NLOTH is Larry's album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gweeps

War Child
He impresses me the most on this outing. His best work since Achtung Baby no doubt. Mainly because they actually let him drum this time.

Yes, agree. Larry and Adam are both let loose much more on this album and it shows. I am in the camp of U2 fans that thinks Larry is a brilliant, under rated drummer in general, not just an adequate drummer. As a result, I think he has high standards to meet. He was basically the star of War, adapted very well to the UF transition(Bad, Pride, Wire, UF title track are among my favorites from Larry), drove JT, especially on Exit, Still Havent found, Bullet. He was also in top form for AB- Zoo Station, Fly, Acrobat especially.

ATYCLB and BOMB definitely saw Larry especially take a back seat in the mix and in the songs in general. There was not much space in these songs to drum creatively, like there had been in say, WOWY or Acrobat or Wild Horses or most of UF album. Larry was not able to fully showcase his talents.

An example. I love Miracle Drug, OOTS, etc, but the focus here is on putting out a compact song as opposed to building the song around musical ideas, etc. Edge does some great guitar work, Bono screams over it, etc. It seems like U2 thought that building the atmosphere, etc would make people lose focus, so they had to be hit with straightforward songs.

Now, I like ATYCLB and HTDAAB 100 times more than most of us here, but listening to NLOTH really makes you appreciate just how much more is put into the music and the atmosphere surrounding the song. It shows especially in the rhythm section, and especially with Larry. Highlights:Breathe intro, GOYB, SUC, Magnificent, F-BB, the subtlety of Cedars, could go on and on. Larry had a spectacular record.

if nothing else this album + interviews surrounding the album should end a lot of shite that's been going around re. Larry on this forum

probably won't though :shrug:

Larry and Adam.
Seriously these guys astound me here. Larry is playing different stuff rather than the boring standard 4/4th stuff, and Adam is paying little riffs rather than always the same 8th notes!
Did they get lessons?

I know they started lessons when they were working on POP. They probably were continuing to try different things.

Yes, but that wouldn't explain why they're suddenly such great musicians.
ATYCLB and Bomb were musically incredibly boring on their parts.

Adam got lessons in 1995 from the author of Bassplaying for Dummies.

Yes, but that wouldn't explain why they're suddenly such great musicians.
ATYCLB and Bomb were musically incredibly boring on their parts.

Adam got lessons in 1995 from the author of Bassplaying for Dummies.

I'm sure they made choices during the last two records for musical reasons to bring back the fans they lost during Popmart. U2 is capable of Passengers if they want to but they want a large audience to play to.

This thread speaks the truth, thank god the drum beats on NLOTH were nothing as basic and creatively deprived as on the last two albums.

Well done Larry. :up:

Here's a shock. According to Bono, Larry was the reason for the delay. USA Today article.

At Mullen's urging, the band had no timetable and missed the lucrative fall release schedule.

By briefly considering a late 2008 release date, "we lost our way a bit, but when we blew out the deadline, we came back," Bono says. "When anyone said, 'Look, we have to put this out,' Larry said, 'Oh, it's going to ruin everything.' We were making music for its own sake and for each other, and Larry wanted to keep that as long as we could. It was a lovely thing to be lost in."​

'Horizon' evolves with U2's audacity, creativity, innovation | U2 news article from @U2

Back
Top Bottom