Of the remaining beach clips, which is your favorite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To answer the question, 404 "All My Life" is easily my favorite of the beach clips.

I love it and I would love it if it shows up on the new album. I don't give a fuck how poppy or soggy or cheesy it is.

However, I have a feeling it won't see the light of day.

Ok, I gave up trying to upload the beachclips to Save-file and tried MediaFire instead.
I hope that it still works out for you, of course.
PLEASE NOTE: These are the 2006 beachclips!

U2 - Beach Clips July 2006, Eze-sur-Mer, France
beach06-front.jpg

Download Link:
http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=482873f0bf78825a7069484bded33bcd399086bc9f4d6ed1
The link above contains the following:

• Audio:
  • Cedric's Youtube clip of Window In The Skies (18 seconds, Demo version)
  • U2exit.com - beachclips (snippets)
  • Beach Clip #1 DSCN0400 - "Can't You See"/Window In The Skies
  • Beach Clip #2 DSCN0402 - "I Believe"
  • Beach Clip #3 DSCN0403 - "Thank You"/Thank You For The Day
  • Beach Clip #4 DSCN0404 - "All My Life"
  • Beach Clip #5 DSCN0409 - (Obstinate) In Transit by Albert Hammond Jr. (The Strokes)
  • DSCN0404_cleaned - 404 cleaned up by U2Neat.
    Video:
  • All My Life - Fan video by Edge89
    Other things:
  • Information about beachclips+Lanois/Strokes versions, including "lyrics" etc. (.txt)
  • Front cover for iTunes etc. by Edge89

Additional content:

• Two versions of Thank You as performed by Daniel Lanois.
  • Instrumental fan covers of 402, 403, 404 and Window In The Skies + tabs and chords.
  • Two alternate versions of In Transit by The Strokes.
  • Short fanmade mix between Walk On riff and "All My Life" (#404) by Edge89.

Last edited:
Awesome post with links, Edge. I have been tired of seeing some of the "false alarms" posted here. I like the feel of "I Believe" and think that with some incubation and a more "ambient" feel, it could be nice.

But I really hope that the clips we heard elements of in the Lanois video and the Fez sessions is closer to the finished product than this may be. Just one man's opinion.

Holy shit!! I have heard the beach clips back in 2006 and i loved I believe but I am loving the covers!!!! Esp of I believe!! I never actually heard the covers before thanks for posting and thanks to the people who made them! They are great!

You're all very welcome.

Glad you liked the cover versions, dabiggestu2fan. Actually all credit should go to am22884. He made the music that I just added an extra guitar to on 403.
I'm planning of recording my own huitar version of 402 though now that I've upgraded my gear with some proper mod. delay and such important stuff.

The_Edge89 said:
You're all very welcome.

Glad you liked the cover versions, dabiggestu2fan. Actually all credit should go to am22884. He made the music that I just added an extra guitar to on 403.
I'm planning of recording my own huitar version of 402 though now that I've upgraded my gear with some proper mod. delay and such important stuff.

Hmm..what happened there?:p I meant to say that I am thinking about recording my own guitar version of 402. Sorry about that.

Just a prediction -I think All My Life (404) might be "Moment of Surrender". The lyrics say "all my life I've been waiting for the moment of (?..)".

I definitely hear him say "moment" a few times......

I think "I Believe" is pretty good; some interesting things with the chords there.

agreed with lew, and I definitely hear moment too jofo, but I thought Moment of Surrender was described as being slow and atmospheric? I could be wrong though.

I do like "I Believe" better than "All My Life /404", but I think 404 could have potential as well. Sounds pretty by the numbers but I think some bits and pieces of it sound pretty good to me- we'll even see if either show up. I would be surprised if these songs from those beach clips are anything more than a B-Side, since they seemed to be with the Saints Are Coming / Window in the Skies sessions. Who knows what they took and kept from that, brought to Morocco, then to Dublin. :shrug:

Doubtless all these lyrics are just a rough draft anyways.....

aren't these tunes from 2 years ago anyway?

from the WITS sessions?

I don't remember any of them besides 404, but anything's better than that. It's horrible.

I hated WitS too, so I'm guessing I just really disliked the music they were recording around that period. Hopefully it's not on the new album.

I also really don't like WITS.....as well as Saints......that was even worse.

Yeah, All My Life (404) seems pretty damn boring to me. I really hope that's in the garbage.

