Ok, it's been 48 hours.... / Post 48 hours Analysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is their best since Achtung baby. If they get the being relevant and appealing to a younger audience out of their system and just make music for the sake of it they will go far.

YESSS! And, ironically, they'll probably make more younger fans this way.

My post 48-hours thoughts.

This feels like the lovechild of Unforgettable Fire and Zooropa. It's cohesive, lyrically excellent, and breaking new ground whilst still remaining more U2-ish than the last two albums (Magnificent and Breathe especially feel like quintessential, distilled, PURE U2.)
I love the multi-layered production, it the cellos are all over the place and it never feels to radio-friendly (which was HTDAAB main problem, in my opinion). It also feels like an album that can appeal, in some way, to every U2 fan. The only album that doesn't have a little nod to it is Boy (which is ok considering how much HTDAAB payed homage to it). Overall, the album truly feels like a third masterpiece, and personally, I would pick it over The Joshua Tree (although no song will probably ever match Streets).

But most importantly, this was the album that proved U2 can still make truly awesome, epic music. I love both Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights and Beautiful Day (my 3 non-NLOTH favourites from this decade - and Electrical Storm of course) - but they are nowhere near Zooropa, Ultraviolet, Until The End of The World, Streets, One Tree Hill, Mofo, and so on.
Breathe and Magnificent have entered my all-time U2-top-10.
Magnificent has actually entered the top 5. I didn't think that'd be possible, after all, this is the band that wrote All Because of You and seemed very proud of it 4 years ago (still the crappiest of all crap U2 songs ever). But somehow, they did it.

No Line On The Horizon is U2's third masterpiece. It seems like most of us are in agreement on this.

Listening to Magnificent at this moment. This record seems to keep getting better and better after each listen. Magnificent it sure is.

In the context of the album, Get On Your Boots sounds really good. It could turn out to be one of my favourite tracks on the album.

Magnificent is a great mammoth of a song and i think i'll love it forever

Crazy tonight and Stand Up are still up for debate but i'm preferring the latter at the mo, especially the last minute or so

Moment Of Surrender isn't quite hitting the spot yet and even though Bono dials in an emotional performance, i'm not sure whether the tune will sustain repeated listening. it's definitely not in the same league as 'one'.

Unknown Caller is the one track that i can't make my mind up about. Maybe it has got layers that i'm yet to discover but i'm thinking the songs structure takes a little getting used to.

Being Born is good and gets better with further listening....a very good sign

Breathe has got a big pair of balls and it isn't afraid to let them swing in the sound. I look forward to hearing this live probably more than any other song on the album

White as snow is nice but i'm finding it a bit too sweet, even though it is a song about dying.

Cedars of Lebanon does the job for me. Sombre and a fitting end.

I think i'm gonna like this album.

Is the magic still there?

3rd masterpiece?

Nothing like they've ever done before?

Anyone wanna buy a cockatoo?

In reverse order:

No thanks - don't want any noise parrots. Two dogs are enough.

NLOTH isn't that unique in the U2 world - it's a combo of TUF, some of the darker R&H songs, some of the more abstract "Zooropa" (like "Daddy's Gonna..." and "The Wanderer"), OS1, with a hint of HTDAAB. However, by combining all of those eras, U2 managed to create a very original album.

Trouble with labels like "masterpiece" is that not everyone agrees. I don't agree with most U2 fans on what are U2's "masterpieces". Therefore, I refuse to use that label. I will say that the album is not horribly accessible to the Top 40 crowd, yet is very rich and textured. And that alone says volumes to me. U2 know how to write hits - they chose to write something different. Bravo! :applaud:

To conclude:

After hearing the album a few times, I find myself gravitating towards some songs, appreciating others more and allowing the rest to be in the middle ground. But unlike just about every other U2 album, I don't find myself strongly disliking any track. And that alone is impressive.

Well, I've only just listened to the album a couple of hours ago but so far, I really, really love it.

I'm trying to decide whether it tops Achtung Baby for me. Achtung Baby has been my favorite for a long time but the first four tracks of Horizon just blew me away. Crazy Tonight is alright and seems like it could be a grower. I'm liking Boots more every day and I though Stand Up Comedy was awesome. Then from Being Born to the end, it blew me away again.

So is it their third masterpiece? Most likely, at least for me. Only time will tell though if it has staying power like Achtung Baby does.

It's getting better and better for me. What I like is that it feels like a proper album with a lot of thought behind its construction, and a genuine return to a feeling of depth.

Okay so I've listened to it about 6 or 7 times now, and this is the first time I've delved back into the land of the blue crack since getting it! I didn't want my opinion of it to be tainted by shameless and over excited first reveiws.

