No Line On The Horizon (Alternate Tracklist)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tracklist's fine, just push up Breathe on track 5.

Works lyrically after the Caller with the bizzaro lines, keeps up the rhythm of the first half and doesn't feel out of place, as it does currently coming up with a BANG after Fez and Snow and messing the opportunity for a great closing trio of Fez-Snow-Cedars.

The tracklist's fine, just push up Breathe on track 5.

Works lyrically after the Caller with the bizzaro lines, keeps up the rhythm of the first half and doesn't feel out of place, as it does currently coming up with a BANG after Fez and Snow and messing the opportunity for a great closing trio of Fez-Snow-Cedars.

i remember i tried this once, and i actually found more success with flipping Fez and Snow. i thought Snow and Cedars back to back was ackward because the songs were so close in tempo. it was nice to break them up with Fez.

I've come up with a new running order that I really, really like, using the Crazy remixes.

No Line On The Horizon
Breathe
Unknown Caller
White As Snow
Fez-Being Born
Get On Your Boots

one of the Crazy remixes(I've tried the Fish Out Of Water Mix and the Kick The Darkness Vocal Mix...they both kick ass, but while the Kick The Darkness one makes for slightly smoother transitions, the Fish Out Of Water Mix is the best U2 remix I've heard in a long time.

Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Cedars Of Lebanon

I cut Stand Up Comedy.

Boots-Crazy Remix-Magnificent works really well. The Electronic beats of any of the Crazy remixes go perfectly with the intro to Magnificent and the outro of Boots. I feel like this is a well-balanced running order, with three rockers-two atmospherics-three rockers/dancers-two atmospherics structure.

I like it.

^^^^^^^

good suggestions. this is the one i've created that also works really well using both Crazy and Boots remixes:

1. No Line On The Horizon
  2. Magnificent
  3. Moment Of Surrender
  4. Unknown Caller
  5. White As Snow
  6. Breathe
  7. Stand Up Comedy
  8. Crazy Tonight (Kick The Darkness Vocal)
  9. Get On Your Boots (Justice Remix)
  10. Fez - Being Born
  11. Winter
  12. Cedars Of Lebanon

OK bitches. so this is kind of playing history revisionist, but oh well. this is for fun.

for those of you who just can't stand the middle 3, here's a suggestion. "Disappearing Act" works reeeeaaaaalllly well after "Unknown Caller"":

2. Magnificent
  3. Moment Of Surrender
  4. Unknown Caller
  5. Disappearing Act
  6. Winter
  7. Fez - Being Born
  8. White As Snow
  9. Breathe
  10. Cedars Of Lebanon
  11. No Line On The Horizon - 2

i included NLOTH2 because i'm starting to believe that U2 may have intended for both versions to be on the album, but most likely, the good ole record company said "no".

OK bitches. so this is kind of playing history revisionist, but oh well. this is for fun.

for those of you who just can't stand the middle 3, here's a suggestion. "Disappearing Act" works reeeeaaaaalllly well after "Unknown Caller"":

2. Magnificent
  3. Moment Of Surrender
  4. Unknown Caller
  5. White As Snow
  6. Disappearing Act
  7. Fez - Being Born
  8. Winter
  9. Breathe
  10. Cedars Of Lebanon
  11. No Line On The Horizon - 2

i included NLOTH2 because i'm starting to believe that U2 may have intended for both versions to be on the album, but most likely, the good ole record company said "no".

small edit above. WAS actually works well in the 5th slot.

I know I'm a bit late to this topic, playing the producer can be fun so here's my tracklist which works perfectly for me. The original tracklist to me is unlistenable unfortunately, but this one went through just fine and I´m happy that I can now sit back and enjoy NLOTH. Only 9 songs but with a total running time of 47 minutes it's perfectly acceptable, sometimes less is more :

01) BOOTS (start with a punch and get it out of the way)
02) magnificent
03) winter
04) cedars
05) FEZ
06) NLOTH version 2 (this one rocks more, not muddled by overproduction)
07) white as snow
08) unknown caller
09) moment of surrender (bono screams his guts out in agony, a perfect closer)

CUt from album:
breathe-I just don't get this song, can't find anything that I like about it
stand up- sounds like a good guitar riff ruined by everything that was built around it
crazy tonight- it's not too bad but becomes irritating, vocals are a bit too busy for my taste.

