Predict the singles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They won't use it but the Troubles is the most modern sounding track on the album.

it also has the best hook.

Every Breaking Wave
California
Song for Someone
Raised by Wolves
The Troubles

Heck, they could release a load of these to be fair.

Every Breaking Wave
California
Song for Someone
Raised by Wolves
The Troubles

Heck, they could release a load of these to be fair.

It is a very single-worthy album it seems

I think Every Breaking Wave has the potential to become a big hit.

But The Troubles has Lykke Li's name attached to it, and may garner more early publicity. Which is fine, as it is a remarkable song as well.

Every Breaking Wave hands down!! Could be their biggest hit since Beautiful Day. Volcano probably second.

Still hoping theirs a darker sadder version in the works though.

Agreed that EBW needs to be the next single. After that, take your pick. Even though California is not one of my favorite songs on the album, it's catchy. Volcano would be cool but I don't see it having a ton of success.

A dark horse here could be Sleep Like A Baby Tonight. Maybe it could be featured in a movie soundtrack or something.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I think the next single will be California. I'm surprised it wasn't the first!

According to this WSJ article The Miracle is the first single which is a bit disappointing
U2, Apple and the Deal Behind Getting ‘Songs of Innocence’ Free of Charge - Speakeasy - WSJ

As part of the deal forged by the band, manager Guy Oseary (hired by U2 last year to replace longtime manager Paul McGuinness) and Universal, Apple also made plans to use the first single from the album, “The Miracle (of Joey Ramone),” as a central element of a global, 30-day television advertising campaign for its new iPhones and Apple Watch. The campaign is believed to be worth around $100 million, according to a person familiar with the talks.

After The Miracle the possibilities are many:

Every breaking wave
This is where you can reach me now
The Troubles
Song for someone (adult contemporary catnip)
Volcano

No way in hell will California be a single unless they want to lose fans.

Every Breaking Wave will surely be a single at some stage. Beyond that, I'm unsure for now.

According to this WSJ article The Miracle is the first single which is a bit disappointing
U2, Apple and the Deal Behind Getting ‘Songs of Innocence’ Free of Charge - Speakeasy - WSJ

As part of the deal forged by the band, manager Guy Oseary (hired by U2 last year to replace longtime manager Paul McGuinness) and Universal, Apple also made plans to use the first single from the album, “The Miracle (of Joey Ramone),” as a central element of a global, 30-day television advertising campaign for its new iPhones and Apple Watch. The campaign is believed to be worth around $100 million, according to a person familiar with the talks.

It's an easily marketable song. EBW wouldn't be good for a commercial. I really like The Miracle and I think it's a really good first single.

I think that The Miracle was a decent choice for lead single. EBW should follow. And then they should stop releasing singles.

Every Breaking Wave and California will be #2 and #3 in either order. Neither will be a big enough hit to warrant the label throwing out a fourth (especially if another album is imminent). Nothing else on the record is as radio friendly as those two tracks.

No way in hell will California be a single unless they want to lose fans.

And what song is more radio friendly than it? It's not like U2 is going to get much play here in the States outside of the Triple A format and even they aren't going to be excited about playing "Volcano"...

"Crazy Tonight" was mostly loathed around here right away, yet it was released as a single and was the only track to make a key Best Songs of The Year list outside of Rolling Stone's NLOTH wankfest (PopMatter's Best Songs of 2009)...on top of that, it energized the audience when they performed it normally on Letterman and arguably could have been the best received 360 track in concert by those that aren't hardcore fans.

The needs, likes and wants of diehards on Interference and people that aren't as interested in U2 are completely different. California is more attention grabbing and up the alley for casuals and radio listeners than anything else here. And with the singles, the band is going to try to bring more people into the flock, not appease the sheep they already have.

Every breaking wave - Hello, we're back!!!!
This is where you can reach me now - What's that you say?? Same old, same old, I Don't Think so!!
Volcano - ummmm Vol..Ca...NOOO

I'm not hearing a lot of singles on this album, sorry, but that was also the situation with NLOTH.

Nonetheless, the first single is obviously Miracle as it's being used to promote the album on iTunes. I also feel it is the most catchy and rocking tune on the album. The Ramones tie-in is interesting - either it gives U2 "street cred" or kids will go "Who are the Ramones?" Hopefully, the smart ones will find out.

The second, and perhaps best song to be a single, is Every Breaking Wave. This song is the ballad that U2 have been wanting to make since 2000 (arguably MOS is more of a blues piece). This song might finally break through for U2.

I hear a lot of love for Volcano, but I really can't stand that song right now. One of my least favorite ever. :sad: :reject:

So my third single would be The Troubles. Beautiful arrangement and Lykke Li's voice beautifully compliments yet off-sets Bono's. As much disdain I have for Volcano, I have love for The Troubles.

Those would be my three singles. If there is a fourth, it would be Song for Someone. It's vague enough lyrically, yet another powerful ballad.

After that, I feel the rest are strong to weak album tracks.

Back
Top Bottom