on Danger Mouse's production

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
from Danger Mouse, that dude.

The Daily Beast: CeeLo, what’s going on with the new Gnarls Barkley album?

CeeLo: I’ve got three Gnarls Barkley songs already done! Danger Mouse has been working with U2 for the past few years, so I don’t know how it’s going to sound. He did Broken Bells, Norah Jones, Black Keys, all these different projects. But the Gnarls Barkley I know, and the Gnarls Barkley people know and love, is all about the texture, samples, and headspace he was in. I’ve been trying to get him to divide his attention a little bit more!

Cee Lo promoting the upcoming Goodie Mob record on The Daily Beast today (Aug 13).

guessing the U2 record will be impacted by this headspace as well... loving the mystery of DM

I think it's funny that you dismiss an entire band because you think the lead singer doesn't have range.

Why is that funny? I dislike his voice. His range is part of his voice. I also dislike The Smiths because of Morrissey's voice.

It happens.

Seems pretty logical.

Not all singers need their own spaceship to offer a rewarding listening experience

So, you listen to records even though you don't like the singers voice?

It's funny how offended you guys get that someone doesn't agree with your opinions.

Hell yeah I love The Darkness. They're better than The National in every way.

I'll gladly wait for your freak out at that opinion.

Why is that funny? I dislike his voice. His range is part of his voice. I also dislike The Smiths because of Morrissey's voice.

It happens.

Seems pretty logical.
You didn't say you didn't like his voice, you just said you didn't think he had range. That was what I thought was funny. I mean, it's not funny now, I just disagree because The National is awesome.

More fish for Kunta.

Now you just sound like you are going out of your way to hate these guys.

Nope. No extra effort has been involved in my not liking them. Heard the records, didn't dig. Simply expressing that opinion.

You should get on subnet. He doesn't even think the dude is a good baritone. The nerve.

I love Matt Berninger's voice.

lol @ the Darkness being better than the National in "every way." There are these things called lyrics.

Perhaps The National should replace their poor singer and make the lyrics enjoyable to hear.

lol @ The National being better than The Darkness. There's this thing call sound waves.

Got great lyric and can't sing? Write a book of poetry.

Perhaps The National should replace their poor singer and make the lyrics enjoyable to hear.

lol @ The National being better than The Darkness. There's this thing call sound waves.

Got great lyric and can't sing? Write a book of poetry.

The flaw in this post comes in the first line: he's not a poor singer.

You're literally the only person in this thread/board who thinks that he is. Like, this isn't even a Bob Dylan/Neil Young type scenario where about half of his fans think he can't sing but it's OK.

The lyrics sound heavenly :love:

The flaw in this post comes in the first line: he's not a poor singer.

You're literally the only person in this thread/board who thinks that he is.

Well, that's not true.

It's hard for a baritone to sing soprano.

He's not even a good baritone.

I agree but I don't listen to opera

And going a step further, who cares about popular consensus?

Like what you like.

At the very least, Matt's voice fits his lyrics and the band's music quite well. At their best, the band can (in my opinion) create a sublime emotional atmosphere that I've never quite heard before, and Matt is integral to that in lyrics and vocals.

Well, that's not true.

Which isn't the same as "he can't sing," or even "he's poor at singing." Inexplicably, the context changed to that of opera and, yes, in that context, he does fall short as a vocalist. But, you know, this is rock music.

Like Digitize said, replacing Matt would be a horrible idea.

At the very least, Matt's voice fits his lyrics and the band's music quite well. At their best, the band can (in my opinion) create a sublime emotional atmosphere that I've never quite heard before, and Matt is integral to that in lyrics and vocals.

See, I can dig this.

No "Hahaha" or "I'm gonna make fun of a band you like cause you don't like a band I like."

Which isn't the same as "he can't sing," or even "he's poor at singing." Inexplicably, the context changed to that of opera and, yes, in that context, he does fall short as a vocalist. But, you know, this is rock music.

Like Digitize said, replacing Matt would be a horrible idea.

Sure it is. You're reaching.

I think replacing Matt would be a great idea. He's a poor singer in a serviceable band. Get rid of the weak link. He can still write the lyrics. Plenty of good bands have singers who don't write the lyrics.

I'd wait for subnet to respond, but I'm not sure why he/anyone would return to this thread.

Yeah. He might post something you disagree with, then you'll have to rag on him for liking something you don't enjoy.

Cause we're all 5 year old children.

I will admit that I have to get past Matt's voice to get into The National. But I do enjoy them. Not anywhere near my top bands list but I still enjoy them.

With that said, I don't think it's crazy for someone not to like them because of his voice. It was very difficult for me to listen to at first.

Yeah. He might post something you disagree with, then you'll have to rag on him for liking something you don't enjoy.

If I did, I think subnet would be just fine. Not all of us are as gifted at pursuing unnecessary arguments as yourself.

Cause we're all 5 year old children.

:lol: I like that you edited this into your post, as if this jab could have taken a person more than an instant to come up with. Seems like the sort of thing an adult would edit out anyway.

If I did, I think subnet would be just fine. Not all of us are as gifted at pursuing unnecessary arguments as yourself.

You see this as a one way street?

This is you, in proper 5 Y.O. terms.

Me: I don't like Oreos.

You: You like Nutter Butters. They suck and nobody cares what you think. Everyone like Oreos.

You see this as a one way street?

I don't post snarky photos with the assumption that I will shortly be derailing the thread with an inane page-long argument built entirely on subjectivity, no.

But once people start asking me questions, it is rude to ignore them.

Matt has a good grasp on lyrics and song structure, and vocal restrain. He doesn't sing through guitar riffs or through a song's bridge. Our favourite B man has been known to do that recently to the detriment of the song IMHO. Matt is like the Bono of 1987 with a deeper baritone.

So, you listen to records even though you don't like the singers voice?

It's funny how offended you guys get that someone doesn't agree with your opinions.

Hell yeah I love The Darkness. They're better than The National in every way.

I'll gladly wait for your freak out at that opinion.

I can't believe the shitty thoughts you think.

I don't post snarky photos with the assumption that I will shortly be derailing the thread with an inane page-long argument built entirely on subjectivity, no.

Well, that's not true. What did this add to anything, other than being a snide remark? Please point to the snarky photo I've posted in this thread.

Not all singers need their own spaceship to offer a rewarding listening experience

darkness-630x472.jpg

On another band, I was kinda like, "meh" to the sound of Joe Newman's singing. But I got over it and love Alt-J nonetheless.

And thanks for mention, makes me feel wanted.

Well, that's not true. What did this add to anything, other than being a snide remark?

That's exactly what it was, and what it was intended to be. A snide remark. Self-contained. It was a statement, asking no questions. No further discussion necessary. Snark does beg further comment, I realize, but I really didn't want to turn this into a discussion about The National, as that's what The National's thread is for.

As an aside, it makes me sad how often we disagree, as 95% of the songs you post, I actually really enjoy/have enjoyed for quite some time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom