Pop Definitive Edition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravin30000

The Fly
I'm all for JT30, but it'll also be the 20th Anniversary of Pop. Not saying they have to do anything special, but wouldn't mind a super deluxe box set like Achtung. I noticed Trent Reznor is doing a "definitive" edition of his back catalogue in vinyl format, which basically fixing blemishes in old recordings. I think it would be great if the band did this for Pop and basically said, "This album is now finished." Thoughts?

Are you prepared to kill Larry, or at least fake his death for as long as it takes to persuade the rest of the band that it's OK to return to Pop?

Because that's probably your best chance of those recordings being revisited.

Hahah, I'm just hoping Edge can put together some of the single versions of tracks and remixes and a few final overdubs and call it a day! (Maybe not tell Larry until it's released...)

Shame not even Edge seems tremendously passionate about the album because I'd love to get some deluxe edition along the lines of the previous re-issues. But since the band's reissues have already skipped Rattle & Hum, I'm pretty pessimistic the album will be revisited.

Admittedly, my interest is more in outtakes and rarities than a "finished" Pop.

And yes, even if he doesn't have to be killed, Larry must be kept out of the loop at all times. :lol:

The Hong Kong mixes show that there's a great alternative version of the album waiting to be heard, but sod trying to "finish it". Pop's one of my favourite albums and I'm personally not interested in what 2017 U2 would do to it. Besides, it's arguably thanks to Pop that U2 are in the situation they're in right now with SOE. No real deadlines leading to far too much second guessing.

The time's passed to add anything to it, and they've changed a great deal since, it would just amount to sabotage at this stage. A whole album of Disappearing Acts and Wave Of Sorrows, only this time with good songs we already know that didn't need finishing. It was bad enough they did those new mixes 5 years later, let alone 20. :huh:

Everybody bags out the New Mixes, and for good reason with SATS and Discotheque, but I now find the original mix of Gone almost unlistenable. That shrieking jumbo jet guitar has such a more powerful presence in the New Mix.

I agree with you guys on new mixes. To me, it should only be mixes that were created between 96-98 or new remixes created from unused recorded tracks during that time period. A lot of the singles mixes are better and I think more representative of the band's vision than the album versions. I haven't heard the Hong Kong mixes, I'll need to check them out!

Haha oh christ just remembered the video of Dallas Schoo testing the edge's rig, playing that jumbo jet riff an octave too high and getting defensive when someone rightly calls it bagpipes from hell. :lol:

Shame not even Edge seems tremendously passionate about the album because I'd love to get some deluxe edition along the lines of the previous re-issues. But since the band's reissues have already skipped Rattle & Hum, I'm pretty pessimistic the album will be revisited.

Admittedly, my interest is more in outtakes and rarities than a "finished" Pop.

me too. would love to hear the rumored trip-hop mixes that complemented the final mixes.
all we got are the two Holy Joe versions

and yes, those Hong Kong mixes are a must

also, somewhat related. this is a cool soundcheck jam

It's still one of my favourite U2 albums and I'd love to get a release of early mixes, demos, out-takes etc but it'll never happen.

Speaking of that performance, I've been trying to hunt down the post-press conference interview with Kurt Loder for ages. Used to have it recorded on a VHS but can't find it anywhere.

The best part is when they come back from a commercial and Bono is singing the chorus to "No Diggity".

Staring at the Sun acoustic was fine (and should've been part of I+e)

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

SATS electric on e stage would be incredible.

I may be one of the few people who enjoy the Vegas POPMART bootleg better than the polished stuff later.

:up: I also think it was just a problem of not rehearsing the songs. That show, if well rehearsed and well put up could've been great, maybe better than what it turned to be like by the end.

Everybody bags out the New Mixes, and for good reason with SATS and Discotheque, but I now find the original mix of Gone almost unlistenable. That shrieking jumbo jet guitar has such a more powerful presence in the New Mix.

Totally agree re: Gone. People rave about Bono's vocal on the original, but in the first place I've never been sure what's so much better about it, and secondly the new mix works so much better as a song.

They're never likely to do this, I realize, but one thing I've long wondered, given how much more the Pop songs came to life on stage, is whether they'd benefit from doing something like R.E.M. did in 2007 and playing a series of live rehearsals of new songs.

Generally agree on new mixes, they're good for something different, but mostly can't compare to the original. New Gone is the exception, it sounds so much more complete and assured of itself.

I'm trying to think of a new mix which doesn't have new vocals.

Back
Top Bottom