One thing you really wanna know about the new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another opinion written as fact or do you have a source?

there is nothing like drop kicks who never read anything and are so myopic that they need everything cross referenced till they die. If you read any of the stuff that happened at that time, you can easily reflect how the The Edge felt rejuvenated by the sessions. the The Edge said he kept all the tapes from the sessions. So if the The Edge's word isn't good enough for you then I don't know why you bother. The rest of the band felt that Rubin was not connecting with them and so while Rubin had other projects they moved on. Te Rubin sessions were a bit of hard love for the band, something the The Edge aspired through and Bono and the Rythm section didn't reach. Rubin did say "Come back, when your songs are finished!" That is not the way U2 works. They work it out in the studio. This is where Lanios is such a vital cog because he is the one who makes the choices or influences the choices. For all the negativity during the Rubin sessions, they actually came up with some good "work in progress" chords and rifts and these are the things the he Edge has used with Lanios to develop songs in the latter sessions. Did you ever see the special on how U2 made the Joshua tree and the amount of work that the The Edge had to do to chage Streets from a 4 4 beat to a 3 4 beat and to change it in the middle. He had a tiny casette on a casette recdorder and that became Streets, so that is how much work that "an idea" needs. It doesn't mean that ideas can't flow from particular sessions. the The Edge has acknowledged the Rubin sessions gave hm a lot of ideas to work with. Just nothing finished. You would make a great accountant. I bet you have the first cent you ever made.

In all fairness, what I think Rubin meant was for the band to get back to them when they had "WRITTEN great songs", not "written GREAT songs". I'm sure whatever they brought to him wasn't fully complete, and we all know Rubin wants to have things written in advance.

:yes: There was that Bono quote how, during the recording, Rubin wouldn't say anything, and it was "a very heavy silence"... guess Rubin+U2 was destined to be another Chris Thomas debacle so they wisely went back to Eno and Lanois.

there is nothing like drop kicks who never read anything and are so myopic that they need everything cross referenced till they die. If you read any of the stuff that happened at that time, you can easily reflect how the The Edge felt rejuvenated by the sessions. the The Edge said he kept all the tapes from the sessions. So if the The Edge's word isn't good enough for you then I don't know why you bother.

So it's just your opinion. Thanks mate.

I'm not sure what you are getting at with the "Edge kept all the tapes from the sessions". First of all I doubt they are using tapes these days(who knows maybe they're going retro), and secondly what else would they do? It's not like U2 is just going to toss them out with the trash, or just leave them there at the studio...

I've read somewhere that some time during the RR sessions they brought in another producer to stir things up a bit and RR didn't like that. It might have been Jacknife Lee but I'm not sure of that.

Back
Top Bottom