Preliminary Head to Head - SOI - SOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nah... it's the band's best output since Zooropa, yo ;D

The consensus in Interference is that SOI is a good album that doesn’t have the highs of many other albums but also doesn’t have the lows.

I personally enjoy it a lot but there aren’t too many songs that make me want to roll down the windows and turn the volume to 11 :)

My favorite since POP. I can see not loving Miracle or SFS. Reach is just so so for me... But I really don't see how people can deny RBW, EBW, SLABT, The Troubles, which i think is some of their best work ever. I also really like Volcano and California, Cedarwood and Iris. Strong stuff. And the album is incredibly consistent, which is a nice break from the 3 previous.

SOI gets a solid B from me. There are some songs I like a lot, some I don't care for but don't feel the need to skip, and as a whole it's pleasant to listen to. It doesn't hurt that it ends really strong. If the back half was Miracle - SFS I don't think I'd like it as much. That being said, if I was introducing U2 to someone I'd pick any album from the 80s and 90s over it, and there aren't any songs that I want them to play live again, though if they did I wouldn't complain. I'd be fucking annoyed to hear the Best Thing live though, and I'd just be waiting for Blackout and Little Things to end.

Nah... it's the band's best output since Zooropa, yo ;D

I would never rate it above POP. It's just too brave with too many high points...and just an exciting record overall (both thematically and sonically).

That said, SOI is a strong album and much better than anticipated IMO.

My favorite since POP. I can see not loving Miracle or SFS. Reach is just so so for me... But I really don't see how people can deny RBW, EBW, SLABT, The Troubles, which i think is some of their best work ever. I also really like Volcano and California, Cedarwood and Iris. Strong stuff. And the album is incredibly consistent, which is a nice break from the 3 previous.

I completely agree with this. Not a huge fan of The Miracle, and some of the songs have maybe a bit too much production, but overall a very strong album and has some great stuff throughout. Most of the song translates really well in concert.

Last edited:
SOI gets a solid B from me. There are some songs I like a lot, some I don't care for but don't feel the need to skip, and as a whole it's pleasant to listen to. It doesn't hurt that it ends really strong. If the back half was Miracle - SFS I don't think I'd like it as much. That being said, if I was introducing U2 to someone I'd pick any album from the 80s and 90s over it, and there aren't any songs that I want them to play live again, though if they did I wouldn't complain. I'd be fucking annoyed to hear the Best Thing live though, and I'd just be waiting for Blackout and Little Things to end.

I completely agree w everything you relate about SOI.

And at the same time my feelings about the SOE tunes we’ve heard is exactly the opposite.

Ain’t that somethin

I completely agree w everything you relate about SOI.

And at the same time my feelings about the SOE tunes we’ve heard is exactly the opposite.

Ain’t that somethin

I agree. I can't see really liking SOI and really disliking what we've heard so far from SOE. They seem in the same wheelhouse to me. I am hoping the studio versions and non windy video leaks of the tunes bump them up even more for me. But so far, they all seem pretty solid and consistent, like SOI.

The word speculative speaks for itself. We have heard 3 songs. Two we know will have a different slant on the proper studio version, one we probably have the final album version of, but aren't even sure on that.

I call it preliminary because its how we are feeling about the 3 songs NOW, in their current state, as compared to our feelings on SOI songs. Preliminary meaning, we all know that there will be another thread come December 1 or 2 on how we will compare SOE songs with SOI songs. Even that will be preliminary since we have sat with SOI for 3 years and we will have sat with SOE for 3 hours.

Just would rather talk about this than pages of if the Edge used a backing track on 15 seconds of a song or how certain words hurt people's feelings on different levels...

And soon it will be 4, what with GOOYOW coming!

Soi is a top class album, I still listen to it now

a top class album wouldn't have volcano, joey ramone, song for someone, and others on it.

but that's beside the point. i pointed out that there's not exactly a consensus that the album in question is any good. in fact, i'd say there's more consensus based on reviews, sales, etc. that at best this album is mediocre.

a fan who's dedicated enough to post regularly on a u2 message board, stating that this is a "top class album" doesn't change that opinion. as myself and many others disagree, that in itself suggests that there's no "consensus". nevermind what most others think about the album outside of this place.

all that said, you're free to like whatever you want. obviously.

it still blows my mind, however, that a fan of this band who's created decades worth of fantastic material can impress you with this pandering nonsense. this is a band that's clearly lost their edge (pun not intended). there's not a band out there that wouldn't suffer the same fate. fame, fortune, success... it has to blunt the spark that once was there. not to mention age. they simply can't have the fire they once did, so it's understandable they're not producing the same amazing work they once did.

