Now Mercy is going to be on the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Now Mercy seems to be on the new album, what do you think should change in this track?

For me it's the (bit annoying) ambulance-siren that loops through the song, from the beginning of the song. And when Bono sings "I feel so much..." (fear nothing) it's slightly out of tune... But that's where one can hear it's just a way of Bono's scat-singing and pushing it in search of a new melody or something..

But then after 05:15 min. Edge kicks in with this BEAUTIFUL goosebump-riff... WOW! :drool:
I just hope they keep this full-guitar riff in ! Also beautiful guitar sound here!

Then Bono goes of full on:

"Love is the end of history
The enemy of misery
Love has come again
I am gone again
Love is justice, not charity
Love brings with it a clarity
Love has come again
I'm alive again
Alive..."

Now this part is U2 top-notch!! Bono's full on, sounds really passionate, and is really IN the song.. NOT Bono doing Bono! Together with this beautiful guitarplaying by Edge underneath, this part really gives me goosebumps mileshigh!

Regarding this demo already being so powerful in it's current form (although it's weak recording-quality, flat, etc..), imagine what this song sounds like when finally mixed, with new sounds (overdubs, atmospheric synthesizer by Eno, extra percussion, Adam and Larry full-throttle, etc..)
Man, this track could become one of U2 best ever !

And then live! :drool:
This track will blow this U2-cliché COBL right out of the water! When any song is a runner-up for being the little brother of "Streets" this track might be it... When it's finished of course!

Mercy in it's finished form will forever dwarf COBL !!!

Nice analysis. :up: I mostly agree. I LOVE Mercy and really wish they put it on the album. I love it for all the things you stated in your post. Maybe they should make it a little shorter, everything else is fine for me.

This is such a total U2 song, such a strong tune, thinking about it makes me want to go back and listen to it again.

last unicorn said:

This is such a total U2 song, such a strong tune, thinking about it makes me want to go back and listen to it again.

Thx for your comment!
Right here you have a core-point and at the same time the problem with HTDAAB: Mostly good songs but the element of wanting to hear the songs again and again, even after several years is lacking... Even Larry stated that something is missing on HTDAAB.

Mercy DOES have this lasting power! And in it's current form already! When you think of the song you automatically want to hear it... It's tempting and luring you to put it on! Like a lot of U2 songs (masterpieces) do!

Do we really need another thread on this, when there is already a thread about Mercy supposedly being on the album like two threads down from this one?

i think they should try to make it just a tad shorter...but they shouldn't change any of the major guitar parts or anything, just clean up some of the extra stuff...they were probably just really enjoying the song when they recorded it originally and wanted to keep going with it...

i'm happy this song is on the new album, but i am worried about how it will mix with the rest of the album, given it has a "new sound"

Okay, this is ridiculous. Can a mod please combine this with an already existing Mercy-On-The-New-Album-Let's-Bow-To-The-Mercy threat?

the tourist said:
Okay, this is ridiculous. Can a mod please combine this with an already existing Mercy-On-The-New-Album-Let's-Bow-To-The-Mercy threat?

I'd rather not because...

onyourkneesboy said:
Now Mercy seems to be on the new album, what do you think should change in this track?

...this thread is for discussing ways to change the track, not just discussion on the song in general. As long as it stays on that separate track, I think this thread is fine on its own.

I agree, Mercy has some incredible parts (love edge's guitar), but it is a few parts that make me cringe :wink:

mostly some of the lyrics need to be fixed.

I say why not use Mercy on the new album. It seems to me that a lot of U2's albums start with material left-over from the previous album. I'll be very interested to see how they change it, though, as I do think that the song gets way too much credit as it is. I'm sure if it truly makes it to the album, they'll do what it takes to fit the "mood" of the rest of the tracks. That will probably put a lot of people off; but I think when you get so excited about an un-finished track, the final cut will be sure to disappoint. I've got an open mind about it though. They could practically re-write the entire song and I'd still be satisfied, is my guess.

Change NOTHING.

It's more likely they will ruin what's good about it than add anything that will make it better.

U2 has a history of overproducing things, or redoing things, until they're watered-down or neutered, the exception being in the live format. Which is why, to me, Please is the only improved "single" version.

They obviously need to hire Steve Lillywhite to work on solely this track to turn it into a hit single that everyone in the world must hear. Right, Bono? Then, they should release like 4 different mixes of it. Then, they should do a shite arrangement live with a piano and shit and just to play with peoples' heads.

No. They should release it just as it is. But not on an album. As a b-side. As an album song it's mediocre at best. As a b-side it's a gem.

Diemen said:
I think Brian Eno should erase the track and they should start over again.

:wink:

Are you trying to say it's as good as Where The Streets Have No Name?

Not much, it meanders off towards the ending. But I trust Eno and Lanois will know what to do with it.

the tourist said:
No. They should release it just as it is. But not on an album. As a b-side. As an album song it's mediocre at best. As a b-side it's a gem.

:rolleyes:

Mercy is the most overrated song on this forum, by far. If you want to hear a good (good--not great, nor brilliant, nor the best from it's session as most people on here think of Mercy) song that wasn't released, listen to She's Gonna Blow Your House Down version 1 or version 2 from the Salome tapes.

The only song off of HTDAAB which I think is weaker than Mercy is Yahweh.

innocent_eyes said:
Mercy =

Best song that came out of the HTDAAB sessions...including everything that made the album!
Is that holding it to a very high standard in the first place, though? :wink:

I think that on the new album they should go into without any leftovers. Just start everything fresh. Save Mercy and All My Life. Hell, release a non-album single a year after the album containing those two songs.

And I think U2 should produce the shit out of those two songs--but only record them once. No second takes. Second takes take away from freshness.

HMMM

the tourist said:
I think that on the new album they should go into without any leftovers. Just start everything fresh. Save Mercy and All My Life. Hell, release a non-album single a year after the album containing those two songs.

What is "All My Life"?

Mercy is a great song, but it seems to me as a waste to put on the new album.

I mean, everyone here just about knows the song. We know its nothing new....

I've always wanted 10-12 completly new tracks....that've never been heard in the past (something I don't like about Radiohead).....Though U2 testing demo's live could be a complete disaster! :hmm:

lazarus said:
Change NOTHING.

It's more likely they will ruin what's good about it than add anything that will make it better.

U2 has a history of overproducing things, or redoing things, until they're watered-down or neutered, the exception being in the live format. Which is why, to me, Please is the only improved "single" version.

The Perfect example is Yahweh.....

the tourist said:
Mercy is the most overrated song on this forum, by far. If you want to hear a good (good--not great, nor brilliant, nor the best from it's session as most people on here think of Mercy) song that wasn't released, listen to She's Gonna Blow Your House Down version 1 or version 2 from the Salome tapes.

The only song off of HTDAAB which I think is weaker than Mercy is Yahweh.

Your taste is quite surprising.....
Those 2 songs are my 2 favourite of HTDAAB sessions.....

:huh:

bono_man2002 said:
Mercy is a great song, but it seems to me as a waste to put on the new album.

I mean, everyone here just about knows the song. We know its nothing new....

And we all know U2 makes albums just for interference...:|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom