No Line On The Horizon: uptempo rocker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Do you think this tune will be an uptempo tune? I imagine something like COBL based on the title.....

I hope it's uptempo, yes.

But for some reason I get the feeling that it isn't. I also don't think it will be the first single.

Just a guess, obviously.

I haven't listend to the clip in a while, but I don't recall there being any clear indication that that song actually was NLOTH. I seem to remember that the original poster or someone else simply felt that it seemed to fit the melodic/atmospheric description or something, and some assumption that Bono says "no line on the horizon" in the chorus of a very hard-to-make-out clip.

This doesn't say anything about the tempo, but from reading this old interview from the Sundance Film Festival you get the idea that there are some contrast there between the "mellow" title and the "brutal" sound of the guitar so it could just as well be uptempo, as well, but I don't care about the tempo, if it sounds anything like this description.

From USA TODAY, January 21, 2008:

"Can I interrupt this broadcast?" he says. "There's an amazing moment
in Ireland, where we live, when the sea and the sky can have the same
color and the line of the horizon disappears. And I look at these
mountains, and it's just about to happen here."

He reaches beneath the seat and pulls out a CD case, withdrawing a
hand-labeled disc. "I have just the right song for it … if I can find
it."

He slips the CD into the player and heavy distortion fills the car.
It's a song called No Line on the Horizon, which the band is developing
for their next album. "It came out of a new distortion box that my
guitar tech got," The Edge says.

"This is a little full on!" Bono shouts. "But it's worth it, just to
get a flavor of this. It's only a demo."

The song is rough, weaving between brutal guitar blasts underscoring
the mellow title refrain. "These are just first drafts," Bono explains.

well, i'm guessing it's the first single, so we should know in less than two months!

This doesn't say anything about the tempo, but from reading this old interview from the Sundance Film Festival you get the idea that there are some contrast there between the "mellow" title and the "brutal" sound of the guitar so it could just as well be uptempo, as well, but I don't care about the tempo, if it sounds anything like this description.

From USA TODAY, January 21, 2008:

"Can I interrupt this broadcast?" he says. "There's an amazing moment
in Ireland, where we live, when the sea and the sky can have the same
color and the line of the horizon disappears. And I look at these
mountains, and it's just about to happen here."

He reaches beneath the seat and pulls out a CD case, withdrawing a
hand-labeled disc. "I have just the right song for it … if I can find
it."

He slips the CD into the player and heavy distortion fills the car.
It's a song called No Line on the Horizon, which the band is developing
for their next album. "It came out of a new distortion box that my
guitar tech got," The Edge says.

"This is a little full on!" Bono shouts. "But it's worth it, just to
get a flavor of this. It's only a demo."

the mellow title refrain. "These are just first drafts," Bono explains.
It seems like a very JT-esque topic for a song, doesn't it? Hopefully the songwriting will be more poetic and less direct as a result.

I'd be ecstatic with an uptempo rock song, one which is far more accomplished than Vertigo :hyper: with better lyrics and all, something that will make you feel "what a wonder song this is, I cannot believe anyone could of made a song so good" :up:

:reject:

:doh:

How does someone base the tempo of a song on the title?

And how is it that some can turn every thread into a "_____ is the worst U2 song ever" when the thread isn't even about that song?

Most of their lead singles were up tempt/rockers. (IFW, Gloria, Desire, The Fly, BD, Vertigo)

I avoided the links and leaks but the description in the article seems to hint to a rocker.

"He slips the CD into the player and heavy distortion fills the car.
the mellow title refrain."

I avoided the links and leaks but the description in the article seems to hint to a rocker.

"He slips the CD into the player and heavy distortion fills the car.
the mellow title refrain."

Put it this way.. if U2 release this as a single then it will represent a hugh shift not only in sound but also in attitude from the last 2 albums. However from what I've heard it's shaping up to be another AB; by that I mean an intention to move to a different sound while also having one very large eye on commercial success. Just as pragmatic as AB. For EBTTRT & WGRYWH read.......'Breathe' & 'For Your Love'.

It's the U2 way.

Mostly I'd just like something with a unifiying lyrical theme and/or a unifying sound, a real album. (hoping Lanois was right when he said Bono has a new lyrical angle) I would really hope after Bomb they're done re-visiting the past of their own sound, so I'm not interested in "AB part two". I liked the melodic writing on the last two albums but it's time for something else - and some fresh themes from Bono as well.

I don't know what else they could do that would be completely new after 11 albums and almost 30 years - atmospheric, new wave, American sounds, dance music, techno, ambiental, pop...the only major (Western) genres they haven't tried are heavy metal or hip hop. (well, and jazz, but they'd probably not be interested in that) Hopefully they really hit a vein in Morocco sound-wise, and maybe the pressure is reduced this time now that Eno and Lanois officially are co-writers from the beginning.

edit: I'd like a sound like Ground beneath her feet/Stateless. That's be new, yet still feel like U2.

True, but I don't think NLOTH fits into this category given what we've heard of it (which is nearly the entire song).

I am not sure what you are referring to, but I think I have heard all the clips available and I can't say that I have heard this song! Which clip are you referring to that you are so sure it is NLOTH? The one with the trucks in the background? I don't think there is anything clear enough in that clip to 1. claim that it is in fact NLOTH and 2. assess what kind of song it is.

Or are you referring to another clip?

Off topic but:

Is that stupid record ever coming out or what?

Talk about nonsense.....:down:

I am not sure what you are referring to, but I think I have heard all the clips available and I can't say that I have heard this song! Which clip are you referring to that you are so sure it is NLOTH? The one with the trucks in the background? I don't think there is anything clear enough in that clip to 1. claim that it is in fact NLOTH and 2. assess what kind of song it is.

Or are you referring to another clip?

Over 3:30 minutes of NLOTH were posted here in February (not the clip with the trucks in the background). If you look through previous threads on this forum you will find it.

lol you guys.
looks like CD will come out and Madagascar(new gnr song) blows anything u2 has done in the past 7 or 8 years. don't get me wrong i love u2,i love them for what they were not what they have become. which is quite rubbish if you ask me.

Back
Top Bottom