NLOTH (Song) Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know someone will "shush" me for asking...BUT......I would really love to hear NLOTH version 2. Can some kind soul send it to meetdave@comcast.net

Thanks. Album version is fantastic. Will it be the concert opener? I think maybe they open with Boots, the maybe Magnificent, then maybe No Line.

OK, I am probably woefully off topic. Love this site.

Quick Initial Review

Good song and much more powerful and better than the NLOTH remix which came out some time back, but the intro is nothing special. Perhaps Magnificent would have made a better album opener? Otherwise, I love it! Boy, Bono really belts it out! How is he gonna handle it live? :ohmy: And I don't mind the squiggly keyboard noises as much as I thought I would. The lyrics are quite interesting too, more along the lines of Electrical Storm than some of the more sub par fare we had on the Bomb. Also, I noticed somebody mentioned that they miss the shouted out No! and Line! from the remix. I say thank god they left that part out! I thought it was kinda lame and maybe okay for an alternate version but not for an atmospheric album opener. So overall, I give the song maybe... :hmm: 7.5/10.

My third favourite after Magnificent and Breathe.

I just love the feel of this song... to me it feels like space-rock.

For me one of the high points on the album.

The first time I heard 3:10 - 3:20 i knew Bonos voice was going to shine on certain parts of the album..."but its me that wants to get awaayyyy".

Spot on- Bono's voice is super on this album- I never thought he'd ever sing like this again.

NLOTH is one that I can not stop listening to. I love everything going on in this song. It probably does not hurt that it has the Fly riff going on which is one my favorite Edge riffs of all time

I can't believe everyone isn't saying this but I love Bono's Whoa-a-whoa-a-whoa-oooohs. :drool: Surely I'm not the only one.

I like that part too. I didn't like it as much in NLOTH2 because he has to sing it more hurriedly due to the faster tempo. Definitely sounds better on the album version, IMO.

I think I like the album version more than the single version, it's so atmospheric, has a certain darkness about it, love the instrumentation, love Bono's voice, it sounds very good. The chorus is better than on the alternative version. I only miss the No! Line! part a little.

I had totally different expectations for that song, I thought it would be much more "punkish", but it isn't, it's actually very atmospheric and I think the slower pace sounds the song better than the very fast one.

I like both version equally but NLOTH1 fits the album better as a starter then NLOTH2 would...
though I like the drive of NLOTH2 more...I think, not sure yet
Think life it's gonna be a mix of both...an easy swelling start with NLOTH1
and then kicking into NLOTH2...
Hmmm, wouldn't that be sweet:drool:

Great great song, a funny mix of atmosphe and driving rythms. And the lyrics are great.

Anyone else realised how the bridge of the album version seems to come from a different take (no synths, just guitar drum bass and vocals) and it actually ressembles the bridge of the alternate take with some additional overdubbed vocals?

I get a feeling they added this new part at Olympic studios.

NLOTH was good choice for the opening track. I think we get a early sense of the experimentation...the rock of the Fly riff and eeriness of 2:50 and the closing sequence. That note change in the closing is brilliant and links in well with the opening 30s of Magnificent.

I'm not a huge fan of chorus though. The repeats of the 'no' just sounds to me of something in the sessions just not working out. Lyrics seems uncomfortably forced to me.

All in all, one of my favourite tracks. And bloody hell this will definitely work live.

Can't wait

This song is a sequel to The Fly, Ultra Violet and Lady with the Spinning head. The first time I heard this song, that is what I thought. Listen to the guitar and bass lines on the verses and you'll know what I'm talking about. But it is a great sequel. I see it as a great way to tie the two eras/albums together, especially since I get an Actung Baby vibe from this whole album

I mustve read you call it that a little while back. About a week ago, I remember thinking "squiggly fart sound? what the fuck is he talking about?" then that night I was listening to the album on headphones in bed. I heard the sound and burst out laughing. So yes, I appreciate the squiggly fart sound

The wall of sound really benefits this version over the alt. take, which I thought was a bit vanilla. One of their better openers.

Back
Top Bottom