Overproduction worries? [discuss]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

walkon274

The Fly
The other night, as I began ramping up for the final few weeks before the new album, I began listening more to the boys. As I was listening to "Native Son", the alt. version of "All Because of You", "Mercy", I began thinkin, wow, this stuff was what they should have released on HTDAAB. There is such a rawness there. It sounds spontaneous, honest, in your face.

It seems like, since POP, they have been so worried about the public's reception, they've become contrived in their production of songs. Almost like they write these rock songs, but then spend two years figuring out how they can turn it into the most commercial-sounding, ear-catchy pop-tune. This isn't always bad, but I think their recent stuff comes off as contrived, or poppy. For example, GYOB sounds way too "planned" in my opinion.

From the 30 second clips vs. the beach clips (I know we're not working with much) has anyone noticed the same sort of changes from "Native Son" to "Vertigo"? Is anyone also worried about overproduction?

you can't hear the production on the beach clips.

I think the production on the 30 sec clips sounds beautiful, as much as you can judge from so little. It's definitely not bare bones, but it's got that Eno atmosphere that most U2 fans seem to love. I think production wise it'll be a lot better than HTDAAB.

The other night, as I began ramping up for the final few weeks before the new album, I began listening more to the boys. As I was listening to "Native Son", the alt. version of "All Because of You", "Mercy", I began thinkin, wow, this stuff was what they should have released on HTDAAB. There is such a rawness there. It sounds spontaneous, honest, in your face.

It seems like, since POP, they have been so worried about the public's reception, they've become contrived in their production of songs. Almost like they write these rock songs, but then spend two years figuring out how they can turn it into the most commercial-sounding, ear-catchy pop-tune. This isn't always bad, but I think their recent stuff comes off as contrived, or poppy. For example, GYOB sounds way too "planned" in my opinion.

From the 30 second clips vs. the beach clips (I know we're not working with much) has anyone noticed the same sort of changes from "Native Son" to "Vertigo"? Is anyone also worried about overproduction?

Jeezus creeping creepers. It's not bad enough that we have to hear endless negativity about the new album. Now we're going to rehash the HTDAAB arguments that we've been discussing for 4 fracking years. :doh::doh::doh:

you can't hear the production on the beach clips.

Thank you, I'm tired of reading these folks that are comparing production quality between the beach clips and what we have so far, it's laughable.

Another thing, let's get one thing straight, there's no such thing as "over production", there's good and bad production but not over production.

To me from what I've heard to so far, it's better produced than the last two albums, but it's still not exactly they way I would have wanted it produced. But that's just based on Boots and 22 second clips.

Ask me again in a couple of weeks.

I agree that "Boots" sounds way too planned or forced. However, as far as actual production goes, the clips sound pretty good to me. One thing I hope they don't do is increase the overall volume of a song like they did with "boots" and I don't mean the entire song.

Did anyone else notice that very last guitar part that comes in towards the very end is a lot louder than the rest of the song? It's almost like they did it for some kind of effect, to try and make the song have more impact.

I agree that "Boots" sounds way too planned or forced. However, as far as actual production goes, the clips sound pretty good to me. One thing I hope they don't do is increase the overall volume of a song like they did with "boots" and I don't mean the entire song.

Did anyone else notice that very last guitar part that comes in towards the very end is a lot louder than the rest of the song? It's almost like they did it for some kind of effect, to try and make the song have more impact.

I like how the guitar is a bit louder during the final riff.

I've never been a bit fan of the alt versions on the HTDAAB tracks. "I've never wanted to own one...its so hard for a native son to be free..." Man, people would have HATED this song if it had been the one that made it to the album. Talk about preachy! LOL! :) I prefer the album versions, even if there were some good elements in some of these alt tracks...

Native Son doesn't have the kick that Vertigo does. I don't think it would have been as successful. the only superior part of it is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

They sound like they’re an improvement. Still loud and perhaps a little too slick, but definitely an improvement.

I thought ATYCLB was well produced and that HTDAAB deserves as much production-slamming as Pop gets. I’d be happy if it’s just as good as ATYCLB, to be honest (and I think GOYB is at least at that standard). Anything better than that will be outstanding, and with some subtle, ‘in the detail’ Eno songs on there, it’s begging for a better job.

You kinda want to work for it a little, but once you find it, it’s crystal clear. Does that make sense? On Pop you had to work for it, and once you found it, it was pretty muddy and/or muddled. On HTDAAB, there was nothing to work for, it was just a constant searing pain in your middle ear.

I think ‘over cooking’ is a better term than ‘over producing’.

not to be pedantic, but why do people keep referring to "22 second" clips...aren't they 30 seconds long?

The bridge between the two parts of Fez - Being Born didn't sound like something that was overproduced, it's the kind of thing that I quite like, a little rough round the edges.

As much i'm not Boots biggest fan i don't think is forced or planned. It's the least commercial of the last three first singles. And thankfully it has that refreshening sound, its inovative and traditional at the same time.

Jeezus creeping creepers. It's not bad enough that we have to hear endless negativity about the new album. Now we're going to rehash the HTDAAB arguments that we've been discussing for 4 fracking years. :doh::doh::doh:

Just wait for the album mastering's complaint: "this is too damn loud - brickwalled".... and we're still about 15 days till the real thing...

i'm more worried about the "these dayyyyyyyys" part on breathe sounding kinda out of tune.

It did to me initially, I think I actually winced when I first heard it, but it either doesn’t sound that way to me now or it just seems to fit. I’m not sure. It might kinda cool, a little off centre here and there during what is meant to come across as a bit of a raving stream of thought rant.

