Official U2.Com: Where The Album Has A Name, "No Line On The Horizon" Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1. MattMcGee is a known whiner and I couldn't care less about his opinion, I don't even read his columns because I'm interested in facts not on some person's speculation
2. Larry is not the center of the universe. It's clear that he's not a fan of Zooropa and Passengers, so him saying the new album is NOT a return to this level of experimentation is natural since he wouldn't find the new album great otherwise.
3. I don't like Zooropa, so the new album NOT going back to that sound is PHEW. I just don't think it would work nowadays.

I think U2 trying too hard to be experimental could be a very bad move.

Let U2 be U2. And being U2 is doing classical and doing some experimentation at the same time...

Thats why I think none of U2 albums sound the same...

1. MattMcGee is a known whiner and I couldn't care less about his opinion, I don't even read his columns because I'm interested in facts not on some person's speculation
2. Larry is not the center of the universe. It's clear that he's not a fan of Zooropa and Passengers, so him saying the new album is NOT a return to this level of experimentation is natural since he wouldn't find the new album great otherwise.
3. I don't like Zooropa, so the new album NOT going back to that sound is PHEW. I just don't think it would work nowadays.

Zooropa is a great album. Absolutely love it. U2 being experimental has produced AB and Zooropa so I can't see it being a bad move at all.

Your bashing of U2 trying too hard to be experimental and Zooropa is getting tired.
:hug:

Well I'd call "Zooropa" experimental but not necessarily AB. Pop, on the other hand, was more experimental, and it only worked out on part of the album.

I guess it depends how you define "experimental". I just think it wouldn't have the same effect if they released an album like Zooropa now, it was ok in the 90s but today it would seem U2 are trying too hard, especially after their last two albums. I don't think it would convince critics.

Personally I want an album that has heart and soul and sounds sincere. I want music that moves me. I don't mind a little experimentation, but not for experimentation's sake alone.

I personally don't like the words "innovative" and "experimental" when trying to describe a new U2 album anymore because they tend to mislead. Thats why I cringe when I hear them used for this next album.

For me...it sounds like most people use those words just to describe songs that have a bunch of Edge reverb in the guitar or heavy "electronic" sounding parts. I mean is that really "innovative" or "experimental" anymore?????

I'm just saying...maybe I'm just talking semantics here...but I don't think using the same words to describe a new U2 album in the year 2009 that were used to describe their albums over a decade ago is valid anymore. If the songs sound like they are from A-
Baby or Zooropa then they should say so, right? I mean, how can something be "experimental" or "innovative" if you've already done it before 13-15 years ago?????

I personally don't like the words "innovative" and "experimental" when trying to describe a new U2 album anymore because they tend to mislead. Thats why I cringe when I hear them used for this next album.

For me...it sounds like most people use those words just to describe songs that have a bunch of Edge reverb in the guitar or heavy "electronic" sounding parts. I mean is that really "innovative" or "experimental" anymore?????

I'm just saying...maybe I'm just talking semantics here...but I don't think using the same words to describe a new U2 album in the year 2009 that were used to describe their albums over a decade ago is valid anymore. If the songs sound like they are from A-
Baby or Zooropa then they should say so, right? I mean, how can something be "experimental" or "innovative" if you've already done it before 13-15 years ago?????

i agree. it's not like U2 is ever going to sound like Animal Collective. at some point, U2 has to sound like U2.

i agree. it's not like U2 is ever going to sound like Animal Collective. at some point, U2 has to sound like U2.

Yes, exactly. It's strange when people call for that level of experimentation from them, as if they were only fans of Zooropa and Passengers. If you love U2, you probably don't want to hear something overly-experimental. At least not if they're releasing just 2.5 albums per decade.

Reminds me of the article where Bono talks about hearing Edge play the Beautiful Day riff for the first time and saying that it sounded "Too much like U2" and Edge sneering at him and retorting "We ARE U2"

Too Funny!

:up:

I agree with all these posts. No u2 album sounds the same as another. People can retort that with the triad theory, but, while Boy-October-War was a distinct period, separate in style etc from UF, JT, R&H... I still think that each album has its own nuances and individualities that make it stylistically unique.

ATYCLB for me (and ive seen this quoted) is the sound of the music of Pop, but played with little, or no effects, just guitar, bass, drums and some enoisms for good measure.

HTDAAB was trying to rock up that sound, and make it a more abrasive and direct feeling. It draws from a much wider pool of musical influences, and to me, the two sound nothing alike.

The use of the word innovation is very misleading. As long as the disc is a prgression, or different sound than the last album, they technically are innovating and experiementing.

From all we've heard, and from my experience with the band, factoring in their age etc I think this will sound like 00's U2 instrumentation and physical performance (which I love) trying to recapture the feeling (and not necessarily all the sounds) of TUF and AB.

I can't wait.:wave::drool:

I think we might get more news on Thursday. Didn't we receive the official confirmation of the album on 12-18? That was a Thursday. That would be nice. And we'll get some more info in the Rolling Stone mag tomorrow too, hopefully.

I agree with all these posts. No u2 album sounds the same as another. People can retort that with the triad theory, but, while Boy-October-War was a distinct period, separate in style etc from UF, JT, R&H... I still think that each album has its own nuances and individualities that make it stylistically unique.

ATYCLB for me (and ive seen this quoted) is the sound of the music of Pop, but played with little, or no effects, just guitar, bass, drums and some enoisms for good measure.

HTDAAB was trying to rock up that sound, and make it a more abrasive and direct feeling. It draws from a much wider pool of musical influences, and to me, the two sound nothing alike.

The use of the word innovation is very misleading. As long as the disc is a prgression, or different sound than the last album, they technically are innovating and experiementing.

From all we've heard, and from my experience with the band, factoring in their age etc I think this will sound like 00's U2 instrumentation and physical performance (which I love) trying to recapture the feeling (and not necessarily all the sounds) of TUF and AB.

I can't wait.:wave::drool:

:up::up::up: Nice post.

I think we might get more news on Thursday. Didn't we receive the official confirmation of the album on 12-18? That was a Thursday. That would be nice. And we'll get some more info in the Rolling Stone mag tomorrow too, hopefully.

Yeah, I'm going to be glued to this forum today waiting for whoever finds the "golden ticket" (RS mag).

Edit: As if I hadn't already been glued to this forum for the last 2 weeks.

From U2.com;

"07.01.2009
Rumours (Unfounded)

Just a note to correct some online information suggesting that tickets are available for U2 shows this summer. No tickets are available and no shows have been announced.

There are no tour dates for the band at the moment so please don't get stung by buying tickets for shows that don't exist.

You can be sure any future live announcements will be made on U2.Com as soon as details are confirmed."

From U2.com;

"07.01.2009
Rumours (Unfounded)

Just a note to correct some online information suggesting that tickets are available for U2 shows this summer. No tickets are available and no shows have been announced.

There are no tour dates for the band at the moment so please don't get stung by buying tickets for shows that don't exist.

You can be sure any future live announcements will be made on U2.Com as soon as details are confirmed."

U2 are touring!? :hyper: Nobody tells me nothing! I bet there's a new Album I know nothing about too :sad:

:wink:

:|

What is there left to discuss, we know the name of the album, what now?

Back
Top Bottom