SOI is a great fresh album and I don t skip 1 track. It is maybe the only album with AB where I don t skip a song, which is strange because I would rank it after TUF, TJT, POP, BOY and AB of course.... I love this album.

i pointed out that there's not exactly a consensus that the album in question is any good. in fact, i'd say there's more consensus based on reviews, sales, etc. that at best this album is mediocre.

So the sales of the album that was given out for free to every iTunes user around the world 6 weeks prior to being released didn’t impress you?

but that's beside the point. i pointed out that there's not exactly a consensus that the album in question is any good. in fact, i'd say there's more consensus based on reviews, sales, etc. that at best this album is mediocre.
While I don't disagree with this statement, I'm a little confused as to who you're arguing against lol... I made a comment to another poster acknowledging our mutual appreciation for SoI, others chimed in w/ similar opinions, aaaannnddd that was it [emoji14] Just because a few of us happen to share an affinity for the record doesn't mean we're so deluded as to believe everyone else does!

I made a comment to another poster acknowledging our mutual appreciation for SoI, others chimed in w/ similar opinions, aaaannnddd that was it [emoji14] Just because a few of us happen to share an affinity for the record doesn't mean we're so deluded as to believe everyone else does!

This is a U2 fan forum...please keep any positive discussions about recent work to yourself!

Just wait til the @u2er's get here... :shifty:

It’s funny you wrote that because I was reading their forum today and there is a thread about where to go to talk U2. Someone posted that whatever you do, don’t go to Interference because the “old timers” are negative and if you have a different opinion they will group up on you.

Some others agreed and some didn’t and then they said if a lot of them come here, it might make it more positive.

I don’t think it’s bad here at all and most people are cordial but that is in this area of the forum(I stay away from the political threads)

Last edited:
a top class album wouldn't have volcano, joey ramone, song for someone, and others on it.

a fan who's dedicated enough to post regularly on a u2 message board, stating that this is a "top class album" doesn't change that opinion. as myself and many others disagree, that in itself suggests that there's no "consensus". nevermind what most others think about the album outside of this place.

all that said, you're free to like whatever you want. obviously.

it still blows my mind, however, that a fan of this band who's created decades worth of fantastic material can impress you with this pandering nonsense. this is a band that's clearly lost their edge (pun not intended). there's not a band out there that wouldn't suffer the same fate. fame, fortune, success... it has to blunt the spark that once was there. not to mention age. they simply can't have the fire they once did, so it's understandable they're not producing the same amazing work they once did.

At the end of the day it's all down to opinions. The record could sell one copy get 1 out of 5 stars in the reviews, everyone hates it but if you like it then you like it. Like I said it's all down to opinions

I think it's a great album and I would probably put it in my top 5 records from u2. There's not a bad track on it and it's a very consistent album.

If you agree then great if you don't then you don't, its all about personal taste and opinion

I see people rave about passengers on here, my personal opinion is it's a sack of shit, some people loved cedars of Lebanon but It sends me to sleep, some people hate the best thing I love it. Everyone has a different opinion on everything.

All we agree on is that u2 are that band for us all that pull us in with that emotional attachment. We laugh, we cry, our mood goes up and down, u2 is just raw emotion what ever that emotion is. That's why we visit these boards Day in day out. We all love u2

Last edited:
While I don't disagree with this statement, I'm a little confused as to who you're arguing against lol... I made a comment to another poster acknowledging our mutual appreciation for SoI, others chimed in w/ similar opinions, aaaannnddd that was it [emoji14] Just because a few of us happen to share an affinity for the record doesn't mean we're so deluded as to believe everyone else does!

this is a fair post. i think i fell off the rails a bit with my earlier comment.

what i've said has been said a million times already and didn't really contribute to anything here.

I see people rave about passengers on here, my personal opinion is it's a sack of shit, some people loved cedars of Lebanon but It sends me to sleep, some people hate the best thing I love it. Everyone has a different opinion on everything.

To quote the American classic movie Step Brothers:

“Did we just become best friends? Yep”

Now if you tell me you like Elevation and Love and Peace or Else, then we might be the same poster and I just don’t realize it.

To quote the American classic movie Step Brothers:

“Did we just become best friends? Yep”

Now if you tell me you like Elevation and Love and Peace or Else, then we might be the same poster and I just don’t realize it.

