Production credits etc for Instant Karma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PookaMacP

War Child
Just downloaded Instant Karma from iTunes and was wondering what the credits are for the song - who produced, where was it recorded, etc? Why? Because in the context of the Abbey Road sessions I was wondering if it was recorded then and was the third Rubin song or not? Anyone got the CD and can give me the details?

Produced and Mixed by: Tal Hertzberg with additional production from Larry Mullen Jnr and The Edge

That remark was partielly meant as sarcasm, but I actually am serious. The greater Larry's influrnce the more boring the music is it seems.

waynetravis said:
Produced and Mixed by: Tal Hertzberg with additional production from Larry Mullen Jnr and The Edge

Why not go the easy way and blame one out of the three guys that worked on the music? :up:

He's part of the band just as The Edge is.

Besides this Tal Hertzberg guy, looking at the credits, probably had more to do with the production than "additional production" Larry or Edge anyway.

U2girl said:
He's part of the band just as The Edge is.

Besides this Tal Hertzberg guy, looking at the credits, probably had more to do with the production than "additional production" Larry or Edge anyway.

He's part of the band just as Edge is, but I can't imagine anyone arguing that their impact on the band is anywhere in the same stratosphere. After reading U2 by U2, the band seems to agree. And it also appears I'm not the only one that got the sense (while reading the book) that Larry's input has been...a bit questionable at times.

bram said:

the band seems to agree. And it also appears I'm not the only one that got the sense (while reading the book) that Larry's input has been...a bit questionable at times.

that comment is so "out of context" I'm surprised you expect anyone to take it seriously.
but it is your opinion, after all.:shrug:

bram said:

He's part of the band just as Edge is, but I can't imagine anyone arguing that their impact on the band is anywhere in the same stratosphere. After reading U2 by U2, the band seems to agree. And it also appears I'm not the only one that got the sense (while reading the book) that Larry's input has been...a bit questionable at times.

Well, all of them get their opinion out on the table, but if you look at their career I think Bono and Edge had more influence on their music than Larry (and no one seems to mention Adam).

It wasn't Larry who suggested they use Eno for UF, or that they try a new music direction for AB, or that they make an entire album out of the suppposed EP for Zooropa. And we all know how he feels (felt) on the two albums starting with the letter P (the rest of the band has some second thoughts on one of those albums but never mind that). Yet the band still did all those things.

Care to provide some examples of Larry's questionable input for those who haven't read the book ? If you're referring to the last two albums, I believe the whole band was into pop music for ATYCLB. Remember that Howie B quote from Popmart soundchecks how he kept throwing out the dizzy effects but the sound of the band kept getting bigger ? They were into pure songwriting even before they started that album, it seems. As for Bomb, you need to look no further than The. Edge. He did the majority of music for that album. And lest we forget, the infamous 2003 veto on Bomb was done by both Larry and Adam (also remember the "you don't have enough songs" comment by Lillywhite when they started working on Bomb with him) yet somehow the bass player got out of it unscathed.

I think Larry is more of a put-on-the-brakes kinda guy. Seems like he squashes bad ideas before they make it too far. So who knows the stuff that has been stopped by his filter?

I just thought it was interesting that he was taking an active role in production. Knob-twiddling didn't seem like his bag...

sue4u2 said:

that comment is so "out of context" I'm surprised you expect anyone to take it seriously.
but it is your opinion, after all.:shrug:

How is this "out of context"? Most of the first page of this thread is about how Larry's input into the musical process is usually in the direction of making it more boring/predictable/worse. This has long been a popular opinion on this forum as far as I can tell, and U2 by U2 seems to readily confirm this (although whether you think his timidity/conservatism makes the music better or worse is, of course, personal opinion). That being said, thank goodness he has not had equal input, or the 90s may have been the 80s part 2. So while Larry's input is important and necessary at times, luckily he often doesn't get his way.

To end on a positive Larry note, I love what he has been saying about Fez and the next album. He finally seems to be breaking out of his own stereotype.

It's all relative. If he had said he dislikes, say, the last two albums, and not the ones starting wtih the letter P, he'd be a national hero here.

What's the alternative to Larry, really ? Oceans of hype from Bono and Edge (Adam speaks more rarely) ?

I trust Larry with giving accurate news and I trust Edge with making original and amazing music.

bram said:
I trust Larry with giving accurate news and I trust Edge with making original and amazing music.
Larry's like Action 5 Doppler Radar AccuTrackback Weather :up: Solid, but never exciting for some reason :D

U2girl said:
It's all relative. If he had said he dislikes, say, the last two albums, and not the ones starting wtih the letter P, he'd be a national hero here.

What's the alternative to Larry, really ? Oceans of hype from Bono and Edge (Adam speaks more rarely) ?

Best example of what would happen if Larry weren't involved in the creative direction of the band is the current incarnation of R.E.M. after their drummer left.

I used to love the band, but since New Adventures in Hi-Fi, they've been an ungrounded, way-high-concept caricature of what they used to be.

They sound really similar, but it's like the difference between a building constructed on top of a deep, solid concrete foundation, and one that's just been dropped onto the ground with no support. At first glance they don't seem too different, but the more time you spend with them the more it's obvious that one is just a flimsy idea, while the other is damn near eternal.

bram said:

Fair enough. But don't blame the former if the latter doesn't deliver.

I think at this point, I'd rather let Edge and Bono loose (or relatively loose), even if it means some misfiring. But it really seems like everyone's on the same page right now--an exciting progressive page. Did anyone else get really excited when (I think it was Larry) was talking about making an album that flows more cohesively as an album (I don't have time to check the quote at the moment)?

I think if The Edge And Bono were let loose a bit we'd have better albums, easily. It's true that they may not be more consistent... more consistently boring.

Back
Top Bottom