I've settled on:

1 - NLOTH
2 - FEZ
3 - BOOTS
4 - MAG
5 - MOS
6 - WAS
7 - CRAZY
8 - BEING BORN
9 - SUC
10 - CEDARS
11 - BREATHE
12 - UNKNOWN CALLER
13 - NLOTH 2

i think making an alternate tracklisting for this album would be more interesting if one were to break Fez off of Being Born as its own track leading into a different song

and using the longer intro version of "get on your boots"

i don't know the order, but i think those two elements could really add a lot to the running order.

ok here goes...

1- FEZ - Being Born
2- Breathe
3- Magnificent
4- I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
5- Stand Up Comedy
6- Get On Your Boots
7- Unknown Caller
8- White As Snow
9- Cedars of Lebanon
10- No Line On The Horizon
11- Moment of Surrender

Fez just seems like it's meant to be an opener, Surrender just works as a closer. So i had to bookend them and work from within.

After that I put the more poppy type songs up front and the trippier, more meditative stuff towards the middle, with no line kinda bringing it back home at the end, right before the closer with moment of surrender.

my theory, which is one i believe u2 has used before, is to hit 'em with the catchy songs first so that they like the album right away, and let them discover the other, perhaps better, songs as they go along.

The original tracklist had Fez/Being Born as the first track. But they changed their minds, finally decided on a mix of NLOTH (the song), took Winter out and added Crazy...[/SIZE][/FONT]

your font annoyed me so i cut it out, but alas... i'd bet the house that if i could get into my delorean, punch that bitch up to 88 and tell them to stick with the original tracklisting... and then after the album is released leak crazy tonight via the internet... crazy tonight would be a beloved underground u2 track, with people here bitching about how they left off such a pop classic.

and then once it finally made it's live debut in a different form, people would bitch about how they ruined it.

ahh, revisionist history. great scotts, indeed.

The tracklist I have for NLOTH on my mp3 player is:

01 Soon
02 No Line On The Horizon
03 Magnificent
04 Moment Of Surrender
05 Unknown Caller
06 Breathe
07 Get On Your Boots
08 Fez - Being Born
09 Winter
10 White As Snow
11 Cedars Of Lebanon

I took a while for me to get "my" perfect tracklist, but I got there.
Since the versions I have for "Soon" and "Winter" (Linear version, of course) seem to have a good sound quality (no substancial differences to the rest of the album), it helps to the overall cohesion.

"Soon" as the opener flows very well into NLOTH. Try it to see if you like it too.
I left unchanged the NLOTH-UC combo because I think it's one of the best U2 has in its entire catalogue.
Then it comes the biggest changes: after UC... "Breathe" followed by GOYB. I tryed it andm surprisingly, it works.
Then, since Fez has hints takes directly from GOYB, I think it made sense to put it after GOYB. When I listen to the "real NLOTH", I almost always skip SUC, and maybe that's why I'm so used to listen to GOYB into Fez-BB.
I choosed to close my NLOTH with the political comment but yet, very atmospheric songs: "Winter" into WAS into COL. I know some might think that 3 mid/slow-paced songs at the end can be "meh", but I like a lot the chain that this songs now create.

This is a suggestion of what I think it has the most perfect fluency and cohesion for NLOTH: "Soon", the 4 song group, the rockers, FEZ (with GOYB hints - and GOYB already has the empowering women comment which leads to...), the atmospheric slow paced political/belic songs.

Yes, I removed CT and SUC. I think SUC is a poor attempt of U2 trying to be some sort of adult contemporary funk, it's a boring and uninteresting song for me. CT is U2-by-the-numbers instrumentally and it has some of Bono's most random-line and tasteless lyrics. That's why I left both out of the tracklist: I think NLOTH can perfectly live without them.

