Ok, it's been 48 hours.... / Post 48 hours Analysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not to isolate you, but it always puzzles me how it seems many or most of the posters here have high praise for Achtung and Zooropa, and JT, but seem to not hold War in very much high regard at all.

War gave us SBS, NYDay, 2Hearts, Like a Song (really, the most pounding rocker these lads have ever done. Guarantee if they came out with that song today it would blow the lid off the radio and all the other pretenders to the U2 mantle), Surrender, Seconds, 40.. even the refugee...

I guess I just dont see how something like "Baby Face" or The First Time or Lemon even begins to compare.

I know, I know, everyone has their faves. I get it. Just wonder if there's a natural generational thing, with those who became U2 fans in the 90s dismissing the 80s stuff. It makes sense, given that we tend to lionize and relate more emotionally to songs we hear when we're teens. That's when I heard War, UF and JT, hence my reverence for those..

As for NLOTH and where it ranks in the U2dom....I put it fifth behind TJT, War, Achtung, and UF.

War is an amazing album. It is not at the height of Achtung or Joshua Tree... but people ranking ATYCLB above it seems loony to me!!!:hmm:

I'm not sure what else they could do for you.
If you don't love some/most of this album, you Have to move on.
U2 is not for you. so buh, bye, love. :love:

this is kind of messed up to say, but i really have to agree. :wave:

This record has taken my love for u2 to another level. and i haven't even gotten into all the songs yet.

just kind of discovered White as Snow....haven't figured out Fez-Being born yet :reject: i will though, musicwise it kicks ass....

I like the album and I think that Crazy will be the next single more that I listen to it.

Crazy is announced to be there next single. yes. but it´s very different and didn´t fit into the album i think. anyway, it´s a good song and it´s great for the tour:):applaud::applaud:

On a more serious note, I don't know yet where I will ultimately place this album amongst the canon of U2dom, but I do know that I was utterly blown away by it on the first listen, and I love it more and more with each time I listen to it. It's complex, and I think will age like fine wine.

This is an album that's going to be around a while. :up:

Where is it going to go? How is it complicated? Interesting points nonetheless.

I think it is a fine album. Hard to compare it to anything else in the last four years simply because The 2 are in a class of their own. On that basis, placing it amongst the other long play records released by The 2 I'd have to say it falls somewhere between Zooropa and AB with a light sprinkle of UF.

Best ever ? Doubtul, and too early to say.

Potentially best since AB. After second listen I feel the only real weak point is Crazy tonight (Boots on the album has grown on me, as has Winter).

Honestly, I don't listen to the album much because I don't want to spoil the excitement. I don't have so much time either. I will go buy the regular CD next Friday and then listen to it again while reading the lyrics. I think it's not good to listen to the album all the time because you'll wear it out and it will become tiring and ordinary.

:up:

The magic is definitely still there for me but I'm trying really hard not to listen to it too much right now. Who knows how long until we will get another album, I just really don't want to wear this one out in a few days.

Plus to me it really has a solid feel as a whole album now, I'm interested to see how the 2 other tracks coming with the iTunes pre-order will fit in. :hmm:

As far as it being the third masterpiece..haven't really thought about it. I just know I like it very much.

I think the first four tracks are brilliant, and the last four tracks are equally brilliant.

there are three songs in the middle that more or less stop the forward motion - Crazy, Boots, and SUC. I can deal with crazy, boots has it's moments (why did they put all the "typical" pop songs in a row?), but SUC is the jivest thing I've heard in a long time. I like the chorus, but that's about it. Esp when you put that next to FEZ - Being Born, it just looks stupid. I very well might take that song out and see if i like it better. That way, boots goes right into FEZ, which'd be interesting for the sample it uses.

One of the real strengths about the album is it's mystery, its occaisional inaccessiblity. Bono has some of his greatest lyric writing (also some of his worst, but it's generally resigned to that three song stretch in the middle), Larry is outstanding.

There's a cohesion in everything eno and lanois produced, of which the heavily multi-tracked harmonies are a sign. it's really beautiful, and I'm still piecing it together. But i can unequivocally say, Stand-Up Comedy only works to the album's detriment.

There's little doubt for me that it will be remembered alongside Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby as one of U2's classic records. The success of Moment of Surrender alone could go a long way toward ensuring that. I see that song having a big impact on radio and being covered by a hundred different artists down the road. And there are good album cuts that will keep the album relevant on modern rock stations for many years.

