no 2 U2 albums in 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phommel

Refugee
Did anyone read that interview where Bono explains that the original idea was to bring out 2 albums, "Daylight" and "Darkness" ? (don't remember wherre I read that). And that finally they decided just to put the best songs together on 1 album?

I think this means that the remark mentioned in a previous review, that U2 will bring out 2 albums this year, will probably not be true anymore...

In the french interview today Bono said there is another album that is more ambient more 'night time' but he gave no indication if/when it would be released.

It sounded as though it is still a possibility though.

The interview talked about two EPs(not LPs), two EPs could still make one album.

Also that interview was made before Bono made the comment of releasing a second album this year... So I don't see any contradiction.

Actually, the statement about a new album is from more recent than that, however the idea that it will come out this year is speculation, mostly. Including speculation by Bono himself.

What is the tour timing like? Being in Australia, I know I don’t have to pay any attention to that stuff for at least 12 months, if at all, so I have no idea. Europe soon, then the US, right? Could that take them till (near) the end of the year? If so, and they have Xmas lining up with perhaps a 2nd run around either continent, the tempation to get something out there might be very, very strong. Even if it doesn’t take them up to the end of the year, the temptation to break the legs up with a month or so off might be strong for them now. So re-start a tour in January or something after a few months off when the hype has died down… need something out there. Just a thought. I have no idea.

In the french interview today Bono said there is another album that is more ambient more 'night time' but he gave no indication if/when it would be released.

It sounded as though it is still a possibility though.

He's said that a few times now. Larry said he'd like another album out soon(er).

Remember the "Passengers part II" material Steve Averill was talking about ? Maybe this is what they're talking about.

Well these are the real facts.

I found it. Interview from NME, which was held in the first week of February.

So, when did you start thinking you might actually put the music out?

"About a year ago, and we decided we wanted to put it out in November. Strangely, we kind of lost the plot then; as soon as there was the pressure to get it done and out, we found it really difficult to finish. It was only going to Olympic Studios in London that sorted us out. We were going to release two EP sets, Daylight and Darkness; we had all these ideas, but in the end we just took the best songs and made the one record."

hi LemonMelon!

Did I say smth wrong?

No, not at all, but I can just imagine the "oh, what could have been" and "wow, what sellouts" threads that will soon pop up in WTAHAN. Especially from those who think EPs are cutting edge.

He's said that a few times now. Larry said he'd like another album out soon(er).

Remember the "Passengers part II" material Steve Averill was talking about ? Maybe this is what they're talking about.

Oh dear God I hope that's true. Passengers Part II would make me drool.

So do you think that negates the interview today and the fact that another album of more ambient material may be released?

Well what will happen finally, I do'n't know. But if bono says that they "just took the best songs and made the one record" then I read in between lines that the less good songs are left over and I think they don't wanna make an album with secondary choice songs...

Well what will happen finally, I do'n't know. But if bono says that they "just took the best songs and made the one record" then I read in between lines that the less good songs are left over and I think they don't wanna make an album with secondary choice songs...

I think the point I'm trying to make is he said two EPs, if he had said two albums I could see your point, but the way I see it, we have two EPs spliced together now. So I don't think we "lost" too many songs.

What it sounds like to me is they had a larger amount of moody slower ambient songs and were too afraid to release that as their lead off album for this tour, so it may not be that they are secondary choice just not the right "fit".

I think that it's very possible a new record will be released sometime in early 2010, ala Zooropa. I think there is a 2 year masterplan that results in U2 touring up until the end of 2010. There are currently rumors that U2 are playing South America towards the end of 2010. A potential timeline could look like this:

March 2009- NLOTH Release
April-June- Tour rehearsals
June-August- European Tour
Sept-Nov- North American Tour
Dec- Holiday break

Jan-May 2010- Finish the proposed album that is probably already in some stage of completion.
May- 2010- "___" album release
June-July- European Tour
August-Sept- North American Tour
Oct-Dec- South America, Australia, Asia tour

If U2 are indeed going to be on tour until the end of 2010 (nearly 2 years from now) they are going to need some more material in there. Be it an album or even just an EP, they'll need something to keep it fresh. Bono said a new album would be out before the end of 2009. From a sales point, that'd be good for them to cash in on christmas sales, but unless the album is already done, I can't see that happening. They'll be pretty busy for the rest of this year. But I think if the album is partway finished now, they can finish it in a couple months in early 2010.

I really hope it plays out this way!!

Well Bono just talked about the next album on that french radio interview...

Said quite clearly that it's ready, its more ambient and moody... Its gonna happen people..!

Well Bono just talked about the next album on that french radio interview...

Said quite clearly that it's ready, its more ambient and moody... Its gonna happen people..!

I'll get excited when we have a legit release date.

I thought Bono said in an interview that he would be releasing album #13 in a year's time. So we'll see a followup to NLOTH in 2010.

I think the point I'm trying to make is he said two EPs, if he had said two albums I could see your point, but the way I see it, we have two EPs spliced together now. So I don't think we "lost" too many songs.

What it sounds like to me is they had a larger amount of moody slower ambient songs and were too afraid to release that as their lead off album for this tour, so it may not be that they are secondary choice just not the right "fit".

hmm ya this also sounds like it could be an option....

and now I heard the French radio interview of today where Bono explains the another album is ready....hmmm but why all interviews and reviews and quotes of people involved are about NLOTH...? How can they keep this other album 'secret' while they couldn't do it with this one?

I just believe it when it's there....in 2013? hehe

From what the band has been saying, it sounds like the next album pretty much already exists, as opposed to them having some vague ideas/songs for the future. I think there's a good chance it will come out quite soon.

Back
Top Bottom