01 Soon
03 Magnificent
04 Moment Of Surrender
05 Unknown Caller
06 Breathe
07 Get On Your Boots
08 Fez - Being Born
09 Winter
10 White As Snow
11 Cedars Of Lebanon

Since the versions I have for "Soon" and "Winter" (Linear version, of course) seem to have a good sound quality (no substancial differences to the rest of the album), it helps to the overall cohesion.

"Soon" as the opener flows very well into NLOTH. Try it to see if you like it too.
I left unchanged the NLOTH-UC combo because I think it's one of the best U2 has in its entire catalogue.
Then it comes the biggest changes: after UC... "Breathe" followed by GOYB. I tryed it andm surprisingly, it works.
Then, since Fez has hints takes directly from GOYB, I think it made sense to put it after GOYB. When I listen to the "real NLOTH", I almost always skip SUC, and maybe that's why I'm so used to listen to GOYB into Fez-BB.
I choosed to close my NLOTH with the political comment but yet, very atmospheric songs: "Winter" into WAS into COL. I know some might think that 3 mid/slow-paced songs at the end can be "meh", but I like a lot the chain that this songs now create.

This is a suggestion of what I think it has the most perfect fluency and cohesion for NLOTH: "Soon", the 4 song group, the rockers, FEZ (with GOYB hints - and GOYB already has the empowering women comment which leads to...), the atmospheric slow paced political/belic songs.

Yes, I removed CT and SUC. I think SUC is a poor attempt of U2 trying to be some sort of adult contemporary funk, it's a boring and uninteresting song for me. CT is U2-by-the-numbers instrumentally and it has some of Bono's most random-line and tasteless lyrics. That's why I left both out of the tracklist: I think NLOTH can perfectly live without them.

i use the same one except i swap Winter and WAS. Winter flows perfectly into Cedars.

I have this tracklist

1. Soon
2. NLOTH
3. Magnificent
4. MOS
5. UC
6. Breathe
7. GOYB
8. Fez - Being Born
9. WAS
10. Winter
11. Cedars of Lebanon

Purely awesome album with that tracklist, miles miles apart from the other 00's albums.
I listen trough the whole album almost once-twice a day now when i got the idea from here to change it. :hyper:

I have this tracklist

1. Soon
2. NLOTH
3. Magnificent
4. MOS
5. UC
6. Breathe
7. GOYB
8. Fez - Being Born
9. WAS
10. Winter
11. Cedars of Lebanon

Purely awesome album with that tracklist, miles miles apart from the other 00's albums.
I listen trough the whole album almost once-twice a day now when i got the idea from here to change it. :hyper:
That's the same as Mikal's and almost like mine (except I have Winter and WAS swapped). That makes already 3 with more or less the exact same idea for a great tracklist... :D

here's mine

1. NLOTH
2. Magnificent
3. MOS
4. Unknown Caller
5. IGCIIDGCT
6. GOYB
7. SUC
8. Fez-BB
9. White As Snow
10. Breathe
11. Cedars of Lebanon

:larry: :bono: :adam: :edge:

1 - No Line On The Horizon
2 - Magnificent
3 - Moment Of Surrender
4 - Unknown Caller
5 - Breathe
6 - Mercy
7 - Sexy Boots (w/ ext. intro)
8 - Crazy Tonight
9 - Every Breaking Wave
10 - Being Born
11 - Cedars Of Lebanon

The NZ/New album thread got kind of turned around into a NLOTH alternate discussion, but I figured I'd put my thoughts here since it's more appropriate.

Soon
Breathe
No Line on the Horizon
Magnificent
Moment of Surrender
Unknown Caller
I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Cazy Tonight
Get on Your Boots
Fez-Being Born
Winter (Brothers)
White As Snow
Every Breaking Wave
Cedars of Lebanon

I so want this, but 13 tracks on a U2 album? It'd never happen, in terms of artistry I'd have to drop Boots or Crazy Tonight, but that would sacrifice some energy on the album. I also might consider pushing NLOTH until later in the album for energy's sake.

