Predictions For The New Album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhill

Refugee
1. Edge will have a extended and extraordinary guitar solo - the first in how many albums? Since Achtung?

2. The public will embrace the album in a more meaningful way when it's released than they have since Achtung.

3. Bono's vocals will soar more than they have overall since the 80's.

4. It will be greater than the sum of its parts.

5. It will have 12 tracks.

6. We will see more new b-sides than we have for a long time.

7. It will get radio play on stations other than adult contemporary.

1. Everyone will hate it after a few weeks.

2. 'x song is an old U2 song here rewrite!'

3. Complaints about Bono's song themes.

4. High praise from RS.

5. Weight/money related jokes about Paul Mc

There seems to be a lot of goodwill flowing toward the band right now. So long as the first single gives us the signature uplift while feeling fresh, it will do well enough to remind people why they like U2, and it will do well enough to feel like a hit, thus slanting all media coverage to follow towards the positive.

They are amazing in an arena, and the tour will be rapturously received after the lengthy stadium trek.

The people who hate themselves will hate the album.

1) It will be release not before October 2014.
2) Invisible won't be part of the album.
3) Lyrics won't be better that the previous 3 albums.
4) the lead single will be the only successful single of the album.
5) It will sound like they put AB and TUF in a blender.

and yes,6) Still, RS will give it 4 stars,

I predict some will bitch and somehow use a Radiohead reference when complaining about the lack of "experimentation".

Others will love it just because it's U2.

:shrug:

Look back at this in 6 months... it's spot on.

RS will drool and proclaim it "Album of the 21st century" or something. Pitchfork will take a dump on it and award it 4.7/10. It will reference at least one animal of either the jungle or garden variety.

There will be a song with a generic piano part, about which many people will say sounds "just like Coldplay".

-Songs that involve Coldplay members and sound like Coldplay will be denied as sounding like Coldplay.
-People will complain about the track order.
-People will complain about the songs they like the least and then trash the rest of the album because of them.
-Fans with preconceived ideas of what they personally want on the album will be in dismay (as they always are). Apparently the band has to mind-read the audience and tailor their album to their tastes. Maybe it's taking so long because they need to make a separate album for each Myers-Briggs personality type so that everyone is happy.
-Ironically those same fans will complain that the band are trying too hard to please everyone.

The Man, the Boy, and the Donkey an Aesop's Fable

-My 100% accurate prediction. Someone will complain.

1) No massive hit singles. U2 will have a solitary Top 100 hit with the first single, mostly based on pent up demand for new U2 material and some solid play on Triple A and a few rock stations. Regardless of whether the songs are or aren't catchy/original enough, the modern mainstream radio formats just aren't all that inclusive to what U2 is doing at the moment.

2) Album will sell 2.5 million copies by the end of the band's tour. Only six albums in total reached that mark this calendar year, so my prediction isn't a lowball, just where the industry is at. In fact, I'm tempted to say 2 million flat, but U2's fan base is massive and I think another huge world tour will keep it racking up sales for some time.

3) Tour will be a looser affair with more intimate shows/b-sides and no real stress on being the highest grossing ever. The band's fun on the tour and love for some of their new material will help them trudge onward after their initial disappointment when the album fails to impress too many critics or land the all important big single.

4) Initial reaction on here will be about the same as No Line On The Horizon and people's opinions will harshen towards it as time goes on (just as with the previous three albums). The record will be held up as their best of this century, however, by Interferencers - mostly because it will lack any downright shitty songs like "Stand Up Comedy" or truly divisive pop material ("Stuck In A Moment"..."I'll Go Crazy").

5) The band will almost completely ignore the last two albums on the tour. "Vertigo" will be the only HTDAAB staple and No Line won't have any regulars. Deeper cuts from albums like Pop and War will take their place.

RS will drool and proclaim it "Album of the 21st century" or something. Pitchfork will take a dump on it and award it 4.7/10. It will reference at least one animal of either the jungle or garden variety.

Your predictions are guaranteed to be accurate on all three counts.

U2 are part of that notorious Rolling Stone inner circle where they could shit onto microphones and get four stars (which is traditionally the highest score they give new albums). R.E.M. and Dylan and Springsteen are a few names that come to mind - automatic 4 stars or higher every time.

Oh wow the positivity here is almost too much. Good to hear the fans are really believing in U2. Sometimes I think some here only want a new album so they have something to bitch about. :|

1. Everyone will hate it after a few weeks.

2. 'x song is an old U2 song here rewrite!'

3. Complaints about Bono's song themes.

4. High praise from RS.

5. Weight/money related jokes about Paul Mc
I never noticed the last point, but everything else you've said rings as likely. I hope for the best, but U2 of the present is morally adrift, especially Bono. With the massive turmoil created by American politicians and their non-American lackeys abroad both politically (the wars, Obama's increasing breach of international norms, Edward Snowden and Bradley Manning) and economically (the Wall Street elites that caused the financial crash that we're suffering through to this day; the Occupy movement), U2 seems uninterested in confronting these issues, as the band would have in the '80s. U2 and especially Bono are too wed to the very criminals in Western capitals and on Wall Street that are getting away with literal murder to criticize them. Just more nonsense about Africa and criticizing human rights violations by America's enemies.

Musically, I see little hope of change, given that rubbish that was the Spider-Man musical or that awful Mandela tribute song.

Again, I hope for the best, but I fear the worst. That said, life's no fun without hope, so perhaps ignore my sentiments, as I'm more excited to get another "Rattle and Hum" or "Pop", let alone another "Achtung Baby."

Oh wow the positivity here is almost too much. Good to hear the fans are really believing in U2. Sometimes I think some here only want a new album so they have something to bitch about. :|
In all fairness, U2 did this to THE FANS. The last album I was super excited about was "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" because Bono said it was more like "Achtung Baby." Punk rock on Venus turned out to be that piece of trash "Vertigo."

I never noticed the last point, but everything else you've said rings as likely. I hope for the best, but U2 of the present is morally adrift, especially Bono. With the massive turmoil created by American politicians and their non-American lackeys abroad both politically (the wars, Obama's increasing breach of international norms, Edward Snowden and Bradley Manning) and economically (the Wall Street elites that caused the financial crash that we're suffering through to this day; the Occupy movement), U2 seems uninterested in confronting these issues, as the band would have in the '80s. U2 and especially Bono are too wed to the very criminals in Western capitals and on Wall Street that are getting away with literal murder to criticize them. Just more nonsense about Africa and criticizing human rights violations by America's enemies.

Musically, I see little hope of change, given that rubbish that was the Spider-Man musical or that awful Mandela tribute song.

Again, I hope for the best, but I fear the worst. That said, life's no fun without hope, so perhaps ignore my sentiments, as I'm more excited to get another "Rattle and Hum" or "Pop", let alone another "Achtung Baby."

Wed to? Seriously?

When humans become adults they realise that those with differing opinions / motives are not inherently evil, and they work WITH them to improve outcomes. An activist in a room with a high ranking politician achieves more in half an hour than most smelly hippy activists do in their lives because no one takes them seriously, and they have no power.
W

Yo what up Debbie... You live in this revisionist fantasy bubble, Bono didn't really attack these issues in the 80s; he wrote Bullet, would say something about Reagan or Thatcher on stage, but Snowden nor I occupy would have ever shown up in his music.

Without a judgment on its quality, this is what a lot of early reviews said about Unknown Caller.

Well, my favorite (by a couple miles) Edge solo is from LIB so this is what I'm thinking of...While I doubt he will ever reach that dizzying height again, I sure hope he can top the solo in Unknown Caller.

The album won't come out until spring 2015. But that isn't such a bad thing as The Edge really has found a spark of creativity that he hasn't felt since the early 90's. The band is continuing without Mr. Mouse and is recording an album on their own. This album will be part of a four album box set released next spring and includes the Dangermouse album plus reggae based and bsides collections for 48 new tracks in all. The tour will start this summer and many of the new tracks will be heard even before the box set comes out. :drool:

Prediction.

For about a week everyone will go bat shit crazy over how great it is.

Then reality will set in, and there will be some criticism of the album... Some of it warranted, some of it pure and blatant trolling by the most usual of usual suspects, who's arguments will revolve around Radiohead, Rush, Coldplay and Battlestar Galactica.

This will be followed up by having arguments that can not be won by either side, as they are based solely on opinions, therefore making both sides of the argument right and wrong at the same time. This may or may not lead to somebody calling someone's church.

Eventually someone will freak the fuck out that we're too negative and that bono thinks we're terrible people, before running back to BAGEL to read fan fiction, never to be seen in any other part of these forums until the next new album speculation thread.

End prediction.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

Prediction.

For about a week everyone will go bat shit crazy over how great it is.

Then reality will set in, and there will be some criticism of the album... Some of it warranted, some of it pure and blatant trolling by the most usual of usual suspects, who's arguments will revolve around Radiohead, Rush, Coldplay and Battlestar Galactica.

This will be followed up by having arguments that can not be won by either side, as they are based solely on opinions, therefore making both sides of the argument right and wrong at the same time. This may or may not lead to somebody calling someone's church.

Eventually someone will freak the fuck out that we're too negative and that bono thinks we're terrible people, before running back to BAGEL to read fan fiction, never to be seen in any other part of these forums until the next new album speculation thread.

End prediction.

Sent from my android cause iphones are for old people

:love: Donkey Punch will be amazing.

There's a confirmed rumor that Paul McG sat down with the boys for one last talk before leaving, a big one...it appears he was really serious, almost angry, and with a glass of scotch in his hand he delivered his last piece of wisdom to help the guys conquer the world again...
The reports say his actual words were: "You wanna be the biggest band in the world again? Put those cryin babys of coldplay in their place? Recapture the spark? Have Naomi and the big girls at your feet like in the 90's? Get back on drugs. Right the fuck now. You bored me to tears for the last decade...fuckin rehabs they ruined you! Ruined you ya hear me?!! Bunch of pussys with your fuckin black and white photos again and again and again..."
After this his assistant helped him get up, seems he was really drunk and with tears in his eyes...as he was leaving someone reported he was mumbling to himself "donkey punch...last chance... fr hits...hits...hits."

:reject:

It will be an album that is deemed "not dark enough" (and possibly "lacking variations in the sonic soundscape") by Interference, while regaining U2's status as biggest band in the world.
Dangermouse will be notified he will produce the next U2 album too.
Tour as always will be a great success.

There's a confirmed rumor that Paul McG sat down with the boys for one last talk before leaving, a big one...it appears he was really serious, almost angry, and with a glass of scotch in his hand he delivered his last piece of wisdom to help the guys conquer the world again...
The reports say his actual words were: "You wanna be the biggest band in the world again? Put those cryin babys of coldplay in their place? Recapture the spark? Have Naomi and the big girls at your feet like in the 90's? Get back on drugs. Right the fuck now. You bored me to tears for the last decade...fuckin rehabs they ruined you! Ruined you ya hear me?!! Bunch of pussys with your fuckin black and white photos again and again and again..."
After this his assistant helped him get up, seems he was really drunk and with tears in his eyes...as he was leaving someone reported he was mumbling to himself "donkey punch...last chance... fr hits...hits...hits."

that was Rob Ford, not McGuinness..

Back
Top Bottom