Is it as good or better than those albums? Impossible for me to say now. I think it's fantastic. But what some people are never willing to admit is that Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby had flaws, too, that we tend to gloss over as the years pass.

I love it more and more each listen through. I hope they keep this trend the next few albums!

It gets better and better with each listen.

Around the 7-8th time the whole album gelled into a complete statement for me. I stopped comparing the songs to the beach clips. I stopped worrying that the three songs in the middle aren't exactly, cool. I stopped moaning that the North African influence didn't really materialize. It took me several times listening to the album before I could shed all the expectations I had for the album and just take it in on its own terms.

For me:

Best since AB

Third best album in the whole U2 catalog (just below JT)

In some ways I think this is their best, though. There are so many moments of great beauty and joy in this album which take it beyond comparision.
It doesn't have the bells and whistles of the other other albums. Bono's voice isn't what it used to be. Edge's guitar isn't at its peak. These aren't the best riffs, the best melodies, the best lyrics, the best sounds they have conjured up.
However, I really think they have reached some of the deepest places of the heart with this music that they have ever gone to (sorry for the heart cliche). There are emotional and spiritual heights in this album they have never reached before.
I love the album.

Still #3 for me, and that position seems to be improving with each listen, even challenging JT for #2. But I would not dare knock JT out of the way until I have had several months to consider it.

Post 48 hour ANALYSIS/Change of heart

Now that we've had a few days to digest the new record. I already see a few trends.

1. Moment of surrender and ... Crazy are way overrated already. MOS needs a few more listens but its definately around 5th or 6th best in the album. Crazy is bordering on cheesy riffs from Bomb era.

2. White as snow is a new potential classic that I hope will not get buried like other potential classics like Acrobat, Do you feel loved, In a little while and Heartland.

3. This album must translate well live if it truly is to be compared to AB and JT which translated well. I agree with other posters that it would be nice to start the show with 5 , 6 or 7 new songs right off the bat.

The first three songs are pretty freaking good. Unknown Caller isn't ripening well. Crazy, Boots, and SUC are like repeated words that dissolve into phonetic noises. Being Born, Breathe, and Cedars of Lebanon are all classy joints.

NLOTH opinion forecast: rising

Also: a critical lack of songs featuring T-Pain about being on boats.

Moment of Surrender is incredible. Crazy Tonight is growing on me with each listen but still one of my least favorites on the album. Could be a big single though.

Really not a fan of the word "overrated"; it implies, "I'm right, others are wrong."

Moment of Surrender is incredible. Crazy Tonight is growing on me with each listen but still one of my least favorites on the album. Could be a big single though.

Really not a fan of the word "overrated"; it implies, "I'm right, others are wrong."

:up:

Also, to my ears, In A Little While will always be one of the best things U2 has ever done. MOS is new, but on the same level to me.

Im also curious to see how this new stuff plays live. The Bomb material didnt seem to develop in a live context, but I can see room to take the NLOTH tracks to a new level.

i loved it the first time i heard it (night it leaked). i've listened to it about 6 times now and i'm liking it less each time. there are good songs, but in all i think it's not one of their best. i'd say it's their 4th worst album after october, ufire, war.

:doh: That says it all. WTF! I'm not sure I know a U2 fan who doesn't put UF in the top 5 - disclaimer - the album that introduced me, personally. (I'm envious that my older sis caught them on the Boy tour when she was in college and didn't spread the "disease"). As said before by many. . .too early too tell.

Not to isolate you, but it always puzzles me how it seems many or most of the posters here have high praise for Achtung and Zooropa, and JT, but seem to not hold War in very much high regard at all.

War gave us SBS, NYDay, 2Hearts, Like a Song (really, the most pounding rocker these lads have ever done. Guarantee if they came out with that song today it would blow the lid off the radio and all the other pretenders to the U2 mantle), Surrender, Seconds, 40.. even the refugee...

I guess I just dont see how something like "Baby Face" or The First Time or Lemon even begins to compare.

I know, I know, everyone has their faves. I get it. Just wonder if there's a natural generational thing, with those who became U2 fans in the 90s dismissing the 80s stuff. It makes sense, given that we tend to lionize and relate more emotionally to songs we hear when we're teens. That's when I heard War, UF and JT, hence my reverence for those..

As for NLOTH and where it ranks in the U2dom....I put it fifth behind TJT, War, Achtung, and UF.

and Red -fucking- Light. Great song.

Back
Top Bottom