Overproduction worries? [discuss] - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Where The Album Has A Name - Songs of Experience
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #46
eas
The Fly

Local Time: 06:00 AM
After hearing the WM clips I have some real worries:

-The album has a sound like a complex version of Bomb. It could be good, but it doesn't grab me. It is too shiny.

-I am not exited about Edge's new sound. The mix of chimes, echo, and forced-heavy sounding distortion is not coherent.

-Breathe is very troubling. I loved the beach clip. The WM clip sounds like the riff is doubled by an Enosynth which sounds like a cello, not liking it. It reminds me of the awful synth in Original of the Species which just about ruined that song.

-Most of all, Fez sounds ridiculous. I'm am hoping this is mildest part of the intro before the song kicks in. It sounds like a videogame.

-the "wicked" percussion sounds more like a Hookah lounge bar soundtrack.

There are several other things which are worrisome, but in general, my expectations have been knocked down several pegs by the WM clips, sorry to say.

eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 05:00 AM
im not too worried about overproduction here, the clips sound good and eno/lanois did a good job.

i'm more worried about u2 themselves...taking all that raw stuff they did in FEZ that sounded so good (beach clips, lanois documentary) and changing it to sound more HTDAAB-like.

RademR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #48
War Child

Local Time: 10:00 AM
They sound about as over-produced as Pop did and that's fine by me.

The thing is that U2 doesn't get over-produced. From the get go they have heavily relied on tech. Indie 4 track bands that rely on their garage appeal get over-produced. Not U2.
Achtung Ya'll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Wow; you mean it might sound closer to Bomb than we were led to believe?

Damn, I wish I predicted that 8 months ago.........
JOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #50
New Yorker

I am not even going to comment on how the album is and production and so on. It's just very dumb to do so when I only heard 30 second clips IE less then 10% of the total running time of the album. Just plain dumb to come to conclusions about anything don't you think?
dabiggestu2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #51
The Male

Local Time: 03:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
-Breathe is very troubling. I loved the beach clip. The WM clip sounds like the riff is doubled by an Enosynth which sounds like a cello, not liking it. It reminds me of the awful synth in Original of the Species which just about ruined that song.
It is a cello.

Now.
LemonMelon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:15 AM   #52
Refugee

Local Time: 11:00 AM
The Discotheque demo was an early radio rip from what i recall... It wasn't quite finished, so the version on Pop was slightly different.

Wake Up Dead Man on the AB outtakes wasn't the same song as the one that appeared on Pop, they used the title only. So it can;'t really be called a demo for the song that appeared on Pop.
chrissybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:24 AM   #53
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabiggestu2fan View Post
I am not even going to comment on how the album is and production and so on. It's just very dumb to do so when I only heard 30 second clips IE less then 10% of the total running time of the album. Just plain dumb to come to conclusions about anything don't you think?
yes.

you'd think that would be common sense.
PowerSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:30 AM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOFO View Post
Wow; you mean it might sound closer to Bomb than we were led to believe?

Damn, I wish I predicted that 8 months ago.........
Sorry but looks like you may be dissapointed (well am sure you will find something to moan about anyway), the reviews of 3 Aussie girls over on U2.com, who are fans and have actually heard the album, say the new one sounds NOTHING like the last 2, but am sure you will say it does no matter what.

btw U2.com seems to be in some sort of "changeover" at the min, or thats how it seems.
KUEFC09U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:55 AM   #55
Acrobat

Can I just say that from a psychological standpoint, the only reason people feel boots is the most out of place/worst/loudest/weakest/etc song of what theyve heard of the new album is because they've already heard it before. Had it been any of the other tracks, X track would be the most out of place/worst/loudest/weakest/etc and Boots would be herald as an amazing track that people can't wait to hear.

That's just how the brain works. It's rather amusing to watch it in action.
ZigZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:01 AM   #56
War Child

Local Time: 03:00 AM
It's a mixed bag. Vertigo was such a huge improvement from Native Son, but I would agreee that SYCMIOYO was a far superior song before they polished it. The version of OOTS that Bono and Edge sang live for Steve Jobs at the Apple event with just piano and vocals was absolutely gorgeous. The album arrives and the song is an absolute production MESS! Biggest U2 disappointment ever in my opinion. U2 has a "gift" for fiddling too much with a great song and just destroying it.

BUT...personally, I'm absolutely over the moon with what I've heard from this album. I think the melodies are nuanced, the production layered, but where Bomb was cluttered, this sounds dense. And where it should be sparse (Snow, Cedars) it is. That tells me they maybe learned their lesson from OOTS.
LPU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:11 AM   #57
Acrobat

At the beach, while recording the beachclips, it occured to me that the songs all sounded pretty "normal". Like, just drums, bass, guitar, vocals. Which actually made it kinda dull. It has always been U2's style to finetune things while producing.

U2 wouldn't sound like U2 when they didn't add cello's, weird sounds and all those different layers. So I really don't get all these "worries" that people have. Either you like, or you don't. And if you don't, there's always the live versions that will probably please you more then.
LarryMullenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 09:34 AM   #58
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMullenFan View Post
At the beach, while recording the beachclips, it occured to me that the songs all sounded pretty "normal". Like, just drums, bass, guitar, vocals. Which actually made it kinda dull. It has always been U2's style to finetune things while producing.

U2 wouldn't sound like U2 when they didn't add cello's, weird sounds and all those different layers. So I really don't get all these "worries" that people have. Either you like, or you don't. And if you don't, there's always the live versions that will probably please you more then.
very true.

Thats why I think its a disservice for the fans to hear anything but the final incarnation of a song. U2 are known for overhauling or completely dumping parts or entire songs at any time during the process of creating an album. Who are we to judge that an original part was better, or the first version was better? We don't know what sounds they were after....or what mood they were going for. I've never created a platinum selling album....why would I know more about the album process then them.
PowerSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:24 AM   #59
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUEFC09U2 View Post
Sorry but looks like you may be dissapointed (well am sure you will find something to moan about anyway), the reviews of 3 Aussie girls over on U2.com, who are fans and have actually heard the album, say the new one sounds NOTHING like the last 2, but am sure you will say it does no matter what.

No. you're mistaking me again. If it sounds like Bomb in terms of layering and production, etc. I'm fine with that. I don't have a problem with most of the production on Bomb; the only problem with that record I have is a couple of the tunes.
I think based on the WM clips there's going to be alot of great songs on this record. But, also based on those clips, it did seems to have the Bomb-like shine of layers and production.
I do agree we won't know for sure until the album is out.

However, I do concede that some people may hear it as a complete departure, while others may hear it as a continuum. Personally, I don't hear that much difference in production between POP and ATYCLB.
A little more stripped down? Yeah....a little. But not that much.
JOFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #60
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerSurge View Post
very true.

Thats why I think its a disservice for the fans to hear anything but the final incarnation of a song. U2 are known for overhauling or completely dumping parts or entire songs at any time during the process of creating an album. Who are we to judge that an original part was better, or the first version was better? We don't know what sounds they were after....or what mood they were going for. I've never created a platinum selling album....why would I know more about the album process then them.
I don't think its a disservice, but it's true that one must understand exactly what a "work in progress" is.

bram is offline   Reply With Quote