NLOTH – why the album is a real masterpiece!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BTW I don't think the new album is a masterpiece, but it's pretty darn close. A proper 'album' is what was required from u2 after Bomb and they have delivered. Dark, soulful, haunting yet joyous at the same time. I'm loving it. It still doesn't knock Achtung Baby off it's perch. And Zooropa was more of a concept album than Horizon. Still like it a lot though!

It's a great album, but it's no masterpiece...but I could completely understand why some think it is!

When I think of masterpiece, I think of AB and JT, I'm not sure NLOTH even comes close.

I think it’s obvious that different people listen to albums for different reasons and in different ways though. If you think Tryin’ To Throw stands out on Achtung, well, I don’t really get that at all. The mellow morning-after song about hungover guilt fits the album perfectly and works brilliantly after the pulsing temptation of Mysterious Ways the night before. Achtung would be a lesser album without it. Unless you think Achtung Baby is just meant to be a cool, different sounding, balls to the wall rock album? Then sure, there are a couple of those songs that stand out. But if the genius in Achtung to you is it’s tackling of multiple sides of love and lust fighting or going off the rails or whatever it is, and that the music miraculously matches the mood and feel of each songs meaning, then yeah, Tryin’ To Throw is a highlight and Achtung scores 11/10 overall because they manage to hit that perfectly on every track.

NLOTH might very well be a lesser album because of this pop-rock interruption in the middle of an otherwise quite spectacular journey that they’re taking you through during the first and last four tracks. If they got the middle three right, perfectly pitched them to the mood and feel and journey of the rest of the album while still providing whatever mid-album relief they would have needed to, then right there you have an album that can at least apply for recognition of having some sort of AB/JT level of brilliance. They were right there, right on the edge, and maybe (maybe) took a step back.

Bono has said that the apparently already in the can follow up is an album about a pilgrimage. A decent chunk of these songs are about that, or a journey, or a moment in time that defines or changes your life. I’m guessing there’ll be some songs left off here, and left for the follow up, that will fit far better than these three and give you a real sense of what might have been. As I’ve said in another thread, it is heartbreakingly close to perfect. I think those middle three songs are fine in their own right. Really well written pop-rock and well above and beyond their Bomb contemporaries, but it’s just too much of a break, too much of a bucket of cold water getting dumped on you in the middle of a great dream. Sorry, but it knocks it back a peg or two for me. So, so close, but not quite there.

I think it’s obvious that different people listen to albums for different reasons and in different ways though. If you think Tryin’ To Throw stands out on Achtung, well, I don’t really get that at all. The mellow morning-after song about hungover guilt fits the album perfectly and works brilliantly after the pulsing temptation of Mysterious Ways the night before. Achtung would be a lesser album without it. Unless you think Achtung Baby is just meant to be a cool, different sounding, balls to the wall rock album? Then sure, there are a couple of those songs that stand out. But if the genius in Achtung to you is it’s tackling of multiple sides of love and lust fighting or going off the rails or whatever it is, and that the music miraculously matches the mood and feel of each songs meaning, then yeah, Tryin’ To Throw is a highlight and Achtung scores 11/10 overall because they manage to hit that perfectly on every track.

NLOTH might very well be a lesser album because of this pop-rock interruption in the middle of an otherwise quite spectacular journey that they’re taking you through during the first and last four tracks. If they got the middle three right, perfectly pitched them to the mood and feel and journey of the rest of the album while still providing whatever mid-album relief they would have needed to, then right there you have an album that can at least apply for recognition of having some sort of AB/JT level of brilliance. They were right there, right on the edge, and maybe (maybe) took a step back.

Bono has said that the apparently already in the can follow up is an album about a pilgrimage. A decent chunk of these songs are about that, or a journey, or a moment in time that defines or changes your life. I’m guessing there’ll be some songs left off here, and left for the follow up, that will fit far better than these three and give you a real sense of what might have been. As I’ve said in another thread, it is heartbreakingly close to perfect. I think those middle three songs are fine in their own right. Really well written pop-rock and well above and beyond their Bomb contemporaries, but it’s just too much of a break, too much of a bucket of cold water getting dumped on you in the middle of a great dream. Sorry, but it knocks it back a peg or two for me. So, so close, but not quite there.

:up:

Now JT is of course wonderful, but would you rather have the poppiness of songs 5-7 (NLOTH) or the blustery, pompous, enomaniacal delivery of the last three songs on Joshua Tree? I have always found about half of JT difficult because of the band's sense of self importance throughout the album (Especially when I think how low they went with R/H). Now the tunes themselves are great, but the melodies and rhythms etc, are only part of the music.

:applaud:Hear hear. JT was weighed down by the pompousity. I'm glad they jettisoned it for a decade.

Well it´s my humble opinion that without question this album has what it takes to be deemed "a masterpiece" by U2 fans, everyday music fans and music industry "experts" alike across the globe. However as many have said it´s just way too early to make such a call, since that would require a broad cultural consensus and that doesn´t just happen overnight. Having said that I´ve listened to this album a few times now and before doing so I decided to release myself from the burden and distortion of expectation and over analysis and so I just pressed play and listened and I have to say this album as a whole is just drawing me in more and more with each listen, and in the process it´s truly blowing me away bit by bit.
There´s no question that NLOTH is every bit the decendant of all prior U2 albums and that makes it unique. It contains hints and shadows and ghosts of (imo) some of their very finest work (some subtle as a sledgehammer) and in places the band respectfully tip their hat to other musical artists and influences, but this densely beautiful and soulful and evocative new music that they have created in the process without doubt justifies the means and the source of their inspiration. Whether or not this album is embraced by youth culture or by the music buying public today won´t really factor into whether this is looked upon as becoming a true masterpiece in years to come. Like the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby before it; if this albums music crosses cultural divides, and if it´s embraced by a whole swathe of everyday people of all ages (beyond music critics) who find that it´s touched their lives and souls or lifted their spirits or just given them a new soundtrack for a time in their lives, then and perhaps only then will it have the making of a true masterpiece. Although NLOTH has and will have its´ detractors; in terms of critical acclaim it already seems to be well on the road to being seen to be up there with their best work but we all know that there have been previous pretenders to the throne in terms of another masterpiece since Achtung Baby none of which have stood the test of time and so only time itself will tell.

Nonetheless IMO simply put this feels like a work of art, something that will reveal more of itself with time, and that´s just early impressions so I´ve plenty to look forward to on this album and for the record I´ve been a fan for over 26 years so I feel justly rewarded! :)

There´s no question that NLOTH is every bit the decendant of all prior U2 albums and that makes it unique. It contains hints and shadows and ghosts of (imo) some of their very finest work (some subtle as a sledgehammer) and in places the band respectfully tip their hat to other musical artists and influences, but this densely beautiful and soulful and evocative new music that they have created in the process without doubt justifies the means and the source of their inspiration. Whether or not this album is embraced by youth culture or by the music buying public today won´t really factor into whether this is looked upon as becoming a true masterpiece in years to come. Like the Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby before it; if this albums music crosses cultural divides, and if it´s embraced by a whole swathe of everyday people of all ages (beyond music critics) who find that it´s touched their lives and souls or lifted their spirits or just given them a new soundtrack for a time in their lives, then and perhaps only then will it have the making of a true masterpiece. ... Nonetheless IMO simply put this feels like a work of art, something that will reveal more of itself with time, and that´s just early impressions so I´ve plenty to look forward to on this album and for the record I´ve been a fan for over 26 years so I feel justly rewarded! :)

I think there's two things missing for a masterpiece : a) a tighter sense of unity between the songs, like JT or AB - I like the tracks 5-7 lighting up the mood but the album gels a little less for it and b) much as this is a very good Bono album lyrically, he still manages to down it a little. Again, see tracks 5-7.

I think there's two things missing for a masterpiece : a) a tighter sense of unity between the songs, like JT or AB - I like the tracks 5-7 lighting up the mood but the album gels a little less for it and b) much as this is a very good Bono album lyrically, he still manages to down it a little. Again, see tracks 5-7.
I think the lyrics in songs 5 to 7 are excellent...Uplifting on 5, sounding playful yet serious on 6 and again uplifting and joyous on 7 with a little bit of self deprecation thrown in too.
Brilliant!

I think it’s obvious that different people listen to albums for different reasons and in different ways though. If you think Tryin’ To Throw stands out on Achtung, well, I don’t really get that at all.
I don't think it stand out within the lyrical context of the album
I just don't think it's a great tune (though the live version made it sound better)
I actually prefer all 3 of the NLOTH middle section

thematically the middle section also plays its role on NLOTH
as has been pointed out before it's the 'take action' before the aftermath sets in
still, if the songs had been poor that wouldn't have saved it for me

I've been a zealot for this band since 1984. This album makes me as excited as I was when I first fell in love with the band whilst listening to UABRS. Anything that now makes me feel like I did when I was 16 is surely better than a masterpiece. You know back then I had a bunch of hope, faith, energy, fear and excitement. Now it only comes in small doses. Age can do that to you :wink: You can call NLOTH what you want, but to me the album is the jolt to my soul that no other artist has or currently provides me.God bless U2. Peace.

I've been a zealot for this band since 1984. This album makes me as excited as I was when I first fell in love with the band whilst listening to UABRS. Anything that now makes me feel like I did when I was 16 is surely better than a masterpiece. You know back then I had a bunch of hope, faith, energy, fear and excitement. Now it only comes in small doses. Age can do that to you :wink: You can call NLOTH what you want, but to me the album is the jolt to my soul that no other artist has or currently provides me.God bless U2. Peace.

Feel your pain :wave:

This is a post I really understand!

Musically, lyrically, etc etc NLOTH is great.

But what really pushes it over the edge for me is the fact that, mid-way through MOS, or when that final chorus explodes out of Breathe, I find myself clapping or jumping or grinning madly, whether i'm alone or in a busy street.

This album hasn't just impressed me musically.
It's impressed me with its sincerity.
I've never known a band to convey sincerity like U2 used to. It's something you can't fake. It's been missing since AB, in my opinion.

And I can't believe it, but here, in 2009, 18 years later, they've done it again. I truly thought this would never happen again.

:applaud:

This album hasn't just impressed me musically.
It's impressed me with its sincerity.
I've never known a band to convey sincerity like U2 used to. It's something you can't fake. It's been missing since AB, in my opinion.
And I can't believe it, but here, in 2009, 18 years later, they've done it again. I truly thought this would never happen again.
:applaud:

this :up:

If U2 were ever to call it a day :no: This is the Album I would love them to leave us with! It is all there wrapped up in a bow. Start Middle and perfect end. No fillers :cute:

I agree, it is the Album that took 12 to get it right :up: White as snow just rips my heart out, drags it along barbed wire, dips it in vinegar, heals it and puts it back in again! I adore it :heart:

Bono WAS born to sing for us, as u2 were born to give us this Diamond of an album :applaud:

I agree if this was to be their last they could quite rightly be happy and satisfied they put out a amazing strong album to sign off with :)

like a lot at first i had to tough out the mid section of the album 5-7

after repeatedly listening they have their place on this album.

there is so much shit going on on this record it hard to nail it with one word yet it seems cohesive and flows.

I think the first and last lines of this album speak to its general themes of good and bad in all our lives and the lack of control we have over these elements as we sometimes find ourselves in moments of great joy or tradgedy but cant pin a reason as to why we are there.

the cover with the = dark water, light sky this is like a new age ying yang.

looks balanced but the record reveals that our reality is stacked against us in many ways.

NLOTH is not just a record its an emotional social commentary about the human race that gives no answers, asks no questions, but simply states that our lives as much as we try we will have difficulty in finding our meaning, our horizon.

No Line - the outlook is confusing, there will be no answers and the truth
will frustrate no matter how much you believe or think its right.Is there anything that can unify all of us? make us all better people?

Magnificent - we all think we are so special, only love can leave a scar to remind us that we can let others down, be dissapointments and have our lives crushed, hearts broken.opposite of the song title.

Moment of Surrender - super religious song, the letting go and handing over of belief to a higher being. its the admission that we cant carry on being wrapped in oursleves- this reminds me of "you gotta give it away" - from Last Night on Earth. Im not religious at all but I remember that this notion of surrendering or giving away to god or higher power is a pillar of many belief systems.ie. religions.

Unknown Caller - ok so thats fine i give it away and then desperation comes when I demand to know who I should or will surrender to. right from the start with the birds overhead its clear this song is about still wanting for meaning even after realizing and accepting that there is a larger existence than what we can perceive with our eyes on earth.

Crazy Tonight -" how can she be so calm about all this and all I want to do is go crazy analyzing my life, everyone else join me please in my madness" I love how the poppiness of this tune masks the confusion of the character. its like going mad at a carnival.

Boots - back to reality and the cessation of all the worrying until the end the character gets angry and demands to be let in again, this time with answers, no surrendering.

SUC - standing up to God or whatever , standing up to the uncertainty and demanding more of ourselves and the social structures we have created to start delivering more answers , less confusion.

fez - being born - haha the most confusing track on the album muscially shit everywhere when it finally kicks in its dark moody, tried to stand up and failed by remembering 3 and 4. This song to me is more about he realization that these answers may only come with death, if even then we have no proof. There is no heaven we can prove on the horizon so what are we to do, assume we will be reborn?

The last 3 songs take a more short story approach that wraps the album nicely:

white as snow - a person dying and questioning why he lived in the first place

breathe - the realization that there may be no answers in this life, relief at giving up the pursuit, accepting the fact that we can only understand so much. funny the lyric breathe, while the rest of the song is so frantic.

cedars - I dont by the war correspondent thing, thats obvious. I think the real meaning here has more to do with the fact that our mistakes will have more impact than our good deeds will. our enemies will last longer than our friends.

Maybe its just me but this album is the darkest, scariest thing ive heard yet still joyous and uplifiting.

The confusion and acceptance of lack of control makes me optomistic that we cant go anywhere until we realize how fucked we really are.

The simple fact that i see so much in this album for me anyway its a masterpiece, will be my fav forever - feels more relevant than AB, feels more global and reflective of the world I live in.

sorry everyone, should have read the first post, this belongs in another thread.

was trying to explain why this is a masterpeice to me.

Back
Top Bottom