Preliminary Head to Head - SOI - SOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

womanfish

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
So for a distraction from discussing the finer details of offensive slang. I thought we could do a little rating of the songs we know from SOE, against similar songs from SOI.

I tried to group some songs together that fall into sort of the same vein... and go from there. Feel free to add other songs if you think they have a similar feel to them.

1. The Best Thing – 7
2. California – 7
3. SFS – 5
(If The Crystal Ballroom could be included, it would be number 1 with about an 8.5 rating)

1. The Blackout - 8
2. RBW – 8
3. Volcano - 7
4. The Miracle - 6

1. The Troubles – 9
2. EBW – 9
3. Iris - 7
4. Little Things – 6 in it’s current state – I’m hoping for at least a 7 with the album version…

Have at it.

... we've heard one song.

I’ve not listened to Blackout for weeks because of the quality of the mix - it is what it is, but I can’t judge it against album versions of songs.

Same for Little Things... especially when you consider how they’ve treated You’re The Best Thing - three (I think) mixes of it, one done the night before the dealing - and Edge has said there’s still some tinkering to be done on the album.

Plus, I must be getting old because acronyms for albums are great and easy to remember, but for a lot of the song titles they just confuse my brain immensely. I’ve never understood the obsession with them, apart from obviously confirming your status as an überfan.

#buzzkill

sorry, fun, speculative discussion isn't permitted here!

Sonics aside, I think you can rate songs based on the songwriting, and if/how they move you. I wont try and group them

SOE:
Best Thing - 6
Blackout - 7
Little Things - 7

SOI:
Miracle - 5
EBW - 7
California - 7
SFS - 3
Iris - 5
Volcanco - 6
RBW - 7
Cedarwood - 9
SLABT - 7
Reach Me Now - 8
Troubles - 9

Average SOE score: 6.7
Average SOI score: 6.6

It's pre-pre-speculative. We've only heard two songs in decent audio quality.

SOE:
Best Thing - 8
Blackout - 8 but need to hear studio
Little Things - 7 but need to hear studio

SOI:
Miracle - 7
EBW - 10
California - 7
SFS - 8
Iris - 6
Volcanco - 7
RBW - 6
Cedarwood - 5
SLABT - 7
Reach Me Now - 7
Troubles - 6
Crystal Ballroom- 8
Lucifer’s Hands- 5
SLAB Alternate- 6
Troubles Alternate- 3 (only true misfire)
EBW Acoustic - 7
All other acoustics are meh (5s)

So I like what I hear of Blackout because t let’s be honest the crowd noise plus the (purposely) less than ideal recording means this song can be a lot better or worse on the album. Same goes for Little Things.

I did not like TBT the first time I heard it but I am really enjoying it now. I with someone would put up a poll rating it but I do think my 8 is a little higher than the likely consensus around here which I would put at a 6/7.

As for SOI, it’s no secret that I really like that album but some of the songs have come down a little over the past few years for me. The album has a lot of solid songs but very few great songs(EBW is one and SFS comes close).

sorry, fun, speculative discussion isn't permitted here!

Sonics aside, I think you can rate songs based on the songwriting, and if/how they move you. I wont try and group them

SOE:
Best Thing - 6
Blackout - 7
Little Things - 7

SOI:
Miracle - 5
EBW - 7
California - 7
SFS - 3
Iris - 5
Volcanco - 6
RBW - 7
Cedarwood - 9
SLABT - 7
Reach Me Now - 8
Troubles - 9

Average SOE score: 6.7
Average SOI score: 6.6
It's not speculative... we've heard one song. One.

It's not speculative... we've heard one song. One.

The word speculative speaks for itself. We have heard 3 songs. Two we know will have a different slant on the proper studio version, one we probably have the final album version of, but aren't even sure on that.

I call it preliminary because its how we are feeling about the 3 songs NOW, in their current state, as compared to our feelings on SOI songs. Preliminary meaning, we all know that there will be another thread come December 1 or 2 on how we will compare SOE songs with SOI songs. Even that will be preliminary since we have sat with SOI for 3 years and we will have sat with SOE for 3 hours.