So here I go: Overall I think it's a lot more mature and comfortable than Bomb. All four of them are playing at an extraordinarily well crafted and focused level. Its like they've taken all the best of their back catalgue and played around with it for 11 songs. The most noticable references are UF and AB/Zooropa. Edge is a given - he's always at his best. Adam has been great in the last decade, but this album he really stands out. However the stars of this album, IMO are Larry, who's drumming is the best its been since AB or even War, and Bono who's lyrics are possibly the best he's written in 15 years.

No Line on the Horizon: I love. Fantastic opener. Its warm, soaring, epic, and sonically beautiful. It grows on me each time I listen to it. Classic U2, will be amazing live.

Magnificent: nuff said.

Moment of Surrender: Very powerful and emotionally mature. Gives us an opening trilogy, not necessarily to rival the holy JT trilogy, but certainly reminiscent of it.

Unknown Caller: This song has a killer melody. But I find the lyrics awkward and the whole song kind of bordering on uninteresting. A significant step down from the first three, IMO.

I'll Go Crazy: surprisingly, I really like this song. It has a kind of irrestibale charm, like Wild Honey. I'm sure I won't like this song in four years time, and it has the major drawback of Bono hitting a note that he really should never attempt to hit, but I think lyrically, and melodically, it is a great song.

Boots: Works really well in the context of the album.

Stand Up: I love. Its like U2 finally got kick ass right. This one is a big success in my books. Once again, I love the lyrics.

FEZ: good ... ish, but I find it bordering on pretentious. I think I need to give it more time. I feel like it should be great, and it certainly captures that AB/Zooropa darkness that gives the album some intersting depth, but I really can't help hating the "let me in the sound part" and I find it gets kind of boring half way through.

White as Snow: Both lyrics and melody are cliched. This is already a track that I'm inclined to skip.

Breathe: Possibly my favourite track on the album. So far, there is nothing about this song that I don't love.

Cedars of Lebanon: Great closing track. U2 has a knack for choosing great closers. Almost every album they have ever made has, IMO a great choice of closer that leaves you feeling the exact sentiment of the album. This is no exception. Its dark and challenging and works well. Especially the last line. Its chilling!

I can't say yet where it stands in relation to the rest of the 2000s, but I think it's probably better than anything they've done since Pop. In a few months it could be the best thing since Zooropa ... who knows. Retrospect is the best judge.

I still listen to the album in its entirety.

Where as with Bomb I was jumping around with songs and had a few that I really liked before I just kind of gave up on it within 4 days after hearing it for the first time.

I still listen to the album in its entirety.

Where as with Bomb I was jumping around with songs and had a few that I really liked before I just kind of gave up on it within 4 days after hearing it for the first time.

me too. I can pretty much listen to the whole thing over and over. And it's still getting better each time. I think this thing might be a whole lot better than the sum of its parts.

My Analysis after about 15-20 listens

The Singles

1. Get On Your Boots - A pure rocker, throw away and trashy but if a band in their early 20s wrote this they would be praised for it. This was only meant to get U2 back into peoples conciousness and wasnt necessarly meant to be a #1 hit. It did the job and they did a great job of playing it live at The Brits.

2. Magnificent - A classic U2 stadium rock song with a new coat of paint. The layering and guitar of this song make it a special track on the CD and it should be a radio hit because it is one of those tracks that just make you stop and listen.

3. Moment Of Surrender - Although it would probably need to be shortened to become a single this song is the best ballad they have written in a very long time and has the I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For/One/With Or Without You magic touch going on.

4. Ill Go Crazy If I Dont Go Crazy Tonight - A very immidate Pop song that would fit well on All That You Cant Leave Behind and sounds most like what they have done on the previous 2 records. Still has lyrics that seem to be a cut above the poppier tracks on the last few records and a very catchy tune. Should be a good radio song.

Fan Favourites
Magnificent - should appeal to mostly all fans of U2 it has all the elements of greatness and magic that most people got into U2 for in the first place.

Unknown Caller - A very dense soundscape in this track for those that enjoy the experimental side of U2 and one of those hidden gems on an album this track is probably for you.

No Line On The Horizon - Sounds the most "Achtung Baby" on the record and therefore will be one of those songs that the 90s U2 crowd will love to hear on tour.

Moment Of Surrender - Just an undeniably great track from start to finish, has one of the better subtle intros that the band has ever written and amazing lyrics. Bono is returning to form with this one.

Breathe - Simply A great song, don't have a bad word to say about it.

Hidden Gems

Fez Being Born - An amazing and awe inspiring soundscape in this track from the instruments to the vocals...simply bone chilling.

Cedars of Lebanon - Possibly the best closing track U2 has written, and the final song on a true album that deeply touches the soul.

White As Snow - A departure for U2 they are able to take you to a place and a feeling with this song. Will be very under appriciated by the general public.

