. I ordered mine almost 3 weeks ago, and in the email confirmation they said it would arrive within 28 days. I'm sure it will be here soon. :)

San Diego, CA Borders still don't have it. (B&N doesn't carry Q in San Diego)

One thing that might be a reason, here anyways: One of the bigger newstands down town here where I can usually get Q, NME, and Hot Press told me that in recent months his order of Q has been coming in later and later and he didn't know why, but it was a pattern he'd seen for awhile now, not just this issue.

I've been visiting the Barnes & Noble and Borders in downtown Chicago for weeks now, hunting for the new Q. One of the B&N staff members i asked a while ago said that they shelf the periodicals as soon as they receive them. Doesn't help much, but it's something. You could try calling the store and see if they have a shipping date for it. Every time I go, I get so exciting thinking that it will be there, and it never is. This forces me to buy books just because I'm there. I have no more room on my bookshelf now! That's a lot of trip! I just want it already!!!!!!:hyper:

I picked up the U2 issue 10 minutes ago at my campus bookstore, so it's here! :hyper:

I didn't check my local Borders today, but last week they said that they'd have it this week. They get shipments on Tuesdays, so it should be on the shelves at Borders today.

Good luck!

I buy Q every month (I should kick that habit), and generally, the last weekend of a month is when I can find the coming month's issue. Sometimes though, it's not until the first weekend of a month that I find that month's issue (surely it arrives during the week, but I generally just go on Saturdays).

Barnes & Noble still had the January issue last Saturday, so I'm hoping that I'll have better luck this Saturday. :love:

I picked up the U2 issue 10 minutes ago at my campus bookstore, so it's here! :hyper:

I didn't check my local Borders today, but last week they said that they'd have it this week. They get shipments on Tuesdays, so it should be on the shelves at Borders today.

Good luck!

Thanks for the heads up. This timing is normal for Q.

Sounds like we have hit the magic day in most places. Makes sense, since I read a couple months back that the ship dates were always Tuesdays. Being Wednesday today, etc.

I will check, and keep everyone posted. Thanks again.

Any idea of what sort of features are in there? I wasn't too excited about picking up blender last time because I had read enough on the web about the album but this time around I haven't seen that many interviews with the band (I haven't been following as closely until Boots hit though) and Q has a 30-page blowout so theres gotta some interesting stuff in there.

I keep checking, they said wait another week and that was almost 2 weeks ago...they still have Q with the Kings of Leon on the cover...

I WANT MY U2 GOD DAMIT

Over here in LA, I saw the mag at a local newstand about 3 weeks ago and stupidly didn't buy it then! Meanwhile the bookstores (Borders, B&N) still have the one with KOL on the cover -- how long's that one been out, anyway?! And today I checked back on the newstand (two, in fact), and they already have the new one w/ The Killers on the cover! I hope the bookstores didn't screw up and miss out on the U2 issue :(

So if you see one, definitley pick it up! Apparently you can also order it from the Q website, and I heard it might even be cheaper to get it directly from them...

Back
Top Bottom