NLOTH (Song) Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonna Run 2 U

New Yorker
For me one of the high points on the album.

The first time I heard 3:10 - 3:20 i knew Bonos voice was going to shine on certain parts of the album..."but its me that wants to get awaayyyy".

Yeah, I liked it as well...
Anyone hear the main riff from "The Fly" buried in the mix at around 1:15, or is it just me? :hmm:

Yeah, I liked it as well...
Anyone hear the main riff from "The Fly" buried in the mix at around 1:15, or is it just me? :hmm:

They mustn't have buried it deep enough - Was the first thing I recognised..........like an old friend. It doesn't take from the track at all though!

The riff's sampled directly from The Fly, but is pushed back in the mix, under the big wall-of-sound swooshy guitars / synths.

And the "ohhh ohhhhhh ohh" bit is even more operatic and majestic than Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own.

Yeah i noticed the riff was similar to the fly, but its a great song anyway, but not near the best on the album.

I enjoy most of the songs A LOT....but I think pound for pound, it's the best "rock" song on the album.

And I don't care what the printed lyrics say about "sticking her tongue in his ear"...there is no way in the bluest of blue hells that he says that. It sounds nothing like it.

:hmm:

I've loved this from the get go. Both versions are great in their own respects. I seem to hold the first version a little dearer because I fell in love with it first.
But man - the album version is rocking. They should release this next week before the David Letterman appearances. :rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon::rockon:
6 outta 5 rockon's. :wink:

Only heard the 2nd version once.I think I kind of prefer that one a bit more than album version.Im glad that GOYB single B side is version 2.BTW has the Boots single been released yet on CD.

Its my favorite song so far ... after NOT listening to NLOTH2, holding out until the myspace stream, and hearing the album for the 2nd time! Only song I've listened to 4x thus far.... :D

I agree, where is the love? This is the "who's gonna ride your wild horses" of NLOTH... this is by far my favorite song on the album.... i loved it instantly (even the b-side version, but the album version is sonically better) and it doesnt seem to get tiresome after the **th listen. The lyrics seem much more natural than some of the weird Bono rhyming on the last couple albums...

"Time is irrelevant, it's not linear, then she put her tongue in my ear"
"The siren's wailing but it's me that wants to get away"

To be honest, I'm not sure what the hype is with Magnificent...

I also have to go against what seems to be the popular opinion and say that I prefer the B-side version as well :reject:

To be honest, I'm not sure what the hype is with Magnificent...

It's more accessible. Believe me, I'm a total sucker for accessibility and I love "Magnificent." NLOTH is less accessible, but I think it will grow on me as just about of all U2's less accessible songs have over time.

Me neither. I don't hate it, exactly. I think it's the title that annoys me more than anything. It's just too easy to think, "Magnificent, huh? Uh, not so much."

Not to get off topic but:
I had much greater expectations for Magnificent. The beach clip was like "wow, this could be one of u2s best songs". You could hear something going in in the background it was either a blasting eno synth or a magnified edge unforgettable fire like slide type guitar going on - They BURIED it in the finished version and changed larrys drumming to rely on the high hat rather than WTSHNN snare based..and they changed the lyrics. They really "dumbed" down the song IMO and now, like ive said before, Magnificent sounds like a corny disco frank sinatraesque get up and dance wedding song...as tigger said when he first tasted hunny "yyyyuuuuucccckkkkkkkk".

The album version gets stale for me now about 3/4 of the way into it. It just ends poorly. The b-side/bonus track finishes much more strongly.

Plus, Bono still sounds awful on the album version.

The only real flub of the album.

Love the guitar distortion, but you really have to listen carefully to pick out the riff. Will be great live, a real grower too. :yes:

I have no doubts that nloth is best u2 opener! Phenomenal song with bono s perfect singing...so joyful and moving! It will be gem during live shows:applaud:

I really love this track so much, both version's.

The album version gets stale for me now about 3/4 of the way into it. It just ends poorly.

Plus, Bono still sounds awful on the album version.

I realize this is your opinion but, geez, what else do you want?

Back
Top Bottom