Ok, it's been 48 hours.... / Post 48 hours Analysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My attempt:

NLOTH - Like it, its a mood setter. Thought the "No!" "Line!" part of NLOTH 2 wouldve added some more drama at the end, but I think they wanted to chill the ending out.

Magnificent - What a song. I bet an NBA team uses the beginning (pre-vocals) as background music during team intros. This song is a beast, it puts a hop in my step and will be even better live. This will rest comfortably alongside other U2 classics.

MOS - one of the few growers. Love it now. Reminds me of that Till The Well Runs Dry song that was posted on U2.com (Eno/Lanois/Edge) - its the kind of song that encourages sing-alongs at loud volume. Has amazing atmosphere. People expecting a radio-friendly song a la One will be disappointed.

Unknown Caller - still really like this song, but somehow it held a little more magic for me as a Beach Clip! The muffled sound actually did it some good - I almost liked that I couldn't make out all the lyrics-- made it all sound other-worldly. Still a solid song and love the solo at the end.

Crazy Tonight - Like this song. It's catchy, but the lyrics are somewhat irritating. Positive song and definitely adds to the album. I don't think this should be a 2nd single.

Get On Your Boots - Still in "like" phase with this song. Thought it would grow on me more than it has. I can appreciate the song, but am held back from really feeling anything.

SUC - My least favorite song on the album. Dont like the lyrics and don't like the Beatle-ish/Oasis-ish part of the song when Bono sings "C'mon you lucky people...". Wish he sang it in his own style. Also think this song couldve been so much more if they kept the larrystuff U2.com clip. For me this is the low point of NLOTH.

Fez - Wow, and after that low point comes this fantastic song. Try this one while driving at night on the interstate/highway. It is an amazing/cinematic/atmospheric song that takes me to that Achtung Baby feeling that I am listening to the work of absolute geniuses.

White as Snow - loving this song. Takes awhile to "get" the melody, but when you do it is so stark and haunting. One of the best on the album.

Breathe - love this one as well. Has so much JOY. It's one of those "get up off your feet, motivating" songs that Bono likes to write (BD, Stuck, One Step Closer, etc.), but among the best bc the feeling of euphoria is palpable in the chorus.

COL - Love this. Again, cinematic in the same way Fez was. There are so many subtle noises/effects in the background that really help provide a sense of place. This is easily up there with Love is Blindness for me in terms of U2 closers.

Overall, I give this 8.2/10. Would have been a 9+ album if they replaced Stuck and (maybe) Crazy Tonight with more weightier songs. Still loving it though, and I know I'll love it more over time.

It's a top 5 U2 album for me - up there with AB, Pop, Zooropa and TJT. Probably in the the 4th best among that lot.

Greetings from NYC

gujuju

am i the only one who thinks it's all a bit 'meh' - just doesn't excite me at all. might be the first U2 album i don't go out and buy. so disappointed

It is a fantastic soulful joyful cohesive album.
For me the best since POP.

Also, this is not an album that is going to deliver big hits. Catchy singles are missing for that, imo.

I've only been listening it to it last night and have had 3 full listens, but just some impressions.

-In general- Bono's vocal is not what it was, even 8 years ago. He has evolved into a different kind of singer. More of a soul/R&B style than full out rock theatrics.

No Line on the Horizon- rocking start, I think its really a tonesetter and one of my favorite album openers. I love the vocal style on this one, and the "woh-oh-oh"

Magnificent- A growling opening line that eventually turns into a classic sounding U2 song- with swirling guitars that sounds like something in between War and UF. "Only love can leave such a mark..." that is a remarkably familiar U2 lyric. But IMO a tad too long.

A Moment of Surrender- The little trip hop beat here reminds me of So Cruel and I freaking love that song. This is the logical progression from Achtung Baby. The lyrics is complex and the theme is uniquely U2. 7 minutes long is as epic as anything they've done in years- but this song is really something. My favorite song on first listen.

Unknown Caller- Another 6 minute song? I think U2 should've put this one nearer to the end of the album, as we've already had a couple of slow burners. This one seems to fit in more with the last album. I don't particular love the chanting chorus here and the computer lyric is not really resonating with me. I think this one will have to grow on me. Probably my least fave early on.

I'll go Crazy- Might be the most accesible sounding song on the album. But I really like the lyric even though the title has been getting roasted in the press. Lots of classic bonoisms in this, and some fun self-depreciation.

