Plans for the new song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It will give music pirates something to consider. Instead of stealing from multi-millionaires, they will be stealing medicine from the sick........

This sounds like a distribution model. As such, it's just like iTunes, Rhapsody, or whatever, just with a socially-conscious mentality behind it. Not sure what the big deal is.

I think it's sad that we're experiencing "Africa fatigue." There are some things that run the risk of over-exposure -- certain bands, certain politicians, Britney Spears. Millions of people dying on a regular basis, due to health problems that can be avoided with literally a dollar a day, isn't one of them.

Am I buggin you?
I don't mean to bug ya'

That's the line I think of when people say "I really appreciate Bono and all and really respect him but like he talks a lot and like it can be annoying."

To me it makes me think that everything he says is going right over some people's heads.

I'll listen to songs about people in need but I'm not going to like do anything about it.

We like need to figure out real problems like how I'm going to like get your music for free.
Cuz like I'm not going to pay for it bc it should be free bc like it's modern times and paying is like so not cool and it makes you look greedy.
Like Oh My God.

Edge, Play the blues!

I think it's sad that we're experiencing "Africa fatigue." There are some things that run the risk of over-exposure -- certain bands, certain politicians, Britney Spears. Millions of people dying on a regular basis, due to health problems that can be avoided with literally a dollar a day, isn't one of them.

i agree. I think it's awesome that Bono continues to push this issue any way he can. he's saving lives. that's why I never understood people hating on him for it.

I think this service is a cool idea, but like others I'm hoping the songs are DRM-free, cuz if it's like the Zune stuff where you have to keep subscribing or else you lose the songs, count me out. However, give me three songs a week that I get to keep and I'll at least try it for a month. It'd be great if they got some really cool not yet exposed bands on there. i love discovering new music :up:

I'll listen to songs about people in need but I'm not going to like do anything about it.

We like need to figure out real problems like how I'm going to like get your music for free.
Cuz like I'm not going to pay for it bc it should be free bc like it's modern times and paying is like so not cool and it makes you look greedy.
Like Oh My God.

Edge, Play the blues!

:lmao:

so, so very true. thank you.

BUT

MAYB IF BONO WASNT SO GREEDY

HE CUD GIV DA SONGZ 2 AFRICKA 4 FREEEE

JUSY LIEKRADIOHEDD!1111 I LUV RADIOED/////DID U HERE BONO LIEKS THEM 2 NUT PAUL MCGINE$$ DUZNT OMG

who give a flying fuck if people are tired of bono talking about africa? he's doing a good thing. and if people bag on u2 because of bono's charity work, good riddance. if you can't see beyond the headlines and the hype and recognize the quality music u2 makes you don't deserve to hear it.

I don't mind as long as it's available everywhere worldwide at the same time, so not first in america and then in europe etc.

Equal for everyone please.

BTW, there's another thing that should be put straight considering U2's changing marketing schemes.
I assume that a great portion of the people on this forum are Americans, if not the majority, and I can definitely understand the tiresome effect some of the band's marketing tricks have on you people, but you must understand that although US market might be U2's biggest, it's not the only one, there are dozens of other countries where U2 sells albums using different marketing methods, sometimes more traditional, sometimes novel but different.

I for example live in Israel, I never saw the band's "infamous" iPod commercial on TV here, although iPods were already extremely popular around here at that time, I did see occasionaly a dark silhouette of Bono on an iVideo screen included in the graphics of some local sites selling apple merchandise, but have I never saw the OOTS live video on youtube or read about it on fan sites, I'd hardly recognize that that is Bono, and never notice the strong U2-Apple affiliation seemingly bothering so many US-based U2 fans. the same goes about RED, the ONE campaign and other marketing ventures and campaigns in which Bono and U2 are engaged.

When you criticize business steps done by the band as fatal to their future or identity, just remember that with all the importance of the US market, the effect on fans in Hungary, Greece, Russia, Bosnja, Turkey, Serbia, Romania, Israel, India, Japan or any place other than the US or the UK might not be that crucial and image-altering.

