Numbers...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bathiu

Refugee
from @u2.com

"Bono had just finished playing me a demo track from their upcoming album, a song called "No Line on the Horizon" that he was inspired to slip into the CD player by the gorgeous white sunset settling over the surrounding mountains.

Bono looks back at the guitarist and says, "Edge -- look, it's 6 o'clock," and the two look from the green digits on the stereo to each other. Bono explains that numbers are significant in each of the new songs, and slips in another CD that may be the first track on the album. It's opening lyric is, "It's six o'clock..."

I said, "Isn't it weird how certain numbers seem to turn up in our lives? It seems like this kind of thing is especially common kind of game with musical people, who must make numbers and patterns a part of their art." "Yeah, we like numbers," Bono says.

Some friends of mine in a Pittsburgh band called Race the Ghost have that thing with 316, which would pop up with all of us at strange times -- the address of a party, part of an important phone number, the title of a Van Halen song, the row and seat number at a concert...

"Three-sixteen?" Bono says, turning down the music to ponder it. For a moment I think he's going to dismiss the phenomenon. Then he jerks his head toward the guitarist and says knowingly: "Edge's is 42."

"I discovered recently that it is actually the secret number of the universe," The Edge says.

"What is it?" Bono asks, and The Edge repeats himself. Bono feigns concern and says, "Steady on, The Edge..."

"Why is that funny? Quite honestly..." The Edge replies. He's so stoic it's hard to tell if he's joking -- but he's joking. "It was in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy...But scientists have recently discovered that it's actually true..."

The Edge's voice is then drowned out as Bono blasts the volume on his jangling guitar intro, just in time for the "six o'clock" lyric. Bono sings along with himself for a moment, then turns the sound down again and looks back at the guitarist and smiles sarcastically: "Say it again...Sorry, Edge, for interrupting you, oh master of the universe."

The Edge is undaunted by his friend's teasing and describes a mathematical study about 42 recurring in formulas relating to mass, energy, speed and other physical properties. It's clear he's the scientist, and Bono is the poet -- but both see a mysticism in numbers from different directions.

While transcribing the interview recording, I was trying to Google the number 42 and see what Edge was talking about. But I stopped when I noticed something...

This discussion started precisely at minute 42 on the recording. No joke. I went back to 3:16 on the recording, and that is the precise end of my very first question.

Coincidence...or Mysterious Ways?"

:drool:

Eazy-V said:
Six o'clock in the morning
You're the last to hear the warning
You've been trying to throw your arms around the world

...?

Well, it wouldn't be the first time he's plagiarized himself.

From other interviews, ive got a feeling that this actually refers to 6 at night, regardless this song sounds cool!

and numbers? perhaps they're going to mess with some strange timings? :D

quadcaster said:
and numbers? perhaps they're going to mess with some strange timings? :D

Would be very cool, but doubtful. I'm sure they'll remain pretty staunchly in 4/4, with the occasional trip into 3 and 6 land. Which I wouldn't classify as strange at all, no matter what Bono said about WITS being "experimental for them" by being in 6/8, because at the very least Acrobat is also in 6/8.

Although, the Moroccan sessions may very wield something in 5 or 7.

Dorian Gray said:
I wonder if that'll give us our album title...
U2 "Numbers"

:hmm:

Interesting thought. Or maybe the first single will be called Numbers....

Wow...they sound really far into the recording process. :ohmy: As long as Adam and Larry don't suddenly decide that the songs are terrible, they seem to be right on schedule for a fall 2008 release.

the tourist said:
Let's see if we can make this thread all about Mercy.

Come on, it wasn't my intention to turn this into another Mercy thread, there's enough of them as it is already. :)

Edited to add:

bathiu said:

This discussion started precisely at minute 42 on the recording. No joke. I went back to 3:16 on the recording, and that is the precise end of my very first question.

Coincidence...or Mysterious Ways?"

:ohmy: :ohmy: ...someone get us that tape!

"U2 - The Limo clips, Sundance Film Festival January 2008"
:lol:

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

that all sounds a bit too coldplay for my liking.

Or little kids songs.... Maybe U2 wrote a song/album that's intended to help toddlers learn to count.

the tourist said:

Or little kids songs.... Maybe U2 wrote a song/album that's intended to help toddlers learn to count.

I wouldn't want anyone taking counting lessons from Bono.

Thats weird, 42.

Speaking of coldplay, their new upcoming album (with Eno) is going to be "42 minutes long" and has a special meaning about the number 42.

I guess that number is mysterious...

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad to know The Edge has good taste in literature.

Back
Top Bottom