And honestly, even I Believe (402), while pretty interesting, steals the guitar break from Dirty Day. But, this is a much better direction for them....it reminds a bit of HMTMKMKM in a good way, and I really like that techno keyboard swoop during the break.

i really hope that beachclip allmylife404 isn't an album track at all,
speaking of sound experiment, i think it pushes the limits of of the cheesyness a bit too far
that said i have a very bad feeling about it might result on some obsious radio friendly single, related to that spider-man thing maybe

"All My Life" beachclip

this may have been mentioned already before, if so kindly delete this thread:D

the all my life beach clip in the chorus has a part that says
"this moment I'm in..."

just to speculate, could this clip be an early version of moment of surrender?

I really doubt that this All My Life song could turn into the best thing Eno has ever done with U2....

And I highly doubt that song will make the album anyway....does Lanois/U2 think that this song is innovative? I think not.

i think its a bit hard to critisise a song that you can't fully appreciate due to poor quality recording and, you know, waves n shit.

When we say it's not innovative, we can't actually really tell what the instrumentation is like, or the structure of the song or anything like that.

Forget about "all my life"

i think its a bit hard to critisise a song that you can't fully appreciate due to poor quality recording and, you know, waves n shit.

When we say it's not innovative, we can't actually really tell what the instrumentation is like, or the structure of the song or anything like that.

I actually disagree with that, I can quite clearly recognize the chords and the song is almost fully there start to finish, so the structure is very clear:
verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-bridge reprise

Verse
C#|G#|A E|B X2
C#|G#
C#|G#|A E|B X2 (All my...)

Chorus
(life, I've been waiting for)
C# G# D#m G#
C# G# F# Fm D#m (same progression as "Walk On" verse)

Short Verse
C#|G#|A E|B X2 (All my...)

Chorus
C#|G#|D#m|G#
C#|G#|F# Fm|D#m

transition
B6 B| B6 B|G#4|G#

Middle 8ths (Guitar Solo)
C#|B A X4

Altered Chorus
C#|G#|F# Fm|D#m X4

Middle 8ths refrain (2nd Guitar Solo)
C#|B A X9

Basically this is the same structure as Window in the Sky or almost any second U2 single for that matter, of course with a slight change, but there's nothing new or shocking about the harmonies used (reminiscent of Walk On) or the sound (somewhere in between that one and the live version of Gone), it's true that the transition to the bridge is a little more gradual and that together with the bridge refrain with a second solo at the end are less common features in the U2 catalogue, but generally speaking there's nothing innovativeabout that song. It's a traditional pop song, and as such it is ment to sound familiar, which is I guess the vibe that dominated the Rick Rubin sessions given two factors: 1) Rubin, unlike Lanois and Eno isn't an instrumentalist and does not interfere in the writing and playing process. 2) one of the main goals of those sessions was to produce potential singles for the then-upcoming U218.

Now, given Bono's quotes from late 2006 about Rubin saying that they shouldn't start an album before they have written some extraordinary songs ( U2 to record with Green Day ? // 2006-09-06 // U2log.com // ) which were taken after the beach clips were recorded, I think we can come to the conclusion that what practically happened is that U2 and Rubin had some recording sessions in France and Dublin, which produced some fine material but Rubin recognized that it's of conventional and traditional nature and thus unhelpful in taking the band where they wish to head next, so he prompted them to reform their writing process which led to inviting Eno and Lanois as co-writers, who finally ended up producing the album.

So in light of all that I think it is naive to think that any of the 2006 beach clips will appear on the new album. they are almost complete songs which belong to a different period and stage in the bands artistic phase, and they're not a part of this album. if any of them appears it'll probably be reshaped and reformed so much to be unrecognizable to anyone familiar with the original clips, and anyway there's only three of them (WITS was released already) so why would they bother release any of them on an album after they worked so hard on writing new material with Eno and Lanois, maybe as b-sides and I even doubt that.

I think "All My Life" is too great of a song not to be released at some point. Innovative or not, it would be a hit on radio. I think there's a chance it will be on this album. However, it doesn't seem to fit in with what they're trying to do. Still, I'll be shocked if it's not released as a track on some future album or at least as a b-side. And, given its radio friendliness I think releasing it as a b-side would be a waste.

With that said, I believe Edge has said this will be a guitar driven album, and 404 certainly seems to be a guitar driven song. The chorus would also seem to match the title "Moment of Surrender," since Bono seems to be saying the "moment I'm in" or the "moment I live."

But overall, my guess is we won't hear it on this album, but we will someday.

I think "All My Life" was the weakest and most pedestrian U2 song I heard in 10 years, and a clear announcement that they needed to shake their influences up and go a new direction.

Just one man's opinion....

Back
Top Bottom