Ok, it's been 48 hours.... / Post 48 hours Analysis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's way too soon to be ranking the album or declaring it a masterpiece. It's been two days! I'm loving it so far, but I also loved HTDAAB initially. A few months later, I was already bored and skipping half of the songs.

I am sure that NLOTH is much better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, though. That's really all I wanted.

Yeah, Wire rocks.

I'm extremely critical of UF, and I think that parts of it (4th of July, Elvis Presley And America) sound completely enamored with itself, while others are just dull (Indian Summer Sky, MLK), but it coheres really well, and pretty much everything I didn't name is awesome.

UF, depending on my mood, is my favorite album of theirs, and even so I almost never listen to Wire or Indian Summer Sky. For the most part though I think of that album as their most unique. It doesn't sound like anything before, and it's never even been copied by anyone that I know of. It just sounds wholly alien, and I look at it as one giant piece of music.

I kind of look at Zooropa + Passengers as a 90s companion piece to it.

Getting back to the original topic of NLOTH, so far I am utterly in love with 7 songs and am willing to give the other four a fair chance. I didn't love Numb until the 2002 remaster.

Too early to say how good it really is, but I can tell already the songs feel more sure-footed and convincing than that of the previous two albums, the 'plastic' feel of HTDAAB is no longer there, mercifully.

I like the album and I think that Crazy will be the next single more that I listen to it.

I just keep thinking of something like LemonMelons status thingie. Bono is gonna rock out with his cockatoo out. :rockon:

Now seriously,

Some songs already went up like CT, Breathe, CoL (and I already liked them) and amazingly none went down except MoS, which went up and fell a little today. (Now it stands as my fourth fav track on the album, it was the third yesterday.)
Conclusion:

Masterpiece only topped by JT and AB. (For now :sexywink:)

It's pretty weird for me now. I've been having this feeling that I don't really want to put on the album, but when I do, it's so great:love:.

I've replaced notlh with notlh2, and I guess I'll toss out CoL , WhiteAsSnow soon enough and replace it with lady with the spinning head or something :x

It's better than it was the first time I heard it.

way better. I liked it the first time I heard it but I was mostly like :huh: , maybe even thinking, is this what I waited four years for? It took at least 8 listens to really sink in. Now I'm absolutely in love with it. I think it's fucking fantastic. Can't stop listening to it.

As for UF, fuck you guys, Indian Summer Sky is awesome :drool:

Unbelievable.

Unforgettable fire?? A sort of homecoming?? MLK?? Promenade??

but those songs aren't as good as songs from the other albums, that's what i was getting at. ya those are good songs, i just meant that their other albums like jtree and achtung are full of amazing songs, not just an album like ufire that has 2 big songs.

only good songs are Pride and Bad

Probably one of the most shocking comments I have read on this site, since someone said Coldplay were a good band.... Seriously though, I am staggered by that statement and to have completely dismissed songs like The Unforgettable Fire (one of my personal faves), A Sort of Homecoming and Wire, for a start is just unbelievable.

Honestly, I don't listen to the album much because I don't want to spoil the excitement. I don't have so much time either. I will go buy the regular CD next Friday and then listen to it again while reading the lyrics. I think it's not good to listen to the album all the time because you'll wear it out and it will become tiring and ordinary.

The magic is growing with each listen. Some of the songs are taking longer than others to really grab me, but I like it that way. It's like the layers are unfolding..

I've listened to the album a fair amount of times now, and I'm still overwhelmed. Yet, there's no denying it obviously also has its weak points (naturally, this is subjective). I wouldn't call it their 3rd masterpiece, as the 3rd masterpiece is reserved for ATYCLB in my opinion. But NLOTH is surely a very solid album right up there. Only time will tell where it will eventually settle at.

so far, I'll say it's their fourth best, after Achtung, Joshua Tree and ATYCLB

Not to isolate you, but it always puzzles me how it seems many or most of the posters here have high praise for Achtung and Zooropa, and JT, but seem to not hold War in very much high regard at all.

War gave us SBS, NYDay, 2Hearts, Like a Song (really, the most pounding rocker these lads have ever done. Guarantee if they came out with that song today it would blow the lid off the radio and all the other pretenders to the U2 mantle), Surrender, Seconds, 40.. even the refugee...

I guess I just dont see how something like "Baby Face" or The First Time or Lemon even begins to compare.

I know, I know, everyone has their faves. I get it. Just wonder if there's a natural generational thing, with those who became U2 fans in the 90s dismissing the 80s stuff. It makes sense, given that we tend to lionize and relate more emotionally to songs we hear when we're teens. That's when I heard War, UF and JT, hence my reverence for those..

As for NLOTH and where it ranks in the U2dom....I put it fifth behind TJT, War, Achtung, and UF.

Back
Top Bottom