Honestly, I’m mostly :huh: about the lyrics to White as Snow. It almost sounds like a bit of a parody, especially mixed with that title. Bono, you came from a place where the land was flat and the highway was straight and wide? That’s awesome. Would you per chance be referring to a common metropolitan area? I don’t know, it’s a bit too tricky dicky artistic a description for me. Do we get a follow up about where you moved to in France, where the sea is wet and the mountain is tall? Or the view from your place in New York, where the sky is big but the people very, very little? I do hope that lyric is going somewhere…

Stolen October lyrics > Actual October lyrics
Joshua Tree Bonus Disc > Joshua Tree
Axtung Beibi Outtakes > Achtung Baby
Discotheque Demo version > Discotheque single
Wake Up Dead Man Demo > Wake Up Dead Man album version
Sweetest Thing B-Side > Sweetest Thing Single
Always > Beautiful Day
Elevation Album version > Elevation Tomb Raider Mix
Electrical Storm BBC version > Electrical Storm Band version > Electrical Storm Orbit Mix
Native Son > Vertigo
All Because of You Beach Clip > All Because of You Album version
Window in the Skies Beach Clip > Window in the Skies single
Breathe Beach Clip > Breathe 30 second Walmart Clip

Did I nail all of the arguments? :wink:

It did to me initially, I think I actually winced when I first heard it, but it either doesn’t sound that way to me now or it just seems to fit. I’m not sure. It might kinda cool, a little off centre here and there during what is meant to come across as a bit of a raving stream of thought rant.

Honestly, I’m mostly :huh: about the lyrics to White as Snow. It almost sounds like a bit of a parody, especially mixed with that title. Bono, you came from a place where the land was flat and the highway was straight and wide? That’s awesome. Would you per chance be referring to a common metropolitan area? I don’t know, it’s a bit too tricky dicky artistic a description for me. Do we get a follow up about where you moved to in France, where the sea is wet and the mountain is tall? Or the view from your place in New York, where the sky is big but the people very, very little? I do hope that lyric is going somewhere…

Well, I think one thing you'll have to keep in mind is that these songs aren't necessarily about Bono, but about imaginary characters. White as Snow is about a soldier in Afghanistan, correct?

As much as I think HTDAAB was a bit of a let down...I find it incredibly hard to believe that any of the earlier versions of the songs that eventually made the album (Native Son, ABOY, Yahweh, etc.) are better than the final versions in any way shape or form. I think the band knew exactly what they were doing when they changed those songs.

Discotheque Demo version > Discotheque single
Wake Up Dead Man Demo > Wake Up Dead Man album version

:ohmy: i haven't heard these...are they worth it? I love Pop more than anything ever.

:lol: I don't mind the lyrics, they kinda remind me of JT actually, evoking a wide open space...it fits the music imo. but your comment made me laugh :up:

good point Fullonedge

I agree, PowerSurge. Every now and then I enjoy listening to those alternate versions out of sheer novelty, and in some ways I even like the alternate Yahweh better than the album Yahweh. However, can you imagine the backlash the band would have gotten had the original versions of those songs been released on the album?

I would have had to agree with Larry and Adam that they just weren't very good :ohmy: Interesting, yes, but little to no lasting power.

I agree, PowerSurge. Every now and then I enjoy listening to those alternate versions out of sheer novelty, and in some ways I even like the alternate Yahweh better than the album Yahweh. However, can you imagine the backlash the band would have gotten had the original versions of those songs been released on the album?

I would have had to agree with Larry and Adam that they just weren't very good :ohmy: Interesting, yes, but little to no lasting power.

Don't get me wrong, I like to listen to those versions too. I just don't believe that they would have worked better on the album. The only song that I actually think would have worked was Xanax and Wine. Thats the ONLY song that I can't understand why it didn't make the album.

I actually tend to like the album versions of Bomb songs better than the demos. The main exception is Xanax and Wine, which I think is miles better than Fast Cars. Also, I think Native Son could have been a great song if they had messed with it a bit, but as it stands, Vertigo > Native Son demo. Yahweh... I actually really love the album version. ABOY's just weak songwriting altogether, IMO. Should have been replaced with Mercy, which I absolutely adore (excuse me while I run away from the flaming Interference masses).

I think we're jumping the gun a bit. The album isn't even leaked yet, and already people are talking about mistakes with production. Chill. :)

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that the production will be really screwy starting at 1:26 on Moment of Surrender. Mind you, I have no evidence to back this up... but the album will be terribly produced. The album is going to suck overall, actually. All I have for evidence is Boots, which, just like Vertigo, has bongos and electro-drums, and therefore sucks, and some totally unrepresentative 30 second clips. But the album will suck. Those lyrics that I can't hear on the beach clips are abhorrent. Just trust me. I've been a U2 fan since 1962 when I was stalking Edge's crib. I can't be wrong.

I'm not sure, but I have a feeling that the production will be really screwy starting at 1:26 on Moment of Surrender. Mind you, I have no evidence to back this up... but the album will be terribly produced. The album is going to suck overall, actually. All I have for evidence is Boots, which, just like Vertigo, has bongos and electro-drums, and therefore sucks, and some totally unrepresentative 30 second clips. But the album will suck. Those lyrics that I can't hear on the beach clips are abhorrent. Just trust me. I've been a U2 fan since 1962 when I was stalking Edge's crib. I can't be wrong.

n00b... :tsk:

I stalked Edge's mom...

Back
Top Bottom