Possible extra Fez footage from Lanois on the way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Edge89

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I just read this on the website for Danny's new record label Red Floor Records.

Announcing the exclusive Goldtop Edition of Daniel Lanois' new film and cd!

This two disk set includes the cd and deluxe dvd with over an hour of extra footage, including alternate versions of songs from the film,and a 12 page booklet with photos and lyrics.

We have also chosen twelve 5 x 7 photographs and each set will include three, one signed by Daniel.
Also included is an exclusive 'Here Is What Is' debossed Moleskine Cahier Notebook (Daniel's personal favorite), and a classic little rock and roll button.

This deluxe package is only available here and will be limited to 3000 copies.
We will begin shipping on March 17th.

Source here

I can't wait to see this documentary even if we won't get more U2 footage through this release. Over an hour of footage could very well mean a runtime of 60:01 but the main film is about 90 minutes so that's still very much extra material. I think there's a small chance we will see something more from the Fez sessions, right?

I've been so excited since I first learned about his movie.

Last edited:
I bet we will see more, Lanois and U2 are tight, and I bet a lot of his inspiration comes form working with them. They probably would have been uncomfortable with him releasing too much in the official documentary, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're a little more lenient in bonus footage. I love the sounds coming out of Fez! I would love to hear more! So fingers crossed!

thewrathofsam said:
i never understood this. was that youtube footage the only footage of u2 in the documentary?

An Interference member went to the screening of the film at the Toronto Film Festival last september and recorded audio from the U2 parts of the film.

Shortly afterwards the official u2.com trailer appeared and the same parts where in it so I guess that is actually everything that includes U2 in the final movie.
I haven't seen the film myself so I can't say for certain, though.

That's why I was hoping this extra footage might include some more U2, and it's being released later this week if I understand correctly.

U2 are pretty well-known, in my opinion, for not releaving any works in progress on purpose before they have finished it. Therefore, Lanois said in an interview that he was very happy when U2 agreed to participate in the film and allowed him to use some footage from Morocco in his documentary.

Interesting but harsh review on barnes & noble's website:
http://music.barnesandnoble.com/Her.../e/634457197428/?cds2Pid=18835&linkid=1128015

I am probably more interested in watching this than having it as a cd, especially when I read the quote that the songs seem like an afterthought with the dialogue between Eno and Lanois. This seems more visually motivated than strictly creating an album. Still, should be a good watch.

I'm sorry to inform you that there will be no more U2 material than what we've seen already. I asked someone on the official Lanois message board who's got the extra DVD and this was the reply:

watched the DVD bonus footage. Their is no additonal U2 material. The additonal footage shows alterante takes of songs, and some recent live versions of songs that i happen to be present at, like Hamilton 2007 and Great Hall in Toronto September 2007.

Source: Daniel Lanois Official Message Board

The_Edge89 said:
I'm sorry to inform you that there will be no more U2 material than what we've seen already. I asked someone on the official Lanois message board who's got the extra DVD and this was the reply:

I've seen the DVD too and there's no more U2 footage, but it's definitely worth watching nonetheless. Eno's comments are extremely interesting (and at times hilarious - see the 'Chest of Drawers' speech), watching Lanois work with the mixing desk and in the studio is a treat, and listening to Brian Blade's drumming and watching how they put the songs together was really interesting. Not the greatest music documentary film I've ever seen - and the camera-work is at times really irritating - but certainly worth the watch if you've any interest in Lanois, his work, Eno, or the making of records.

The U2 footage is exactly as is in the U2.com trailer, nothing more, nothing less.

PookaMacP said:

I've seen the DVD too and there's no more U2 footage, but it's definitely worth watching nonetheless. Eno's comments are extremely interesting (and at times hilarious - see the 'Chest of Drawers' speech), watching Lanois work with the mixing desk and in the studio is a treat, and listening to Brian Blade's drumming and watching how they put the songs together was really interesting. Not the greatest music documentary film I've ever seen - and the camera-work is at times really irritating - but certainly worth the watch if you've any interest in Lanois, his work, Eno, or the making of records.

The U2 footage is exactly as is in the U2.com trailer, nothing more, nothing less.

Great, thanks for the information. I'm still going to watch it though if I can somehow get hold of a physical copy around here.

Back
Top Bottom