Live Hits

Magnifencent
Stand Up Comedy
Get On Your Boots
No Line On The Horizon
Moment Of Surrender

Do I think this album will sell as well as the previous 2 albums?

Probably not

Do I think it is a better album with a longer lasting appeal to a hardcore fan?

Yes

Thank you U2 and the great production team of Eno and Lanios for making this album it was well worth the wait. Looking forward to hearing the second batch of songs that came out of these sessions.

about 20 listens in, it most hits me as Achtung Baby like...Its the first record since AB to me where they tried a bunch of different structured songs that seem to work. The last two, they have tried to be in a pretty narrow box and it worked for them, pristine singles like vertigo, bday, walk on, stuck, elevation, all because of you..Of course I'm the only person who seems to like Boots, as it hits me like Fly, lots of guitar noise and I am not trying to make it any more than that. Problem is with U2 taking 5 years between records, everyone wants the first single to be a combo of with or without you,streets,one and pride all wrapped into one song. I just want something cool, an except it for what it is, seems to rock pretty hard live as well..

Bottom line is there is no Man and a Woman or One Step Closer on this thing..thank goodness for that

Well, I've only just listened to the album a couple of hours ago but so far, I really, really love it.

I'm trying to decide whether it tops Achtung Baby for me. Achtung Baby has been my favorite for a long time but the first four tracks of Horizon just blew me away. Crazy Tonight is alright and seems like it could be a grower. I'm liking Boots more every day and I though Stand Up Comedy was awesome. Then from Being Born to the end, it blew me away again.

So is it their third masterpiece? Most likely, at least for me. Only time will tell though if it has staying power like Achtung Baby does.

Exactly my thoughts on NLOTH

It's mediocre bullshit. I don't hear what everyone is hearing. Songs like Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller aren't just painfully generic but they're painfully long. It's like U2 has lost the ability to be critical about themselves. It's basically generic soft rock music underneath Bono repeating the same themes he's done for the past two albums and adding nothing new other than awkward rhymes. They've lost all ability to be shockingly new.

I'm a long time fan but they lost me a bit with HTDAB and with this it's even worse.

I was little at unease after the 1st listen.... but after the 2nd listen, the album really made me fall into love for it like a stranded man in a vast desert upon glimpsing an oasis.

I can say with utmost pride that.... there is not a single weak song in the whole album.

It's mediocre bullshit. I don't hear what everyone is hearing. Songs like Moment of Surrender and Unknown Caller aren't just painfully generic but they're painfully long. It's like U2 has lost the ability to be critical about themselves. It's basically generic soft rock music underneath Bono repeating the same themes he's done for the past two albums and adding nothing new other than awkward rhymes. They've lost all ability to be shockingly new.

I'm a long time fan but they lost me a bit with HTDAB and with this it's even worse.

One less person to worry about battling for tour tickets with. This album is amazing especially for a band that could rest on their past hits but I think they always have the drive to create great albums and with this one theyve succeeded in even surpassing great. Amazing album.

NLOTH = fantastic
Magnificent = magnificent
Moment of Surrender = soulful
Unknown Caller = unintentionally funny (move to trash, force quit, reboot-- singing about his macbook and iphone :lol:), but also a little haunting (the whole accident thing)
Crazy Tonight = poppy
Boots = Moroccan rocker; less poppy and rougher than Vertigo
Stand Up Comedy = funkified; the last 90 seconds might be one of my favourite bits of the album
Fez = mind blown
White As Snow = sad but beautiful
Breathe = fuck yeah
Cedars = great send off

Okay I think this album has gone from a 4/5 to a 4.5/5 already for me, and could hit 5/5 with time. :heart:

1. Achtung Baby
2. Joshua Tree
3. NLOTH
4. Boy
5. ATYCLB
6. Zooropa
7. Bomb
8. War
9. Rattle & Hum
10. Pop
11. UF
12. October

Well, you can always go back to The War album and rock 'n roll on that one. Or go back to the Joshua tree album, put on your cowboy hat and go: where did it go wrong with U2 after With or Without You:sad::sad:. There is a place for everyone in the U2 universe:hug:.

i just woke up this morning, got my iphone and my headphones, and listened to this album straight in bed.

it gets better with every listen...and now i'm REALLY into White as Snow.

U2 have just created another classic.

Whether it's the mystical "third classic" or not right now is irrelevant to discuss- really, that estimation for the other two only came after months and years of analysis, although BOTH were considered obscure and trying, and incredibly ambitious (in a positive way), upon release. The question for the moment is does this one belong in company with UF, AB, JT, War, Zooropa, and the greatest works in U2's pantheon. And I believe the answer is yes. Time will give it the full ranking in due course.

The first month or so the only songs I liked from Achtung Baby were The Fly and Acrobat. Now I know it was a classic record but I was totally clueless back then. A U2 record is not a Happy Meal.

Back
Top Bottom