Get on Your Boots- Man I really like this song, but it sounds quite a bit different than the rest of the album. Actually it almost had to be paired with Stand Up Comedy, but this is easily the most uptempo song on here.

Stand Up Comedy- This is cool- this could've been on POP. I like the groove and the guitar on this song.

Fez- wow, U2 get weird. I've been waiting for U2 doing another heavy Eno influence song for a while. I like it- gonna have to give it a close listen to get the full effect. One to hear with headphones.

White as Snow- Slow burner. Something about this sounds like a combination of "If you Wear that Velvet Dress" and something more traditional. U2 Folk. Like the lyric here- definitely a movie theme.

Breathe- I heard this get played on the radio right before a Lizzy song and after a Dylan song and it didn't sound too of place even though it was 30 years of difference. Modern twist on classic rock with the typical U2 twists. I like this song progressively more with each listen. This could be a single and could be be big.

Cedars of Lebanon- Bono takes on a character and puts together something really interesting. Lots of quotable one liners and the falsetto harmony works over Bono's spoken word- is that Eno getting in on the singing again?

Really interesting album. The themes are current, but through the U2 perspective of faith and love as always. The band has been progressively adding more rough edges to its sound, but I think the interesting twist here more is how Bono has changed as a songwriter and singer. This album on initial listen seems more character driven- not the same narrator we've always heard.

Amazed at how many people seem to have a problem with Unknown Caller... :ohmy: It's an epic trip of a song...

I'd say Ive listened all the way through the album about 20 times now. It's a masterpiece to my ears, theres nothing I want to skip, Crazy Tonight and Breathe which were bottom of my list initially are still bottom but I absolutely love them nevertheless - the rest of the album is just so extraordinarally brilliant that track rankings are almost pointless...

Still, Here's something of a breakdown:

Unknown Caller
Moment of Surrender
Magnificent
White as Snow
Cedars of Lebanon

^Flat out classics, as good as or better than anything U2 have done before.

Fez-Being Born
No Line On The Horizon
Breathe
GOYB

^ Brilliant, dynamic and exciting tracks that propel the album along. Better than anything since Zooropa

Crazy Tonight
Stand up Comedy

^ Fun, funky and a bit throwaway but they leaven what would otherwise be an extremely heavy listening experience.

The album is just getting better and better with each listen, I can;t see myself tiring of any of it too quickly. Its a great acheivement and I hope it gets the huge success that it deserves.

Oh and I may be in a minority and it may be sacreligeous to countenance for some...
But a 4.5 minute edit of Moment of Surrender could be the biggest hit of U2s career. It has that "With or Without You" magic to it. I know itd be a shame to cut ANY of it but it's just a strong feeling I have that it could be huge...

Forty-eight hours later, and I still cannot stop listening to this album.

I'm not sure if I posted this a day or so ago...I thought I did, but I've been in a bit of a fog listening to this over and over.

I doubt you and I are going to disagree for a very long time, GibsonGirl. Maybe ever again. :hug:

Ok. that was giddy and over the top. But this album fills my eyes wistfully and makes me want to hug every single last U2 fan I can. Interferencers included. :heart:

I am overwhelmed by this album. In a good way. Edge is just completely amazing on some of the tracks. I can't wait to hear Magnificent and Moment of Surrender live.

There is only one song that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. And that's Fez.

Moment of Surrender
White as Snow
Breathe
Cedars of Lebanon
I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
Fez – Being Born
Unknown Caller
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
Stand Up Comedy
No Line on the Horizon

After about 35 listens:

Moment of Surrender
White as Snow
Breathe
Cedars of Lebanon
I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight
Fez – Being Born
Unknown Caller
Magnificent
Get On Your Boots
No Line on the Horizon
Stand Up Comedy

I have been listening to this album several times every day since the night of the Australian leak. There have been a few times (while not listening to it) that I have thought 'perhaps I'm getting a bit tired of it after all.'

It's usually at that point that I put on another album (most likely something from U2's excellent back catalog) and listen to it. What strikes me is that it still sounds fresh and vast after coming back to 'No Line on the Horizon' from something like The Joshua Tree. In my mind it definitely stands up to my U2 favourites (Achtung Baby, Pop, JT, Zooropa, and War) and is a separate entity, not a rethread.

Back
Top Bottom