Just would rather talk about this than pages of if the Edge used a backing track on 15 seconds of a song or how certain words hurt people's feelings on different levels...

SOE:
Best Thing - 8

:huh:

Just would rather talk about this than pages of if the Edge used a backing track on 15 seconds of a song or how certain words hurt people's feelings on different levels...

How about not talk at all? Or find something else to do? Go read a news article.

The word speculative speaks for itself. We have heard 3 songs. Two we know will have a different slant on the proper studio version, one we probably have the final album version of, but aren't even sure on that.

I call it preliminary because its how we are feeling about the 3 songs NOW, in their current state, as compared to our feelings on SOI songs. Preliminary meaning, we all know that there will be another thread come December 1 or 2 on how we will compare SOE songs with SOI songs. Even that will be preliminary since we have sat with SOI for 3 years and we will have sat with SOE for 3 hours.

I mean... fine, okay.

We've heard one song. We know full well that these guys can change their minds, change entire song structures and what not even up to the last hours before they put the album to bed.

We've heard one song that we absolutely 100% know will be on the album, in that form. We've heard two songs that will probably be on the album in some form or another, but a) we haven't seen a track list, so minds can change, and b) god knows what the actual tracks will look like when they're released.

So a thread comparing a full album plus 2 b sides to one track and two maybes is less speculative and more pulling shit out of one's ass. But hey, have at it.

1. The Best Thing – 5/10
2. SFS - 4/10
3. California – 3/10

1. The Blackout - 6.5/10
2. Volcano - 6/10
3. RBW - 6/10
4. The Miracle - 4/10

1. The Troubles – 8/10
2. EBW – 7/10
3. Little Things – 7/10
4. Iris - 3/10

1. The Best Thing – 5/10
2. SFS - 4/10
3. California – 3/10

1. The Blackout - 6.5/10
2. Volcano - 6/10
3. RBW - 6/10
4. The Miracle - 4/10

1. The Troubles – 8/10
2. EBW – 7/10
3. Little Things – 7/10
4. Iris - 3/10

Here's my ratings:
1. The Best Thing – 4/10
2. SFS - 7/10
3. California – 6/10

1. The Blackout - 6/10
2. Volcano - 7/10
3. RBW - 8/10
4. The Miracle - 3/10

1. The Troubles – 6/10
2. EBW – 7/10
3. Little Things – 6/10
4. Iris - 9/10

I mean... fine, okay.

We've heard one song. We know full well that these guys can change their minds, change entire song structures and what not even up to the last hours before they put the album to bed.

We've heard one song that we absolutely 100% know will be on the album, in that form. We've heard two songs that will probably be on the album in some form or another, but a) we haven't seen a track list, so minds can change, and b) god knows what the actual tracks will look like when they're released.

So a thread comparing a full album plus 2 b sides to one track and two maybes is less speculative and more pulling shit out of one's ass. But hey, have at it.

I'll take it! :wink:

:huh:

How about not talk at all? Or find something else to do? Go read a news article.

jesus guys, are you really making a point of shitting on a completely harmless thread?

like, you feel your contribution/policing is adding value to what amounts to voluntary discussion on a u2 fan board?

dont get me wrong - I'm not offended by it.. but, it is a little puzzling

SOE:
Best Thing - 8

SOI:
Miracle - 7
EBW - 10
California - 7
SFS - 8
Iris - 6
Volcanco - 7
RBW - 6
Cedarwood - 5
SLABT - 7
Reach Me Now - 7
Troubles - 6
Crystal Ballroom- 8
Lucifer’s Hands- 5
SLAB Alternate- 6
Troubles Alternate- 3 (only true misfire)
EBW Acoustic - 7
All other acoustics are meh (5s)

So I like what I hear of Blackout because t let’s be honest the crowd noise plus the (purposely) less than ideal recording means this song can be a lot better or worse on the album. Same goes for Little Things.

I did not like TBT the first time I heard it but I am really enjoying it now. I with someone would put up a poll rating it but I do think my 8 is a little higher than the likely consensus around here which I would put at a 6/7.

As for SOI, it’s no secret that I really like that album but some of the songs have come down a little over the past few years for me. The album has a lot of solid songs but very few great songs(EBW is one and SFS comes close).

Blackout seems the most adventurous of the 3.. little less reliant on u2 songwriting 101. I dont know that there's an equivalent on SOI..?

hope it's not an outlier.

I mean... fine, okay.

Do we know for sure that TBT will be in that form? Considering how many versions are floating around they could change their minds and put whatever they want on the album.

Blackout seems the most adventurous of the 3.. little less reliant on u2 songwriting 101. I dont know that there's an equivalent on SOI..?

hope it's not an outlier.

RBW was about as close as I could come. Has some new and different aspects going on, especially in the verses. The chorus is pretty U2ey

We’ve heard THREE songs - only one of which is apparently a finished (supposed) studio production.

To say we’ve only heard one song is absolutely ludicrous.

I understand that the Little Things live performances and the Blackout aren’t the final studio versions, but we have, in fact, heard those songs. If those aren’t songs that I’ve been listening to - well I don’t have a word for what to call them. We’ve heard the melodies and the dynamics of the tunes. We’ve shat and psychoanalyzed all the words (Bert- fail). We’ve heard the songs. We’ve heard 3 songs. THREE SONGS!!!

We. Have. Heard. One. Song.

We heard new songs live on 360. Three of them. Two didn't make the album, and the one that did was drastically different.

This band has axed songs a week before the album was to hit presses, that they spoke of in interviews and played for critics.

We've heard one song.

Last edited:
We. Have. Heard. One. Song.

We heard new songs live on 360. Three of them. Two didn't make the album, and the one that did was drastically different.

This band has axed songs a week before the album was to hit presses, that they spoke of in interviews and played for critics.

We've heard one song.

And yet I’ve heard 3 songs. Those songs on 360 were still songs. Maybe these won’t make the album, but we’ve still heard THREE songs.

ETA...And if people want to make the assumption that they will be on the album and compare them to tracks on the previous album for fun, good on them. And if it turns out that they are not on the album, then that still makes them songs and it’s cool that we get to hear them.

I’m not really good at this semantic stuff (that I started, I know) so I’ll stop here and play along w the original premise of the thread.

Need to revisit SOI first.

Last edited:
And yet I’ve heard 3 songs. Those songs on 360 were still songs. Maybe these won’t make the album, but we’ve still heard THREE songs.
giphy.gif

I have no argument for that.

Yes, indeed... You heard three songs.

Okay here we go...

SOE
Best Things- B+
Little Things - man, the first part is pretty but a bit of a drag after a while, then that outro is scorching. Epic. C+for the first part, A for the conclusion.
The Blackout - B/B+

SOI
Joey Ramones - there are cool things about it but it’s just sorta boring C-
Breaking Wave - love it. B+/A-
California- Solid B.
Song For Someone - I like it, but the preposterous drama of the intro/outro is offputting. earns it a C+
IRIS - B. lovely but I have a disconnect with it. I can certainly understand why someone might give it an A.
Volcano - C+ Blackout is way better.
Raised By Wolves - Solid B
Cedarwood Road - B

Have to pee. Part 2 coming soon...

Part II:
Sleep Like Baby - it’s good that they did this. B.
Reacharound- I wish it sounded MORE like the Clash - rawer! A worthy tune! B/B+!
Troubles - Drama! B+. All those guitar bits at the end!
Luciferous Hands - classic B-Side gets a Solid C. It’s slightly more exciting than Miracles of Joey. That bridge is lovely, but absolutely does NOT belong there. And folks complain about Best Things About Boy!
Crystal Ballroom - The Best Thing About this (Deluxe Version) Album?! Maybe. B+/A- (that’s like an 88-89/100 in my book, FYI)

I’m not gonna do it for all those acoustic tracks. I’m glad we got them. Cool to hear, but there’s nothing mega-awesome. Still happy to have them. Same w the alternate versions.
ETA:
Be good.

Back
Top Bottom