I love elevation and hate the flack it gets on here, but the reaction it gets at each gig, a reaction that is on par with any other song is like a up yours to the haters :)

I do like love and peace or else aswell :) I don't love it but it's never a track I skip on bomb, thought it was good live on the vertigo tour aswell. Black rebel motorcycle club/ u2

At the end of the day it's all down to opinions. The record could sell one copy get 1 out of 5 stars in the reviews, everyone hates it but if you like it then you like it. Like I said it's all down to opinions

I think it's a great album and I would probably put it in my top 5 records from u2. There's not a bad track on it and it's a very consistent album.

If you agree then great if you don't then you don't, its all about personal taste and opinion

All we agree on is that u2 are that band for us all that pull us in with that emotional attachment. We laugh, we cry, our mood goes up and down, u2 is just raw emotion what ever that emotion is. That's why we visit these boards Day in day out. We all love u2

This is solid. Like a clean getaway.
The poop joke is not meant in reference to your post - it just popped into my head.

I have solid agreeance w your sentiments. This is the only band I follow like this - on a message board nitpicking nonsense about the songs, dissecting songs performances ( on the chart and on the stage), being irritated by them and being reinvigorated by them. It’s a reasonably safe place to share an opinion about obscure band related stuff and interact w someone. If I talked about this shit w my buddy at the bar or my wife, they’d have NO idea what the fuck I’m on about.

In summary, I happen to love these new songs. SOI , while consistent on the whole, lacks any songs of explosive, laser beam awesomenes. This one might have a few for me, based on what I’ve heard.

i respectfully disagree that there's any degree of agreement that Elevation and LaPoE are even remotely tolerable...

teehee :p

this is a fair post. i think i fell off the rails a bit with my earlier comment.

what i've said has been said a million times already and didn't really contribute to anything here.

But srsly now, I... was not expecting this response lol. This isn't directed at you, personally, but more often than is necessary do I find some posters seemingly chomping at the bits to escalate a conversation--which would otherwise be a fairly innocuous discussion--into something far more hostile. So I was pleasantly surprised to not see that happen with this simple disagreement (my playful jab aside hah).

Cheers :up:

Last edited:
i respectfully disagree that there's any degree of agreement that Elevation and LaPoE are even remotely tolerable...

teehee :p

But srsly now, I... was not expecting this response lol. This isn't directed at you, personally, but more often than is necessary do I find some posters seemingly chomping at the bits to escalate a conversation--which would otherwise be a fairly innocuous discussion--into something far more hostile. So I was pleasantly surprised to not see that happen with this simple disagreement (my playful jab aside hah).

Cheers :up:

Well, thanks. It’s incredibly easy to be snarky online about the most ridiculous, inane things. I’m as guilty as anyone for portraying a certain level of ridiculousness, but it’s mostly meant to come across as purposely proposterous/tongue in cheek in order to overstate an opinion.

But anyway, thanks for the lovely comment.

I like Elevation too. Their reliance on dumb riff rock songs since then has made me like it less, though. Vertigo dampened my appreciation for it, then Boots soaked it. Still, at the time I liked it a lot and I enjoy it when I hear it.

It’s funny you wrote that because I was reading their forum today and there is a thread about where to go to talk U2. Someone posted that whatever you do, don’t go to Interference because the “old timers” are negative and if you have a different opinion they will group up on you.

Some others agreed and some didn’t and then they said if a lot of them come here, it might make it more positive.

I don’t think it’s bad here at all and most people are cordial but that is in this area of the forum(I stay away from the political threads)

@U2 people wouldn't be able to handle the freedom. Cussing, political talk...they're used to North Korea style social controls. That's the children's forum.

Anyone heard all the tracks from the new album yet? I was wondering as it sounds like some people already know what the album sounds like and have written it off already.

How have you managed to hear it all? Please let me know as I can't find it anywhere. :wave:

Anyone heard all the tracks from the new album yet? I was wondering as it sounds like some people already know what the album sounds like and have written it off already.

How have you managed to hear it all? Please let me know as I can't find it anywhere. :wave:

No one here’s heard it, its Interference, some here have already written off Bono’s future haircut.

Many @u2'ers are so far you the band's asses that any slight towards the band, real or percieved, causes them to not sleep for days.

While I get that there are some here who legitimately seem as if they don't even like U2, most of the criticism of the band is valid, and frankly I would have stopped posting here a long long time ago if it was the sanctimonious bullshit that the @u2 forum became.

My opinion of SoI has diminished over time. I was quite happy with it when it first came out, but as time has gone on, most songs don't strike me as being all that memorable.

Back
Top Bottom