Pop Definitive Edition?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Original version is way better than the new mix. New mix is less emotional in comparison to the original one, but that's taste I guess... The original version is even one of my all time u2 favorits..

Disc One: Pop

Disc Two: B-sides, selected remixes. Resequenced, of course.
1. Discotheque (hexidecimal mix)
2. Holy Joe (garage mix)
3. Holy Joe (guilty mix)
4. North and South of the River
5. Last Night on Earth (single version)
6. Pop Muzik
7. Happiness is a Warm Gun
8. I'm Not Your Baby (skysplitter dub)
9. I'm Not Your Baby (original)
10. If God Will Send His Angels (single mix)
11. Two Shots of Happy
12. Slow Dancing
13. Mofo (mother's milk mix)
14. Please (single mix)
15. Staring at the Sun (sad bastards mix)

3. Outtakes and alternate versions.

No new recordings or retouched versions ffs. Their approach to music is completely different now and they'd probably remove most of what makes this album good.

I'd actually love to hear a Kindergarten mix of Pop. Those songs sound like they wildly changed over the recording sessions.

The Hong Kong mixes show that there's a great alternative version of the album waiting to be heard, but sod trying to "finish it". Pop's one of my favourite albums and I'm personally not interested in what 2017 U2 would do to it. Besides, it's arguably thanks to Pop that U2 are in the situation they're in right now with SOE. No real deadlines leading to far too much second guessing.

The time's passed to add anything to it, and they've changed a great deal since, it would just amount to sabotage at this stage. A whole album of Disappearing Acts and Wave Of Sorrows, only this time with good songs we already know that didn't need finishing. It was bad enough they did those new mixes 5 years later, let alone 20. :huh:

My belief on POP is the album would have been a great success if they would have led with SATS, then Gone, then IGWSHA, then fuck it up a little with MOFO, Disco, and back to Please. They never gave it a chance. Oh I forget there was also DYFL and LNOE on that album. What a crap album...tongue firmly planted in cheek.

SATS wasn't a great single, otherwise they wouldn't have remixed it or shelved the full band electrified version on tour. I used to think the production was the main problem but in the end it was an album/ sound that came a year too late and didn't match up with the trends of the era. Not to mention U2 seemed to be riding the coat tails of the techno wave led by the Chemical Brothers and the Prodigy.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

My belief on POP is the album would have been a great success if they would have led with SATS, then Gone, then IGWSHA, then fuck it up a little with MOFO, Disco, and back to Please. They never gave it a chance. Oh I forget there was also DYFL and LNOE on that album. What a crap album...tongue firmly planted in cheek.

I think that Do You Feel Loved and Gone should have been the first and second singles. The order really wouldn't have mattered.
Make a really solid video for it (No Village People), skip the Kmart promo, And I think that POP would have been embraced wholeheartedly, and the band moving forward would have been much different...

I think SATS would have been a great 3rd, and Please 4th.

I went back and listened to the album last week, and IGWSHA just does not stand the test of time like most of the rest of the album in my opinion.

Original version is way better than the new mix. New mix is less emotional in comparison to the original one, but that's taste I guess... The original version is even one of my all time u2 favorits..

I agree. There is an emotion that's captured in the album version that is lost in the new mix. One of my faves as well. Reminds me of the emotion captured on Kite. Hard to improve on that.

They probably chose Discotheque because it sounded more like Achtung Baby than the rest of the album (the first time I heard it I wasn't impressed and thought it sounded like the Fly). Also, a band called Republica had a hit the previous autumn with a similar song called Ready To Go.

Anyway, it's a great song! Do You Feel Loved would have made a great first single though. It's one of their catchiest and most underrated songs.

Back
Top Bottom