Now Mercy is going to be on the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Moser said:
Sigh....I thought we have forgotten about this demo for once....

It still sucks.

Fair enough, but why do you call it a demo ? The song very nearly made it on the last album.

Ok, I think it's pretty doubtful that Mercy (at least in any distinguishable form) will be on the next album - though I do really like it. It just doesn't seem like it will fit with where they're going. Plus, U2 obviously know that the song is already out there in the public domain. It's not just like a few obscure beach clips that get into the hands of us obsessive fans - the complete song is on youtube for God's sake! I don't see them trying to release it now...

But either way, does it really matter so fucking much? Even for the people who hate it, it is 100% guarenteed that there will be songs on the new album that you're not going to like anyways. So why is it such a big deal?

Oh well. I'm just trying to point out that all of us (myself included) can get a but hyper about things when we're bored, and it's probably not as important as we're making it out to be.

Maybe it can be a bonus track, then people who don't want it on the album.. it won't be... and people who do want it on the album. it will be.. and they can still play it live (like fast cars).

Rosebud said:
Plus, U2 obviously know that the song is already out there in the public domain.

for us, 10.000 (aprox), that could reach for an mp3 of Bono farting or Edge sneazing without even thinking about it...

not for the millions of people out there

It will probably be a bonus track and probably single on their next greatest hits, let's face it, there will be one at some point.

An Cat Gav said:
It will probably be a bonus track and probably single on their next greatest hits, let's face it, there will be one at some point.

One for each album.

U2girl said:

Fair enough, but why do you call it a demo ? The song very nearly made it on the last album.

Because it is a demo. Did it make the album? No. Does it sound finished? Not a chance. How's the mixing? Sucks. Does that make it a demo? Yep!

the tourist said:

Because it is a demo. Did it make the album? No. Does it sound finished? Not a chance. How's the mixing? Sucks. Does that make it a demo? Yep!

You do know how the song got out, that Mercy was in a Blender review of Bomb, and that Bomb was supposed to be a 13-song album after Mercy was vetoed by the band at pretty much the last minute ? http://u2_interviews.tripod.com/id178.html

Just because it's not perfect CD quality or not made the album, doesn't make it a demo (demos don't make it on final album mixes, and they don't feature in album reviews, and they don't get voted off at the last minute). It's more in the vein of songs like Bad than the tightly structured U2 songs off the last two albums.

Last edited:
the tourist said:

Imagine that "Rare And Unreleased" were never released.
Did "Levitate", "Flower Child" or "Love You Like Mad" did the final cut of ATYCLB? No!
Do they sound finished? No!
Does that make those songs demos? No!

How can you evaluate the mixing of the song based on an improved-quality of a bad-quality file?

U2girl is right. Mercy is NOT a demo. I believe the correct term is "outtake", but as a last-minute cut, I wouldn't even call it that. But it wasn't mixed/mastered, which is why it sounds so painful to listen to...then again, so does most of Atomic Bomb.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
these countless mercy threads have no mercy.

Bingo!

It's almost gotten to the point where I'm looking forward to the new album just so everyone can see for sure that Mercy will NOT be on it.

Aygo said:

How can you evaluate the mixing of the song based on an improved-quality of a bad-quality file?

Because, believe it or not, bad file quality doesn't drastically change the mix of a song. :shrug: True story.

Aygo said:

Imagine that "Rare And Unreleased" were never released.
Did "Levitate", "Flower Child" or "Love You Like Mad" did the final cut of ATYCLB? No!
Do they sound finished? No!
Does that make those songs demos? No!

Someday when Mercy is finished, one of us will be right and one of us will be wrong. If I am, wrong, I'll gladly take the shame, blame, and other various clichés. But if U2 ever releases anything from the Salome tapes, I'll have a good long laugh about that argument you're giving.

the tourist said:

Because, believe it or not, bad file quality doesn't drastically change the mix of a song. True story.

Someday when Mercy is finished, one of us will be right and one of us will be wrong. If I am, wrong, I'll gladly take the shame, blame, and other various clichés. But if U2 ever releases anything from the Salome tapes, I'll have a good long laugh about that argument you're giving.

Yes it does. You cannot evaluate the mixing of a song from a bad quality file because its compression has been totally altered. The "Mercy" file we all have has a much better quality, but you still can hear lots of "unnecessary" noises from the files.

If "Mercy" will be released, it'll never be in the form we all know. Like U2 made changes on "Love+Peace Or Else" (even if subtle), they'll make it too on "Mercy". So, that answer we'll never know - only by the members' mouth.

The Salome tapes is ridiculous because... that's demos, unlike "Mercy" - the difference is more than visible.

vaz02 said:
What changes were made to LAPOE ?

«Original production by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois
Additional production by Chris Thomas, Jacknife Lee and Flood»

I remember reading that LAPOE has some subtle differences from the version that was recorded previously to ATYCLB, like the 50-second intro, that was recorded later.

We don't have to go further.
Native Son, Xanax And Wine, All Because Of You, SYCMIOYO and Yahweh. These songs were final versions and an album with this could've been released.
Do these versions sound finished and polished? Definitely not - but they were!

Aygo said:

The Salome tapes is ridiculous because... that's demos, unlike "Mercy" - the difference is more than visible.

I don't know. Some of those Salome songs were mixed better than Achtung Baby was. :shrug:

the tourist said:

I don't know. Some of those Salome songs were mixed better than Achtung Baby was. :shrug:

I'm one of those that disagree that AB has a bad mixing job.
The Salome working tapes... almost have no mixing job.
Does it sound better, because is raw?:shrug:

Aygo said:

I'm one of those that disagree that AB has a bad mixing job.
The Salome working tapes... almost have no mixing job.
Does it sound better, because is raw?:shrug:

Because Bono's vocals are raw, yes. And because you can hear everything.

I agree that there's no way we can determine what Mercy will sound like for the new album. It might not even be the same song.

For example, in U2: At the End of the World, the Edge mentioned how Wake Up Dead Man was ready for release around the Zooropa period. It was a hard, heavy rocker. But since they threw all the rock songs off Zooropa, it didn't make the cut. So it showed up on Pop and obviously wasn't a heavy rocker. So until we hear the new Mercy, there is no way to say if this is a good or bad decision on U2's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom