NLOTH is in fact an evolution of Bomb.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoyOnTheHorizon

Refugee
Just a different (and maybe funny) way of dissecting No line and making a parallel with Bomb.

No line On the Horizon - As Bomb has no real opener this the first improvement.

Magnificent - The epic City of Blinding Lights wanted to be.

Moment of Surrender - As emotive as Sometimes just not boring.

Unkwon Caller - Everything Miracle Drug wanted to be. Or as good as Original of the Species and Miracle Drug, together.

Crazy Tonight - A song for the girls, but there is much more going one here than A Man And A Woman.

Get on Your Boots - Vertigo in a more modern take.

Stand Up Comedy - All because of you but with good vocals, good guitar work and some groove too.

Fez Being Born - A trip to somewhere else out of a place called Vertigo.

White as Snow - One step closer prt2 but in this case a good song.

Breathe - Everything that Love and Peace wanted to be.

Cedars of Lebanon - Another not so good closer but at least it's not cheesy and we don't have to hear "always pain before a child is born".

Ok, ok i've been harsh and acid with some of the ideas above. I have a higher simpathy for Bomb that i'm showing here. But as i think Noline is much better i thought that it's was a good way to show it. :D

:tsk: I like Bomb so I won't play your game...
but yes, NLOTH is not a "revolution" to HTDAAB like AB was to R&H.
HTDAAB --- NLOTH is like a change they made with WAR --- UF

imo

To a certain degree, NLOTH is still U2 looking back, recycling old ideas. But whereas the previous two albums were heavily influenced by 'early U2', this album also sees them retracing some of their best '90s moves. It truly is a greatest hits album.

I agree with the guy who said that, although this is not any R&H-AB revolution, NLOTH equals the evolution from War to TUF.

I accept the similarities with the last two albums, but this one still feels different. There are some similar landscapes but, NLOTH is much more dynamic and makes ATYCLB and HTDAAB look unidimensional.

NLOTH isn't a complete break from BOMB because they still haven't shed their "niceness" factor. Once they don't feel the need to be "nice" and reassuring, as in songs like CT, SUC, parts of Boots and Breathe...then we'll see some really good shit. Bono should know, most of us are adults and aren't going to become atheists and start taking drugs just because we don't get our fist pumping nice reassuring anthem to keep us warm at night.

NLOTH isn't a complete break from BOMB because they still haven't shed their "niceness" factor. Once they don't feel the need to be "nice" and reassuring, as in songs like CT, SUC, parts of Boots and Breathe...then we'll see some really good shit. Bono should know, most of us are adults and aren't going to become atheists and start taking drugs just because we don't get our fist pumping nice reassuring anthem to keep us warm at night.

Good one :up:

Songs of Ascent should be right up your alley. Everything we've heard about it says it's more experimental, and it's probably not going to have as many "anthems" as NLOTH/HUTDAB/ATYCLB...Kickoff to a new trilogy, perhaps? :rockon:

To a certain degree, NLOTH is still U2 looking back, recycling old ideas. But whereas the previous two albums were heavily influenced by 'early U2', this album also sees them retracing some of their best '90s moves. It truly is a greatest hits album.

Yes, NLOTH is a summary of U2's career, recycling some old ideas, creating a few new ones as well.

However, I disagree with you saying ATYCLB and HTDAAB were heavily influenced by early U2. Early U2 to me means Electric Co, Stories for boys, Gloria, Rejoice, NYD, SBS, Like a song.... well, not 1 song is having the rythm Rejoice has.... so no, ATYCLB and HTDAAB were a return to classic "clean" U2, but certainly not early U2. It's U2 in 2000's, no less, no more.
NLOTH is far better and more complex and again I disagree with the "greatest hits album". :|

I agree, NLOTH completes the trilogy that is with ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Do you think U2 will do another trilogy or?

Cedars of Lebanon - Another not so good closer but at least it's not cheesy and we don't have to hear "always pain before a child is born".

Interesting idea here and I definitely see it more as an evolution than an entirely new direction, but I have to say that I'm not with you on the above; 'Cedars of Lebanon' is a superb song, perhaps the best song on the album and a brilliant closer.

Stand Up Comedy - All because of you but with good vocals, good guitar work and some groove too.

I'm with you on this one, though, except for the 'good vocals, good guitar work and some groove too' bit.

This, however is perfect:
Fez Being Born - A trip to somewhere else out of a place called Vertigo.
:applaud:

Of course NLOTH is an evolution of HTDAAB, which was an evolution from ATYCLB, which was an evolution from Pop, which was an evolution from... I could get backwards till I reach Boy, but I think you understand what I mean now. Every album is an evolution from the previous one and a departure from it, that can't be avoided, unless someone erase the four men memories.
I find quite confusing all this fuss about if U2 have reinvented themselves or not (even from the band quarters), I like U2 music, I like their sound, and don't see any need for them to get reinvented.
I know they made a great departure with Achtung, Baby, but honestly, it was because they found themselves at the end of a street with no way out, they made it again (for the same reason) with ATYCLB, which is as different from Pop as AB from R&H, but the circumstances now are quite different, it feels as if they were painting a landscape from the inside of the house and now they have opened the door and got themselves into the landscape, and it sounds wonderful.
All I ask U2 is to remain creative and sincere, to make amazing songs that still make me shiver after listening to this band for almost thirty years, I don't mind if they need to reinvent themselves, get lost in the music, be on fire or whatever, after such a long time I have confidence in them, I know they will do what they must, even say goodbye if they feel they can't do it anymore.

I can't understand the hate to HTDAAB either, maybe it's not their best album, but it's a great one, I like it very much and I particularly love some of its songs, for example Miracle Drug, whose lyrics are amazing and inspiring. Sometimes when I read the things people write here about this album I can't but think that there's quite a lot of snobism to pretend we really know more than we do about music.

bomb was ok. atyclb good. this last album best album since AB. Ranks as number 3 all time favourite. Lets remember the last time bono wrote in 3rd person it was AB. And that was fantastic.

i disagree with basically everything in the original post, especially the song comparisons. crazy tonight supposed to be man and a woman? what? miracle drug wanted to be unknown caller? no, they're all completely different. granted, I do like Horizon much more than Bomb, but I think the comparisons are waaaaaay off base.

Back
Top Bottom