One thing you really wanna know about the new album?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How much guitar (with no distortion, effects, pedals) work did Bono and Adam contribute?

...qg

Are the lyrics brilliant? :pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray:

no seriously...this has turned into my biggest concern now...I'm reeeally hoping for a genius Bono this time....I know he has it in him...it's just a matter of how much he cares...please Bono...I'm fucking begging you

Are the lyrics brilliant? :pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray: :pray::pray:

no seriously...this has turned into my biggest concern now...I'm reeeally hoping for a genius Bono this time....I know he has it in him...it's just a matter of how much he cares...please Bono...I'm fucking begging you

There is actually a simple solution to fix this problem. When writing lyrics or poetry people often times go for the rhyme. Some poets and lyricists excel at rhyming but Bono's not one of them. A producer needs to tell him that he isn't allowed to rhyme. It will instantly improve Bono's lyrics.

There is actually a simple solution to fix this problem. When writing lyrics or poetry people often times go for the rhyme. Some poets and lyricists excel at rhyming but Bono's not one of them. A producer needs to tell him that he isn't allowed to rhyme. It will instantly improve Bono's lyrics.

well there's an art to rhyming, yes...I don't think Bono fails at every level though at all....it's just SOMETIMES he tries too hard to rhyme and the lyric loses meaning and specialness

I really think we'll get a different side to the band....just judging from the new beach clips...that angry singing in "Breathe" hasn't been heard for awhile now...and that actual type of singing is something new completely...along with this new side I think the lyrics will improve

I'd like to know what went down with Rick Reuben (spelling?) -- I'm in and out of this board (three kids 5 and under will do that to a guy) but I could swear they started working with Rick Reuben; and then bang, nothing.

Didn't they like his work? Was he hard to work with? Was it just too easy to go back to the tried and true of Lanois and Eno?

You mean Rick Rubin.

I don't think anyone here knows what happened. There was speculation that RR was too involved in other projects and didn't have much time to work with U2. I think they only had a couple of sessions together, after that RR was never heard of again in regards to U2. Only Edge mentioned in a recent interview that some of the work they did with him survived for the new album.

I think this is awesome news for a number of reasons:-

A new producer of sorts was exactly what the The Edge would need to extract a new type of sound out of him.

the The Edge obviously thinks the sounds are good enough to incorporate into new songs..

the The Edge only keeps the stuff he really thinks is good. Remember Streets…

the The Edge also tends to get his way in this Band.

There is no I in Band but there is a “This is the sound I want to play and I’m the The Edge” if you look hard enough.

Lanios would use what he heard from the RR sessions to show the patience necessary to extract a Streets type song onto the album.

Perhaps out of all the junk going around, this is the best piece of information I have heard.

Last Unicorn, Buddy!!!!!!!!!!! Now I amEXCITED!:applaud::applaud::applaud::up::up::up:

You mean Rick Rubin.

I don't think anyone here knows what happened. There was speculation that RR was too involved in other projects and didn't have much time to work with U2. I think they only had a couple of sessions together, after that RR was never heard of again in regards to U2. Only Edge mentioned in a recent interview that some of the work they did with him survived for the new album.

There was also speculation that the band at the time wasn't pleased with what came out of the sessions. So they didn't pursue working with him again. The key word being speculation of course. I believe it wasn't too long after that that Eno and Lanois came into the studio.

I personally suspect that was true but remember the band thought the same about the Berlin sessions but we all see they had some great stuff with the Salome Outtakes.

They recorded a few songs with Rubin in 2006 at Abbey Road (I believe McGuiness said 4 or 5 at the time), and so far WITS and Saints are the only ones that made it officially. Reportedly none of the Rubin stuff was even played to Eno and Lanois (even if some of it survived, apparently) and I remember reading Rubin's reaction upon listening to the music was "get back to me when you have written great songs".

Wow. I thought as a producer you are supposed to help make songs in whatever stage or quality into something great. I guess its just great producers that do that. :shrug:

In all fairness to Rubin, who is a great producer, he has a history of being a polarizing figure....either bands LOVE him or they HATE him.

Just ask the Black Crowes. I loved how they described their sessions with Rubin during their Behind the Music. He basically suggested that they call themselves the "Kobb Kounty Krows" or "KKK". Seriously, you can't make that up. They split shortly afterwards.

That being said, he has been involved in some pretty phenonemal projects in his career....though, I'm not sure how phenonemal his most recent stuff has been. He did produce the most recent Linkin Park record. I thought it was pretty decent.

In all fairness to Rubin, who is a great producer, he has a history of being a polarizing figure....either bands LOVE him or they HATE him.

the The Edge loved RR but the rest of the band didn't like him.

the The Edge left the recordings with RR with some pretty amazing tapes.

The fruit of which we will see on the next album.

In all fairness, what I think Rubin meant was for the band to get back to them when they had "WRITTEN great songs", not "written GREAT songs". I'm sure whatever they brought to him wasn't fully complete, and we all know Rubin wants to have things written in advance.

I think U2 changed what their goal was along the way. Rubin is good at straightening things out, bringing out clarity, and during their break, I think U2 decided that they wanted to go in a different direction with Eno and Lanois, a bit dirtier and not as clean. Remember the quote about WITS being the end of an era?

Back
Top Bottom