01 Soon
03 Magnificent
04 Moment Of Surrender
05 Unknown Caller
06 Breathe
07 Get On Your Boots
08 Fez - Being Born
09 Winter
10 White As Snow
11 Cedars Of Lebanon

Aygo, I tried your arrangement, then modified it a little. I'm old enough to think of albums having an A side and a B side, and I thought Boots seemed to fit thematically with the rest of side A, while UC's atmospheric intro seemed the perfect way to begin sibe b.

The trio of Winter-WAS-Cedars just seemed too gloomy, and WAS is so down-tempo that, with Cedars following it, the album almost seemed to have two endings. So I used FEZ-BB to break it up.

I ended up with:

Soon
No Line
Magnificent
MOS
Boots (w/ extended intro)
Unknown Caller
Breathe
Winter
WAS
Fez-Being Born
Cedars

It's been my favorite tracklisting so far. You're right that I don't miss Crazy or SUC. They would've made solid B-sides for the singles.

Aygo, I tried your arrangement, then modified it a little. I'm old enough to think of albums having an A side and a B side, and I thought Boots seemed to fit thematically with the rest of side A, while UC's atmospheric intro seemed the perfect way to begin sibe b.

The trio of Winter-WAS-Cedars just seemed too gloomy, and WAS is so down-tempo that, with Cedars following it, the album almost seemed to have two endings. So I used FEZ-BB to break it up.

I ended up with:

Soon
No Line
Magnificent
MOS
Boots (w/ extended intro)
Unknown Caller
Breathe
Winter
WAS
Fez-Being Born
Cedars

It's been my favorite tracklisting so far. You're right that I don't miss Crazy or SUC. They would've made solid B-sides for the singles.
I made that tracklist already thinking on A-side and B-side. Thus, "Breathe" would be the first track of the B-side. ;)

In my alternate reality I decided to break Fez away from BB and add it to NLOTH (which I recall was actually an option the band tried too). I'm not a big fan of Cedars so I dumped that but added Mercy & Winter.

Fez-No Line on the Horizon
Magnificent
Mercy
Stand Up Comedy
Winter
Get on Your Boots
White As Snow
Unknown Caller
Breathe
Being Born
Moment of Surrender

Soon
NLOTH
Magnificent
MOS
F-BB
GOYB
UC
Winter (Linear)
Breathe
WAS
COL

My favorite so far. It has the best pacing for me.

Chocky, that is great, I would love to hear it that way. I love FBB, after hating FBB, but I would like to hear F-NL.

The only thing I would like better would be Soon - NLOTH
and the second side opening with Fez-Breathe, Being Born. ahead of Crazy Tonight.

Soon
No Line on the Horizon
Magnificent
Mercy
Stand Up Comedy
Get on Your Boots
Winter
Fez-Breathe
White As Snow
Unknown Caller
Being Born
Moment of Surrender
White as Snow

Save Every Breaking Wave for something awesome, and Cedars, although it has grown own me would be a great b-side.

I love making playlists :heart:

1) Soon
2) No Line on the Horizon
3) Get on Your Boots
4) Stand Up Comedy
5) Winter (preferably the version from "Brothers")
6) Moment of Surrender
7) Fez-Being Born
8) Magnificent
9) White as Snow
10) Unknown Caller
11) Cedars of Lebanon

Yeah, the tracklisting is a little weird, and I certainly didn't choose the best of what's there (as evidenced by SUC), but it works for me :shrug:

2. Get On Your Boots
3. Unknown Caller
4. Magnificent
5. Moment Of Surrender
6. Fez - Being Born
7. Breathe
8. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
9. Stand Up Comedy
10. White As Snow
11. Cedars Of Lebanon

Winter is too similar to White as snow thematically, and inferior. Plus it was written for a movie specifically.

And there is no need for the ultimate Edge-on-autopilot U2 song to take up valuable space on U2 albums.

Back
Top Bottom