I'm just scared the song will be released in crappy 128kbps like iTunes. I hate low quality music. It's almost not worth listening to.

If their new material can be distributed easier, to more people, and for a better cause...why not?!?

What I don't think some of you are realizing is that this is just one of the ways the album will be distributed. Obviously there will still be a physical release.

What's going on with this service? I was looking forward to hearing new U2 stuff all the details about it by now.

I signed up for the newsletter and September is almost over, still haven't heard anything. Do you think there's a connection between the 2009 release of U2's new album and the non-existent information about the new Product (RED) music store?:doh:
Will we hear something this week at all?

it may be sad, pathetic, unethical, a horror, the worst thing... EVER, blah blah blah.

yes, this may be true... but what is also true is that at a time when people's life savings are evaporating in one hour on wall street, they don't neccesarily want to hear about how they should be giving more money to someone else... so bono might have to be careful how he words things this time around. not stop doing what he's doing, just know that people who's entire retirement fund just went up in a poof of smoke aren't really going to be too sympathetic to a multi-millionaire who they just paid $100 bucks to see telling them that they need to give their money to someone else.

that may be selfish, that may be pathetic, but it's also true.

I think this initiative by (RED) is an excellent idea - it'll give subscribers new music, plus the opportunity to discover bands they may not have heard before.

Those of you who think Bono should stop talking about Africa / doing charity work, why not try doing this: fast completely from all food for six and a half days a week, and medicine for a year. Then, and only then, can you even dare to think of trivialising the problems of Africa and claiming that the music is more important. It's not.

I don't mind the charity part as much as I mind the distribution method. I can only hope it's in some mp3 format, and not some wma licensed restricted nonsense. However, given that U2 has had ties with Apple and the iPod in the past, I am pretty sure they would want to maintain that and allow their files and songs to be played on an iPod, meaning it would have to be an mp3.

I don't mind the charity part as much as I mind the distribution method. I can only hope it's in some mp3 format, and not some wma licensed restricted nonsense. However, given that U2 has had ties with Apple and the iPod in the past, I am pretty sure they would want to maintain that and allow their files and songs to be played on an iPod, meaning it would have to be an mp3.

The press release said that it'd be an unprotected mp3 from what I recall.

And people were sympathetic to the millionaire on the last two tours already.

who give a flying fuck if people are tired of bono talking about africa? he's doing a good thing. and if people bag on u2 because of bono's charity work, good riddance. if you can't see beyond the headlines and the hype and recognize the quality music u2 makes you don't deserve to hear it.

Those of you who think Bono should stop talking about Africa / doing charity work, why not try doing this: fast completely from all food for six and a half days a week, and medicine for a year. Then, and only then, can you even dare to think of trivialising the problems of Africa and claiming that the music is more important. It's not.

:up: :up: :up:

I'm sorry, but the plight of Wall Streeter's agonizing over losing their retirement funds whilst still plunking down money for a U2 concert/music is just simply laughable (sorry if I misunderstood you Headache). If they don't like the message, let them stay away. Or listen to another band. U2 shouldn't waver in their approach because of any notion of risk of those types tuning out, imo.

The songs will be out "later this year"? Wow, maybe the band will get their shit together and release the album before Obama's second term.

it may be sad, pathetic, unethical, a horror, the worst thing... EVER, blah blah blah.

yes, this may be true... but what is also true is that at a time when people's life savings are evaporating in one hour on wall street, they don't neccesarily want to hear about how they should be giving more money to someone else... so bono might have to be careful how he words things this time around. not stop doing what he's doing, just know that people who's entire retirement fund just went up in a poof of smoke aren't really going to be too sympathetic to a multi-millionaire who they just paid $100 bucks to see telling them that they need to give their money to someone else.

that may be selfish, that may be pathetic, but it's also true.

:yes:

For a lot of people in America, seeing U2 will be one of the few expensive events they go to all year. So being told at that concert that you should give your money to others will leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. Americans would love to help people around the world but they have to get by themselves.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom