NLOTH vs. UF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nope.

twilight-poster1.jpg

(I really wanted to get that big ass picture of Kristen Stewart onto the top of a new page. You fell right into my trap!)

Although there are more songs I like on the new album, I'd say "Bad" and "Pride" are unsurpassed; Unforgettable Fire and Promenade are also really good.

NLOTH by miles

UFF has a few songs I love but god damn NLOTH is a fuckin' great album.

PRAISE JESUS!!!

This. :up:

Bad, Pride, A Sort Of Homecoming, Wire, MLK are all excellent songs, but there's too many "What the hell?" moments on UF. I think it's a 4/5 star album, NLOTH is 4.5/5. Magnificent, NLOTH, Moment Of Surrender, Breathe, Fez are incredible. :love:

Well, let me see. Its a tough call because i only LOVE (no pun) 3 songs from both albums.

No Line On The Horizon
Magnificent
Cedars Of Lebanon

vs.

The Unforgettable Fire
Pride
Promenade

I really dont like the album version of bad so that gets thrown in with live performaces only, like A Day WithOut Me.

In terms of "classic" id have to go with UF but No Line On The Horizon (track) really is better in terms of rock awesomeness.

If i must choose, NLOTH for the win. :up:

UF kicks NLOTH ass...sorry :reject:

It's a classic album that just gets better with age, can't deny that.

really tough one...both are two of my favorites....at the end of the day though, I think that while TUF is more cohesive, No line just has better songs, and more of them...here's how it breaks down for me

all time classics
tuf: bad / pride
nloth: magnificent / MOS / Breathe

very good- excellent songs
tuf: SOH / TUF / Wire / ISS / EPAA
nloth: UC / NLOTH / COL / FBB / WAS / GOYB / CT

Average Songs
tuf: mlk / promenade / 4th of july
nloth: SUC

it's really close, but no line gets the slight edge

UF is a masterpiece. It lives entirely within it's own sound-world. And flaws and all, it's a better record than NLOTH because it wasn't overworked, and its content to be exactly what it is. It's like one hazy dream. NLOTH is a dream that you keep waking up from due to all the disturbances (CT, SUC)

I'll go along with most of that. TUF is definitely a masterpiece, I'd rank it just under AB and JT. Having said that, NLOTH does have elements of TUF about it, at the moment I'd rank it about 6th, around the same as Zooropa.

I've always felt TUF was fairly overrated around these parts, so this decision isn't that difficult. The record has some fantastic tunes, no doubt, but when the CD stops spinning, nothing's really changed. I get a bit more out of NLOTH. So yes, as far as cohesion is concerned, No Line... has the edge, IMO. As for track-by-track comparisons...

ASOH vs. NLOTH (ASOH)
Pride vs. Magnificent (Pride)
Wire vs. Moment of Surrender (MoS)
TUF vs. Unknown Caller (TUF)
Promenade vs. IGCIIDGCT (Crazy Tonight)
4th of July vs. GOYB (GOYB)
Bad vs. SUC (SUC... hahha, j/k)
Indian Summer Sky vs. Fez-Being Born (Fez)
EPAA vs. White as Snow (WaS)
MLK vs. Cedars of Lebanon (Cedars)

TUF - 4; NLOTH - 6 (+ Breathe)

I do agree with one poster who expressed TUF being more experimental, as in U2 let Eno kind of guide them throughout the process, whereas with NLOTH they pulled the reigns back a bit (maybe too much?). My only real gripe with the record is that, as New Musical Express stated in their review, "a little more silliness would go a long way."

I don't really agree with classfiying 4th of July as a song that is comparable to other U2songs. It's gonna get caned by anything you compare it with on NLOTH, and that's not fair, because it's not supposed to be a conventional song, it's too short and quiet for that. Most will agree it's a pleasant two minutes of sound, it's pure ambience, designed to compliment the flow of the album, which I believe it does quite aptly.

The Unforgettable Fire is a quintessential vinyl-era album, tracks serve little or no meaning. 4th of July opens Side 2, and flows into Bad. This context is important, if we deicde to compare the two albums "track" by track.

I'm not trying to sound all narky and judgemental, just throwing this perspective out there.

Both are pretty close together for me. They are 4th and 5th for me out all the u2 albums. UF suffers from being shorter, and 4th of July not really being a song.

UF, comes out slightly ahead, because (other than 4th of July- which I really don't count as a song) there is nothing on UF I don't like. NLOTH has the awful SUC, and boots is far worse than anything on UF. The two low points on NLOTH are sooooo much lower than the worst of UF. There is nothing embarrassing on UF like there is on NLOTH.

ASOH vs. NLOTH (ASOH)
Pride vs. Magnificent (Magnificent)
Promenade vs. IGCIIDGCT (Promenade)
Bad vs. SUC (Bad)

UF = 4, NLOTH = 6
+50000 points for Breathe = NLOTH winner :D

ASOH vs. NLOTH (NLOTH)
Pride vs. Magnificent (Magnificent)
Promenade vs. IGCIIDGCT (IGCIIDGCT)
Bad vs. SUC (Bad)

+ Breathe. Not even close:love:

:applaud:

ASOH >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> NLOTH
Pride < Magnificent
Wire < Moment of Surrender
TUF >>>>>>>>>>>>> Unknown Caller
Promenade >>>>>>>>> IGCIIDGCT
4th of July << GOYB
Bad >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SUC
Indian Summer Sky = Fez-Being Born
EPAA = White as Snow
MLK < Cedars of Lebanon

Okay, i'll play this game:

ASOH > NLOTH (both great songs, but ASOH really transports me)
Pride > Magnificent (both great songs, Pride's overplayed, but will always be classic)
Wire > MOS (MOS does great job lyrically at portraying heroin addict, but Wire is the SOUND of that HEROIN RUSH! Trancey dark U2 at their best!)
TUF > UC (UC is a good song, but TUF is absolutely beautiful, maybe their prettiest song ever)
Promenade > IGCI..etc. (Promenade is like a Van Morrison song, atmospheric and awesome, while IGSVBPWEOIUB is a song i really really really really have to be in the mood to hear)
4th Of July > Boots (sorry, i always loved this piece of ambience, says more than Boots even without any lyrics)
Bad > SUC (uhhh i don't feel i need to explain this one)
ISS < FEZ (the first victory for No Line. Fez is one of their best songs this decade)
EPAA < WAS (WAS, the best song on the album, EPAA is underappreciated tho)
MLK < Cedars (Cedars, another fine tune, Bono really going for it with lyrics. MLK is a good lullabye but not something i crave to hear during the day)

and just to be fair:

Breathe < everything on TUF, including the B-sides. Okay, fine, i'll call it tied with MLK.

Uh, I've wondered this in text before, but why is everybody comparing the songs based on their track list order? It's completely random.

ASOH vs. Breathe = ASOH
Pride vs. SUC = Pride
4th of July vs. Unknown Caller = 4th of July
Promenade vs. Magnificent = Promenade
MLK vs. Boots = Boots
ISS vs. White As Snow = White As Snow
TUF vs. Magnificent = Magnificent
Bad vs. Krazy Tonite = Bad
EPAA vs. MOS = MOS
Wire vs. Fez-Being Born = Wire
Love Comes Tumbling vs. NLOTH = Love Comes Tumbling

Huh. 7-4 TUF. Guess I was wrong to pick NLOTH before. The system has shown me the light!

Right now UF edges NLOTH for my #3 spot but it could conceivably change. I doubt it though.

Back
Top Bottom