NLOTH Mastering? / Clipping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess there's always a vinyl version to avoid clipping.

That's what many Metallica fans thought, then after spending a lot of cash on a 5 LP version, they found out that it clipped just as much as the CD version.

Right, the clipping has nothing to do with the format. Let me put it this way: when I play GOYB on my iPod, I have the volume maybe 3/5 of the way up, and that's about as loud as I can take it if I'm using earbuds. So that's some loud ass mastering.

listen to crumbs..........now that song will breaking your damn eardrum.........ouch

also All Because Of You at the beginning with guitar killed my ears the first time I heard it.

untitled.jpg

Vertigo is much worse than boots

Wow - they both suck.

From the website of management firm Worlds End, whose clients are mainly producers and engineers
WORLDS END PRODUCER MANAGEMENT

Quote:

The new U2 album "No Line On The Horizon" is released on March 2nd in the UK and March 3rd in the USA. Worlds End client C J Eiriksson engineered and mixed tracks on the album.

And here's a link to this engineer's discography: WORLDS END PRODUCER MANAGEMENT

mixers also have a lot to do with how loud things may be.

Apparently, the new Guns 'n Roses one isn't. I don't have the record though.

As for Get On Your Boots, I'm not making a judgement based on a MP3.

I have the Chinese Democracy CD and the mastering by Bob Ludwig sounds really great. If anything, IMO that CD could use a tiny bit more compression and loudness, which is something I've never thought in the last 10 years for any release.

I expect nothing less than another scorching ear bleeder from the new U2 cd. That GOYB waveform certainly does nothing to ease my fears. It does look slightly better than Vertigo. No wonder I cant Listen to Bomb without my ears fatiguing and turning it off in about 3 tracks.

I'm not disappointed with Boots but I see where you are coming from. When your ears fatigue rather early into an album it becomes rather annoying - that would probably be my only gripe with HTDAAB because other than that it's great.

I like the mastering of the 1990-2000 best of - it's sort of in the middle of being not too loud or too quiet like their older albums. If they can apply the same method of mastering to the new album it will sound great (but it will probably be great anyway but that to me would be the icing on the cake).

HTDAAB was horrible in terms of loudness and clipping, and it looks like NLOTH will be a bit better (less clipping, more dynamics - it does matter!!)

Hopefully this will be a the beginning of a downward trend!

Using mp3gain, you only have to turn GOYB down one dB to eliminate clipping. I know it could be better to start with, but I'd say that's it's really not bad. Only HTDAAB really had a serious problem with clipping.

I dunno. There's a nice copy of Boots floating around---mine's the 293kbps VBR one. When I listen to that with good headphones, it may be a little loud, but it's more notable for how many distinct, clear sounds there are in the left and right channels. It may not be as brilliant as the remasters (JT especially), but it's mountains better than HTDAAB. :shrug:

I have the Chinese Democracy CD and the mastering by Bob Ludwig sounds really great. If anything, IMO that CD could use a tiny bit more compression and loudness, which is something I've never thought in the last 10 years for any release.

I expect nothing less than another scorching ear bleeder from the new U2 cd. That GOYB waveform certainly does nothing to ease my fears. It does look slightly better than Vertigo. No wonder I cant Listen to Bomb without my ears fatiguing and turning it off in about 3 tracks.

Probably because most of it was only recorded and mastered 10 years ago, being Chinese Democracy and all! :lol:

Probably because most of it was only recorded and mastered 10 years ago, being Chinese Democracy and all! :lol:

This is a nice blog post from Bob Ludwig about the mastering of Chinese Democracy: Gateway Mastering & DVD

Choice quote:
In October, when I first heard some of final mixes which were incredibly multi-layered and dense, I was surprised by two things: The mixes were so finally honed that doing the smallest move sounded like I had done a lot and also that adding the typical amount of compression used in mastering these days took the life and musicality out of the recordings in a big way.

The trial disc I submitted to the producers had 3 versions: The one I personally liked had no compression that was used just for loudness, only compression that was needed for great sounding rock and roll. Then, knowing how competitive everything is these days, I made two more masterings, one with more compression and another with yet more compression, but even the loudest one wasn’t remotely as loud as some recent CDs. Hoping that at least one of these would satisfy Axl and Caram Costanzo, the co-producers of the record, I was floored when I heard they decided to go with my full dynamics version and the loudness-for-loudness-sake versions be damned.

:)

HTDAAB was horrible in terms of loudness and clipping, and it looks like NLOTH will be a bit better (less clipping, more dynamics - it does matter!!)

Hopefully this will be a the beginning of a downward trend!

The clipping on HTDAAB made me sick. Anytime you turned it up to a remotely audible level all of the sounds just mixed in together. Total shit.

I agree that it matters. I actually think that's what makes the difference between a song that sounds muddy and a song that sounds fresh.
GOYB sounds pretty fresh and crisp to me. I hope there's more to come with the rest of the album.

Back
Top Bottom